New brake pad design for Punto 2012.

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by naveen, Mar 22, 2012.

1. naveen

naveen

Hyderabad
    Just called my Service Advisor to check the availability of Punto Brake Pads, first question he asked me was which model is yours (Mine is Oct 2010). On further enquiry he confirmed that 2012 Punto's breake pad design is different from the old ones.

Till date I have clocked 28k and this would be my second set, first set was changed during the 15k service. I guess fiat might have changed the design to increase the life of the break pads.

Does any one have more information about this ?
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I am satisfied with the older brake pads somehow. My odo stands at 38k and I'm still on the stock pads. Even my SA told me change the pads at 15k which I refused, so recommend to check the pads yourself before changing. A lot depends on the usage, whilst planning I may change it along with rotors.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  3. I too agree with teky that pad's life depends on one's driving style, but by far from what I've heard from many owners is that the A.S.S. is pushing everyone to change the brake pads in every service. I was also told by Gem Motors in Coimbatore for the 15k service of my Linea that brake pads and rotors needs to be changed, but I insisted that they should not change it as I knew the condition of my pads. I'd suggest everyone to examine the pads yourselves before deciding to change them.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    All of you here are right.
    My 2 cents here would be, yes brake pads life depends on how one drives and the condition one drives in.
    My first change came at about 15k as well and during that time I had done some really long drives and heavy brake usage in ghat sections .

I'm approaching the 30k mark and i can hear right front squeaking when i gradually apply brakes But the pad depth is still very much there and i can use it for another 5-10K i guess.

Also its always best to change brake pads and disk together the reason is when you have new pads put against old discs the concentric rings that the old pad would have written onto the discs will mismatch with the contours of the pads and the efficiency might reduce.(As told by A.S.S)
    I'm not too satisfied with this response, but lets see..
  5. punto

punto

Bangalore
    How do I check the brake pads? I mean how do I locate the pads and how do I identify if the pads are OK or needs to be changes? Sorry for a very basic question but I need to learn things gradually :D
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    if you're car has alloy wheels its extremely simple to locate brake pads.
    Look at the front wheels through the alloys you will find a silvery disc (this is the brake disc) . If you follow the disk to you're right you will find a black housing and inside that are the brake pads.

Redirect Notice

Generally its difficult for regular guys like us to just see and decide if the pads needs to be replaced.(At least I cant).
    But most certainly as the pads begin to ware out you will hear squeaking noise under gradual braking, this is quite audible and you will hear it even with windows rolled up. thats the time you have to get it checked and see if pads need replacement
    1 person likes this.
  7. punto

punto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the details. My punto doesnt have alloys, so will have to rely on SA.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    If you can remove the wheels you'll have complete access to check the pads and rotors.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Not necessary to change disk unless there are any scratch marks.
    If you have uneven wear of disk then disk changing is required.

Generally brake disks lasts upto 80K to 1 lac KM.

If there is frequent disk wear then problem is in brake calipers.

Service centres change brake disks unnecessary to hike repair bills. ASS should find the root cause of uneven wear of brake disks.

I never required change of brake disks of my former cars even I clocked 1-1.5 kms. Fiat UNO,M 800 & Alto, M Dzire ( Vxi) & Punto 75 HP.

Currently I own Dzire DDiS & 90 HP. Disks are fine.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    What do you mean by scratch marks ...
    I mean I can definitely see concentric circles on my disks
    Are you talking Abbot the same
    Thank you fore the insight. .. I now have info to fight with these guys