1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need some inputs on the folowing cameras

Discussion in 'Photography' started by gautamkhadse, Jun 29, 2010.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Need help from TFI members

Hi guys, I need to select a camera.

My requirements:
    - good zoom,
    - DSLR like looks (I hope Fiat owners understand the looks part ::V ),
    - good photo quality and
    - VFM option below 15000INR (preferable close to 10k).
    - Fairly trouble free (I dont want something like Volkswagen in the name of German engineering and a premium brand but with lots of troubles in actual)

I have short listed (in order of preference):

FujiFilm S1800
    http://www.gadgetsguru.com/fujifilm-fin ... -9583.aspx

Nikon COOLPIX L110
    http://www.gadgetsguru.com/nikon-coolpi ... -9339.aspx

Sony DSC H55
    http://www.gadgetsguru.com/sony-dsc-h55 ... -9925.aspx

Canon Power Shot SX 120IS
    http://www.gadgetsguru.com/canon-powers ... -8731.aspx

Olympus SP-600UZ
    http://www.gadgetsguru.com/olympus-sp-6 ... -9676.aspx

Some doubts:
    - I have seen Sony Digicams in action but I have seen that they leave significant Red Eye even after "Red eye removal" turned on while taking pics. Your thoughts guys?

- Most of my friends' use Sony. I guess it is like Maruti but I dont want t buy it just because everyone else is using it.

- FujiFilm cameras look like DSLRs and that is what has made me drool over Fujifilm S1800. It has a lot of manual settings. But I dont find too many reviews of FujiFilm cameras. How are they? I heard somewhere (on a forum) that:
    - Olympus is a last minute entry (because of Mr Amolmane's testimony to its quality).

Some pics of Older Fujifilm S1500 (S1800 looks exactly same)
    [attachment=3:105j0rcw]fujifilm_finepix_s1500_02.jpg[/attachment:105j0rcw]
    [attachment=2:105j0rcw]fujifilm_finepix_s1500_006.jpg[/attachment:105j0rcw]
    [attachment=1:105j0rcw]fujifilm_finepix_s1500_09.jpg[/attachment:105j0rcw]
    [attachment=0:105j0rcw]fujifilm_finepix_s1500_14.jpg[/attachment:105j0rcw]

If you are still not bored and reading it:

Can someone look at the specs of these cameras and recommend the best one?
    And can someone share their views regarding Fujifilm? How's their image quality, reliability in India etc.

fujifilm_finepix_s1500_02.jpg

fujifilm_finepix_s1500_006.jpg

fujifilm_finepix_s1500_09.jpg

fujifilm_finepix_s1500_14.jpg
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Re: Need some inpupts on the folowing cameras

Well I have never used a FujiFilm camera, so it will not be proper for me to bash it. But the fact is I haven't come across any good recommendation for it from photography sites.
    I usually rely on http://www.kenrockwell.com/ and http://www.dpreview.com/
    Most of the time it is either Nikon or Canon at the top and Sony coming up close behind.
    Olympus are also known to be pretty good, but my experience with them is limited.
    I have used Kodak and found them to be wanting in almost every aspect.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

I finally bought Nikon D3100 DSLR.
    This camera has kit lens of 18-55mm, instead I opted for 18-105mm (based on expert - Grandeur's - suggestion).
    Total MRP - D3100 - Rs. 27,250 + Lens - Rs. 17,450 = Rs. 44,700
    I got it @ 40.5K, with one watch as free. :dancing

@Grandeur, actually olympus is best in zoom lens camera market in US, but in India they are not very popular. Either take Nikon coolpix or Olympus.
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)

@ravi: Good buy, look forward to first hand review and some clicks :)

@PaddleShifter: Checkout Panasonic FZ35, thats what you need. Best prosumer camera in market and perfect VFM.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula

@ PaddleShifter
    Canon Power Shot SX 120IS. My Sister have bought it just 2months back and it have very good quality and lots of manual settings. (It lacks quality a little in highest ISO Setting)
    Sony DSC H55 is also good with very good quality but it is a little slower when you want to shot multiple shots. i.e. after taking one shot you can't take next shot immediately like you can do in SX 120 IS.
    Macro mode is better in Canon Power Shot SX120 IS.
    Overall I would rate Sony DSC H55 better than SX120IS. Flash and color reproduction of sony is also better than Canon.
    For what purpose you want camera.
    If you like fiddling with settings on Camera than Canon. If you are Auto mode guy than Sony.
    If you like taking images of flowers etc in macro than canon. If you like taking images of distant objects than Sony.
  6. amolmane

amolmane Guest

To
    Paddle

Go for Olympus. You will definatly :dancing
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Thanks RoyJ, Ravi, Viny, Vijay and Amolmane.

I have been reading about these cams on dpreview forum as mentioned above by RoyJ.
    Panasonic FZ has been recommended by many on some digicam forums but I (for reasons unknown) do not want to buy a Panasonic product.

Nikon and Canon are like Maruti and Hyundai, they are the favourites in most photography forums. ::OO

Canon 120IS vs Sony H55 vs Nikon L110
    This is the main battle. All of these cams are good.

- I am not too inclined towards Sony H55 as it is like ANHC. They are charging a premium with less features and dated looks. :oops:
    - Fujifilm has the best looks and maximum features. It is said to have a solid build quality (100% reviews talk of it in every forum) with maximum number of features at that price. That is what keeping it in the race.
    I have not seen anyone using Fuji camera though the Wikipedia page (maintained by a Fanboy perhaps) says that Fuji is the largest photography and camera company in the world. Their cameras are used in Hollywood, by sports broadcast companies etc. :shock:

I might be sounding strange that I am neglecting the most important aspect of a camera- Image quality. I think all digital cameras are more or less equally good in broad day light. I have been using my phone till now and all digicams are way better than that I am using. :ugeek:

There is no specific purpose for using a camera. Just a new upcoming hobby to click some pics once in a while when I am (relatively) free. The idea was born when I saw this pic at a forum (TFI most probably). I do not have a budget to get a suitable hardware for this as I have a huge car loan.

I am an auto guy but I want to learn some manual settings and fiddling with settings so more settings options are welcome. :)

@Grandeur/Klub_Class/Clevermax/Karthik1100- Please give your opinion as well guys. Your Facebook photos speak volumes of your expertise in this area. ::T

[attachment=0:3np3k1iw]DSCF4236.JPG[/attachment:3np3k1iw]

DSCF4236.JPG
  8. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE

Paddle Shifter,

I do have a Nikkon L110. It is good. I have already posted pictures a few photos in TFI which link is as follows.

http://teamfiat.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=425

One more picture of my Farm.
    [attachment=0:1s31606o]Farm.JPG[/attachment:1s31606o]

Farm.JPG
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Fine its time to move out of my age old 500D and look for something more mid range.

After a fair amount of comparison i'm shortlisting the following cameras

1.) Canon 60D
    2.) Nikon D7000

I'm looking for a mid range DSLR and i found D7000 to beat canon 60D by quite a distance .
    My requirements are
    1.) good RGB reproduction (close to natural as possible
    2.) High burst rate (at least 7fps)
    3.) fast AF and more AF points as possible.
    (all the other stuff that may be needed)

Apart from these 2 if there is anything else on your mind please do suggest. I'm in no hurry just yet as this is going to be my final investment
  10. abhishekpachore

abhishekpachore Amatore

Pune
    I will recomend canon as I am using Canon 60D for last one yr and results are very good. I would recomend Canon over Nikon because canon has more lenses as compare to nikon and they are compatible with most of there bodys even with Full frame body's.

For results you can visit my Facebook page "abhishek pachore photography" page