1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New 2013 T-Jet vs Remapped 1.4 FIRE Linea Emotion

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Maxtor, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    When I saw the news about the launch of the new T-Jet I decided to write about my experience of my remapped Linea for the benefit of other Fiat owners and prospective owners. I mentioned it in the new T-Jet launch thread and later thought of making a thread about it since what I say here may prove to be quite useful if you face the same problem like I used to, and are also reading about the T-Jet launch at Linea prices.

The 'new ' T-Jet is as good as a remapped ordinary petrol Linea. The launch is nothing but a repriced T-jet which is now selling at a lower price now.

Now about the remapping and my experience. When I bought the Linea Emotion Pack in 2010 I used to struggle with the pick up as it used to feel like sitting on a slow elephant when starting from zero. The worst part was that in bumper to bumper traffic, cars from both sides used to come in front of me easily as though I had slowed down the car just for them to get in front of me, the car used to lag so much. I got quite fed up with this and decided to do something about it other than just selling off the car. I did a lot of research and decided to instal Kiirus product in 2011. It was only then I got good pick up and excellent torque, and I considered my mission as accomplished.

My car feels like a T-Jet since then - and yes I have test driven a T-Jet just to be sure. Heavy traffic or open road the car just zips. In fact it is much easier to drive because it has much more torque besides more pick up. You can use 3rd gear from a very slow speed right upto 70-80 easily.

I had about 10k on my odo when I got Kiirus and now I am at 35k. Have run less compared to other cars bought at the same time since I have always had a second car(but do prefer the Linea over the rest)

I read about Kiirus right here(where else!) and got in touch with Abhishek the owner of Kiirus when he did a Delhi trip. Very good service and was done in about an hour. No pre-surgery or post-surgery requirements ;-). What he does is remove the ECU from the car, plug it into a computer and send the file and get it remapped through an expert in Italy and then re-instal the file back into the ECU.

He had told me that he could do it even if I did not visit Mumbai by sending the ECU over but preferred to wait till he visited Delhi.

After the remapping I have done extensive city and outstation drives including hills and never faced any problem. Went through 1 full service of 30k km but there was nothing reported amiss.

In the case of Pete's tuning box which is also quite popular, especially in other cars, you have to remove the 'box' when you go for your car's servicing.

If Fiat continues Fire you can get yourself a cheap T-Jet by buying a Fire Emotion and getting it remapped with Kiirus. On the other hand if you own one of the elephant-slow Lineas you can get it remapped and enjoy the great pick up and torque. Unlike Pete's you don't need to fiddle with anything and no one can detect it and finger you while servicing etc. No 'side effects' either.

What did it cost? At that time in 2011 he charged me about Rs 21k and he did mention that he was giving me a low rate since he wanted to establish himself in the Delhi market. But even if it is worth twice that, it is still worth it seriously.

It also impacts mileage positively - I stated getting 1-2 km more per litre, mainly due to less gear changes owing to higher torque, maybe.

No need of buying a T-Jet unless you want high GC and a few goodies thrown in. Get innovative and save some money!

(Disclaimer - I am not affiliated with Kiirus , just my experience for the benefit of others especially those who might be thinking of buying a Linea)
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    6 people like this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    The goodies available in Tjet like makes Tjet better buy than Linea NA Petrol.

A Turbocharged Petrol Engine: Better Technology than any remapped Linea NA.
    16" Alloy wheels with meaty 205 section tyre.
    Genuine Leather seats.
    The badge TJET :evismile
    Nice & xxxy chrome exhaust tip.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Imagine a remapped Tjet power will be some where close to 150 BHP !! It will just blow away any car in the segment.
    7 people like this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Maxtor,
    Nice review about Kiiris remap :) .
    do they have tuning box ?
  5. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    If a remapped NA Linea feels like a TJet , I wonder what a remapped TJet will feel like.. :eek: . I remember reading the quoted figures as 140 BHP and 250 nM ..

I wish there were user reviews on remapped Jets.

Maxtor , did you by any chance get your car dyno-ed before/after the remap ? In any case , good to hear that there have been no side-effects till now. Long term reliability is a big issue with critical modifications like these. :)

Are you absolutely positively sure about this ? I remember reading that the Fiat ECU's have some sort of a counter which records the number of times the ECU has been flashed/modified. Probably unknown to the average Fiat technician but it probably exists.
    1 person likes this.
  6. PuntoMJD

PuntoMJD Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Means remapping is just only modification in ECU firmware?

After remapping we get better power/torque and mileage then why manufacturer doesn't try this at their end ;).
  7. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    This is the 1st thing came to my mind when I read Maxtor thread. Someone should give it a try with T-Jet & Kiirus combination.

This is what I read on Kiirus website-
    [TABLE="width: 94%, align: center"]
    <tbody>
    [TD="class: title12red, align: left"]For turbocharged petrol cars[/TD]

[TD="align: left"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    <tbody>
    [TD="width: 30, align: center"] blackicon.gif [/TD]
    [TD="align: left"]Up to 25% more power[/TD]

[TD="align: center"] blackicon.gif [/TD]
    [TD="align: left"]Up to 25% more midrange torque[/TD]

[TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [TD="align: left"][/TD]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

Also from their website-

http://kiirus.in/at-logo46.html
  8. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Leave aside remaps , I guess the question which precedes is - why are some engines actually detuned ? Probably the short answer is because the engine will be used in different countires ,using different grades of fuel and under different climatic conditions.

As to why remaps are not OEM , I think it is because manufacturers are somewhat conservative as far as the engine specs/design are concerned and they have to consider the saleability aspect as well.

Consider this purely hypothetical example - a well-earning late-twenties lady goes to take the test drive of a newly launched 10 lakh rupee sedan with a turbo charged petrol engine churning out 180BHP and 300nm of torque. During the test drive , the car does glorious wheelspins in every gear , leaves rubber burnt at every stop light and even has a small brush with another car because of the torque steer.

Do you think she will end up buying this "powerful" car , even though it might have all disc brakes , ABS/EBD , dual airbags , reasonable FE etc etc. ? Now replace the lady in question with other typical prospective buyers - family of four with two kids , families with parents in tow for test drives and the like. How many of them do you think will end up buying this car ?

Those who do end up buying such a car , or its likeness are the ones who have the TJets today , or remap their NA's :D
    4 people like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Kyunki Saas bhi kabhie Bahu thi ::V

Depends on the interest.When egos and atiitudes are on the roads the sluggish car automatically behaves well ;) :D and i have experienced this and that given me a real scratch to head to go for tuning box or not.Today also having that keeda of tuning box, but just to know how the engine reacts.
    Remaps also helps typical prospective buyers.
  10. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Moreover... all car companies play it safe. They don't extract all from their engines because they have a lot many things to see. Balance between power and FE and most importantly the emissions, the engine life, etc is looked out for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.