1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need some inputs on the folowing cameras

Discussion in 'Photography' started by gautamkhadse, Jun 29, 2010.

1. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune
    I have been looking to buy a new camera . Initially i was looking to buy a SLR but I dont think am gonna make much use of it . I have been evaluating a few options which might get close to the SLRs . Woudl appreciate if some of you could throw light on these , also suggest alernatives

the options are

-Fuji Finepix HS 10
    -Nikon Coolpix p100
    -Olympus SP-800UZ

Suggestions and comments please .

@Neon Wheels : the samera that u got the other day . Was it one of these ?
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Re: Need some inpupts on the folowing cameras

Presently, I have Sony Cybershot DSC T 900. I am thinking of upgrading to DSLR with Canon 550D with 18-135 mm IS lens kit. At the duty-free shops in Changi Airport, Singapore, Canon 550D with 18 - 135 mm IS lens kit costs S$1681 [INR 57,154 - free of GST]. I had a demo there. Perhaps, inside Singapore, it may be less. In Australia, the same kit costs A$ 1178 [INR 47,120 - free of GST]. But, the catch is only local warranty for the entire kit. Canon India's RRP is INR 71,995, of course, with Canon India warranty for two years. It will cost less with Canon dealers in India. My query is: the price is mouth-watering with a saving of about INR 17 k [minimum] but without warranty. Is the saving worth foregoing the 2-year warranty? Fellow-Fiat'ers, kindly advise me. Till then, I am keeping my fingers crossed. :confused1
  3. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune

If you can arrange it from dubai you get it at almost the same price as s'pore plus you get one year international warranty . I didnt enquire about the prices for 550 D when i was there this time
  4. Re: Need some inpupts on the folowing cameras

Gautam, from my personal experience I would suggest that you better plan for the DSLR instead of the megazoom point and shoot cameras. You will always feel of compromising in between the point and shoot and a DSLR with these cameras. I would suggest you opt for either the Nikon or the Canon for digital camera. They seems to give you the best output in terms of more natural colors (may be because of the sensors used). I am not very technicaly knowledgable in this field, I think Sandeep (Grandeur) can give you better input in this case.
  5. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Take a look at Nikon D5000. You may want to go for it with this DSLR.
  6. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3

Whatever you buy : get a Nikon and not a Canon.

See : Nikon does not have to make printers, scanners, cartridges, fax machines etc to make money. They just make cameras and make hell lot of money from it :)
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

I too would recommend Nikon. I have used both point and shoot cameras with super zoom, and DSLR from all three manufacturers, Canon (Powershot S1 IS), Sony (DSC R1) and Nikon (D 5000).
    If you are not going to use high end features of the camera, carry multiple lenses, and is not heavily into photography, then there might not be much point in going for a DSLR. It also depends on your Budget. Some of the higher end Point and Shoot cameras now cost more than Low end DSLR. In that sense going for a Nikon D40, D60 or Canon 1000D may be worthwhile. Since these are slightly older models, just check their availability.
  8. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

I am having Canon SX20 IS and I am pretty happy with the results of the camera.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore

I browsed Canon Singapore website and came to know that Singapore local warranty [one year] holds good in India too. So, I may buy this kit during transit in my return journey. :)
    [attachment=0:2du86u04]canon.jpg[/attachment:2du86u04]

canon.jpg
  10. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune

Following are my 2 paisas:

1. I own Olympus SP 590 UZ (The older bro of 800UZ). The camera is excellent only in day light. When the light decreases the camera irritates you.

2. Macro shots in this camera are really good and even the chromatic abbreviations are well controlled. I feel the camera lacks in producing natural
    black color. The pic quality is only good till 200 ISO after that its useless :uh

3. The camera is very sturdy and good to hold. It has 26X optical zoom but to use the extreme zoom you should have tripod otherwise the pic quality hampers. It has image stabilizer but even it is useless at this zoom. The 26x zoom throws out a range of 676mm :dancing

4. The wide angle pic quality is good and good for the buck :dance

5. I settled on this camera only because Panasonic FZ 35 was not in stock and was very costly. My first preference would still be Panasonic FZ 35. The FZ 35 can eat my camera for lunch. My camera did cost me 21K with B&W and 2 nights holiday package in Goa. The warranty is for 2 years and Olympus has few service centers in pune. FZ 35 provides HD movie recording along with RAW pic capture.

6. My next choice after Olypmpus would be FujiFilm. Canon has Sx 20 in the range but I feel its priced a bit high.

7. Overall I am happy with my camera but given a chance and money I would go for Nikon DSLR :devilface