1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need suggestion on my first trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by tiaf, Dec 26, 2013.

1. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    Hi All,

I am planning for a trip down south starting Saturday early morning to Kattumannar koil, Mayiladuthurai, Thirunallar and back to Chennai on Sunday or Monday.
    Which route is better - ECR or NH45 (Chengalpet/dindivanam route)? I want to cover the onward journey as quick as possible to Kattumannar Koil.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Its been a while since I did this stretch, but if you are looking to cover the stretch as quickly as possible my vote would be NH 45. With regards to the road conditions I guess someone who has done is recently can help you out.
  3. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai

I can vouch for the NH45 and its easily the best and safe option to travel. ECR is known for its coastal beauty but the blind curves and high speeding vehicles are not to my taste.
  4. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I took the ECR route.
    We started on 28th early morning around 5:30, and took the ECR route. There was not much traffic and stopped at Pondicherry and proceeded to Kaatumannar koil through Cuddalore and Chidambaram.
    Went to our native temple in a place called Muttam (close to Omampuliyur). Started back in the afternoon towards Thirunallar, stayed in Karaikaal.
    Missed the route somewhere near a place called Manalmedu and had to take a very narrow road adjoining Kollidam Kallanai and by the time I realised it was too late as it was a very narrow and bumpy road.
    The road was too narrow that even if an auto came on the opposite side, We would have been trapped. Had to go through this road for more than 20kms. Managed to go to Thirunallaru by 5:30 or so and stayed in Karaikal.
    Next day morning proceeded towards Thirupampuram and then went to Mayavaram and then started by around 2:00 towards Chennai in the same route and reached by 8:00.
    Traveled 650kms in 2 days and overall it was a nice trip. Odo is at 2900 kms.
    The average consumption values mostly shows 6 or 7, however if I compute the mileage based on fuel filled, it comes to around 15 or so.
    Will the avg consumption indication value improve over time and be more reliable?
  5. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Yes it would. With sedate driving 1.3 can deliver 25 KMPL. Wait for second service to complete
  6. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Sure its possible. On a spirited drive yesterday I got 17.8 km/l as an end result for 608 km. I was constantly doing 120 and occassional 140's when swifts and dzires provoke me. Also 608 kms include the worst roads from coimbatore to palakkad where my FE reduced significantly.
  7. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes it will definitely improve. When I drove my Linea 1.3 MJD between 75 to 85 Kmph, I got mileage of 23.7 Kmpl and that too before the service. I yet to check the mileage with the same speed after the service is done.
  8. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    I made the mistake of not changing the units to km/l for consumption figures and this was quickly spotted by our Patchyboy (Rajan).
    Thank you Patchyboy, requesting you to please be active on the forum.

My MID displays average figures of 16+ now which is correct as per my calculation based on fuel fills.