1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need to buy a petrol car by next one month.

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Alone, May 31, 2017.

?

Options:

1. skoda Rapid 1.6

35.3%
  2. Creta 1.6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Vento 1.2 TSI

35.3%
  4. Honda City

23.5%
  5. Verna

5.9%
  1. Alone

Alone Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just 3 days ago sold my 4.5 years old Punto 1.3 active with 30000 KM.
    Now need to buy another car. But this time petrol. I will buy through lease plan to save income tax but planning the keep the car for long term.

Interested to buy T-Jet 125S but seems two issues:

1> Seems due to too few selling FIAT may stop this car.
    2> Very low milage : people mentioning 5-8 KM ? Is this true?

Is TIPO coming by July 2017?

Within 10 L ex-showroom what is the best alternative?

Rapid/Verna/Vento/City/Creta? Pl. advice. (Petrol only)

Safety, performance, keeping for long term, comfort are key selecting areas for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Creta
    Rapid
    Honda city
    Vento

Reordered it as per overall quality and value and liking.

3. moksh

moksh Superiore

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Go for 125s or Vento TSI

4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Rapid 1.6 and Creta/Verna 1.6 petrol engines are commuter grade at best. Vento TSI is brilliant but it is automatic, something I am not very fond of. The upkeep costs (including spares) are on the higher side as well. The city has a great 1.5 high revving NA mill but as a car it just cant keep up with the competition as far as the driving feel is concerned. It will be a big let down after driving a Fiat IMHO.

Now comes the 125s. Without a doubt its truely the most VFM product in the segment. It has the biggest turbo charged petrol engine (in the segment) which is super fun and is now available a a higher tune as well.

On the FE front: I have always felt that one can extract good-great FE from a turbo charged mill, even if its petrol specially on the open roads provided one is able to make use of the early torque.

So, if its automatic, go for the Vento TSI, if its manual, 125s.

5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think spares should not be an issue so TJET should be fine. The FE can not be that low. Even Accords and Camrys manage that type of FE.

If I were you and had to select a petrol car out of the list you mentioned, it would have been the Honda City for me eyes closed. But since you have got used to FIAT's driving dynamics and build quality, I am not sure how much would that be an issue for you.

I would personally stay away from Vento (TSI and DSG for sure) and Rapid (relatively) because of the maintenance costs alone.

6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Alone

It is not clear what is your daily running? Will it be city driving or highway? Are you mileage conscious, if yes then would suggest the new Swift Dzire which is launched recently.

Since you are already aware of the situation regarding Fiat services, would suggest to look for other options. Although I would have loved to suggest you the T-jet. IMO dont look at VW brands, they will prove expensive in the longer run. Too many City's on the road, hence would not suggest the same. Creta I think will cross 10L.

PaddleShifter likes this.
  7. Alone

Alone Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear Friends,

A BIG THANKS to all of you for your valuable time and advice.

As I already mentioned my first priority is safety and none of the Jap/SK/Indian cars full fill that criteria so only my option is european cars such as : FIAT/VW/SKODA.

After driving 31000 KM in last 4 years I feel I am correct.

So no City/Verna/Creta/Hexa please.

My maximum budget is 10 L . ex-showroom. Also only Petrol version as my daily use 30 KM only. Any once or twice long family trip (max. 800 KM). I am planing to keep the car for 8-10 years. As I will buy the car through leaseplan so till the car is under company name (max 3 years) till then I have no tension. But once the car is in my name fro there I have to take take of all the cost.

Before I proceed further let me share some news. :)

Seems JEEP Compass pre booking starting from 15th June. And the base price will be less than 20 L.
    Dreaming to book the base version but seems it will be too far fetched dream for me. :) (source : JEEP Call center).

So my options :

1: Fiat TJET 125S : All tech parameters meeting that I need. Will take the TD today.
    Concern: a) very low mileage ? ( many friends here mentioned it is not a concern. Thanks.). The yearly maintain cost seems to be 9K -10K.

2) Will FIAT sustain i long tear in INDIA? So poor sales? Came to know Vector Motors , Hosur Road, Bangalore is going to be closed.

2: Vento 1.2 TSI OR 1.6 top end. :

Today took TD from Hosur Road dealer for 1.2 TSP Highline +.

Drove the automatic. I love it. Back seat very comfortable. Though GC is 163 mm but the car passed all high humps and bad road in superb and so easily. I am surprised. Really. Vevy nice engine, break, suspension. But ...There is but and finally Vento deleted from the list.

Why?

Concern:
    1> Very high maintain cost: The sales people told it will be 12K - 15K .
    2> The Vento Highline version STOPPED!!!!!! The Highline + is the new topend. and it cost atleast 12.4 L for auto and 11.1L for manual. In next 2 weeks Vento new version will be lunched with 16 inch wheel. ( which is one of my main parameter). That will make the car cost 20 K more. Though the dealer is offering 50K cash discount still it is too much. Why ? Read the following.......

3: SKODA RAPID 1.6 Style Manual

Took TD today from Hosur Road Tafe dealer.

Both me and my wife, Daughter loved the look in the first sight. Very well build. Rough Body under cover. Premium interior. Strong AC, very low Noise level. No fancy look like ford/verna. Simply elegant look. We all love it.

Drive: I was very concerned about the low GC. Only 163 mm. I drove in high speed on very bad road (?) and one bumps.
    So splendid! Passed 100% without any scratch in under chassis. EPS speed sensitive steering fantastic. My Punto was heavy. By in Rapid it is different and I really got good feedback on that. Backseat very comfortable. Getting 75K cash discount on 2017 model.

Concern:
    1> Yearly maintain cost. As sales man and in the Skoda portal both mentioning around 8.5-10 K. I this really true?
    2> The 1.6 ENGINE to me very responsive and fast to me. Any expert advice/thought here? Any past experience?

Both TJET and Rapid 1.6 I am getting in around 9.75 L ex. showroom.

Main tech advantage in TJET:

1: 20 PS more power. -- Less mileage than Rapid.
    2: 27 mm more GC. -- But after taking TD of RAPID I am no more worried on this.
    2: 40 L more boot space. -- Not an big issue for me.

Any advice, opinion, suggestion ? Any better cash discount in JUNE / Pre-GST?

Thanks in advance.

8. moksh

moksh Superiore

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Alone You forgot the biggest point over here , Tjet is been turbo charged has a huge advantage of torque over 50 nm and 20ps . I bet when you test drive it you will feel the difference. Also probably not the major point but look at the tyres , Linea has got 205/55 R16 where as Rapid has got 185/60 R15 . Even Punto top gets 195/60 R15 . This also means due to the turbo the car needs extra traction hence fiat has given wider tyres. And its the only car surpassing 200nm torque in your budget.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    cassini likes this.
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Better increase the budget a bit and go for elantra

10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Between Rapid 1.6 and 125S it's a no brainer to go with the Linea. The difference in the FE won't be like chalk and cheese but the T-jet would definitely provide you more smiles per hour. Also don't forget that the Rapid being a Skoda would attract higher service cost and maintenance cost when compared to the fiat.

That 1.6 was great in a Polo but in Rapid/Vento it's relatively dull owing to extra weight.

cassini likes this.