1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need suggestions on Pune - Goa Route

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by pandemd, Apr 29, 2014.

1. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Road is fine i have travelled to goa from Pune on that road .
    If you are travelling with family i don't think your plan of leaving at 11:00 PM is good , This is what has worked for me

1. Leave Pune at 7:00 PM
    2. Reach kolhapur by 10:00/11:00 PM ( this time will depend on your driving)
    3. Stay at kolhapur for a night ( 4 KM from Highway , Towards kolhapur , You will first see orinet town, sony palace , Mahraja hotel at the left hand side ) ecnomical to good range everything is available.
    4. Leave from kolhapur at say 4:30 AM ( its summer ) , you should reach goa comfortably by afternoon.
    : You will feel fresh compared to all night journey
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I did Pune-Goa in the night on 30th December 2013. Started from Pune at 10PM and reached Goa entry at 5AM.

My suggestion for the route will be:
    Pune - Satara- Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Goa

To hit Belgaum to Chorla road the landmark is VTU university... It is very simple and all you have to remember is to keep VTU marked in your map. The route will be busy till Belgaum but from Belgaum to Goa via Chorla it will be hardly any traffic at that time of the day. The roads are butter smooth and ghat is not very risky. Very good radium indicators to assist the roads.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  3. pandemd

pandemd Novizio

Pune
    Hi all,
    Thank you very much all of you for suggestions. Accordingly I have changed departure time and return route as well.

We have dropped son of my friend so it won't be congested in rear now. We will take Kolhapur - Nipani - Uttur - Ajra - Sawantwadi - Goa route for onward journey. We will depart at 12:30 am on 2nd May, reach Kolhapoor by 5:00 am. Four and half hours for 240 kms is sufficient I suppose. Will have a tea break for half hour or so and at 5:30 so as to reach Nipani around 6:15 am. So that we can travel ahead in day light. Bye the way one of my friend traveled on this route two months back from Pune that too in night only. And as per his information there is good traffic on this route in night also. I had word with him yesterday night.

While return we will come back via Belgaum. This route is also very scenic. We will depart from Goa at noon and return by 10:00 pm on 4th May.

Thanks once again for valuable information. Once I complete the trip surely I will post a travelogue. I am very excited about this trip, as this would be my Linea's and my also first such long drive. Earlier I had done Pune - Nanded in June 2009 with my Indica. That time also I was only the driver.

Thanks and regards,
    Milind Pande

- - - Merged Post - - -

Hi Shashank,
    Thanks but route why Solapur ?

Milind Pande
  4. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Apologies... edited that to Satara.. Satara and Kolhapur in mind made it solapur :eek:
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    since this is going to be your first such long drive, i would suggest that please make sure you have sound sleep before starting. if you feel sleepy any time while driving, stop and take a power nap of 15-30 mins in the car itself and then start again
    2 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Chorla ghat is mostly good with the last 10-15 kms before Goa were bad. This is the status when I drove in this stretch in Sept'13.
  7. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune
    First of all I would not at all recommend to travel at night especially since you are with your family, kids. Night drive - absolute No no.

I have travelled 3-4 times to Goa and recently in November I took the Chorla ghat route since everyone recommended it. And truely the drive is amazing with v good roads.

This route is normally used if you are travelling to South Goa, however you can still use this route. Once you reach Sakhli, take right and via- old Goa go to Calangute. The distance might be slightly more, but the drive and roads would make it up.

My suggestion is to take the Chorla route and to start early may be 4:00am and then you would reach by around 1-2pm to north Goa.

Avoid night drive.
    1 person likes this.
  8. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    I still think you night travel will not make much sense as you will not have enough rest ( and family too )
    One good part is goa is not very long route , Please make sure of few things

1 . Recheck for spare fuse and bulbs , should be in that linea kit
    2. Make sure to check stepany and all tyre pressure . check for Car jack.
    3. Watch out for time between 2:30 AM to 4:00 AM thats when i found that trunk, tempo drivers makes most of the mistakes .

Happy Journey.

9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Milind,

As advised by others I wouldnt suggest the night driving coz even if you reach in the morning you would be tired and lose half a day recovering. Instead start early mornings around 5 am and reach there by 2 or 3 pm still enough to make it to the beach for the evening dip & sunset.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune
    Travelling through Chorla ghat at night must have been quite an adventure (and risky)! By any chance did you see any wild life?

When I travelled during afternoon I saw monitor lizard and a snake crossing the road.