1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need new bulbs for punto: Rear light

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by amar_gahir, May 28, 2014.

1. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

Delhi
    Friends

I have been looking for brake bulbs (middle one in rear light assembly).

I have tried many bulbs from local market e.g. mica etx. It shuts down the all lights when i insert these new bulbs.

Kashyap okhla does not have these bulbs. Sick of chasing them

Is there any way we can get working or recommended bulbs.
    Br
    Amar
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    The brake bulb is actually the last one. The middle one along with the second filament in the last one turn on when the headlights are turned ON.

The Brake bulb filament on my car blew up last week. I opened it up and found that the rating was 21/5w. Got a replacement for Rs 10 and im all set. If the rating on the replacement bulb is different, the MID throws an error.

I believe the middle one is a single filament bulb, not sure though. Replace with exact same rating.
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  3. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mine was replaced by Kashyap Okhla during servicing.....check with other Fiat dealerships
  4. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

Delhi
    Finally got it replaced by Kashyap. Rs70 for bulb and Rs110 for labor :eek:
  5. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Replaced the OEM P21/5W break light bulbs( both right and left) with P10/5W bulbs, MID started throwing error and the AMBER bulb symbol was glowing on instrument cluster.
    All tail lights are working fine as desired, but with this error on MID.

Would like to know if there is a way to reset this MID error and AMBER bulb symbol ( staying with P10/5W bulb setup).
    Will reconnecting battery terminals will do the reset?
    Its not an error w.r.t Voltage as both bulbs are 12volts capable
    Current drawn by a 21W and 10W bulb will be different, so is the system even sensing this and throwing an error?
    How is this error code coming?
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Yes, the ecu measures the current drawn. U will need to match the OEM rating to avoid the mid warning. There is no other way to reset.
  7. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If thats the case, how ECU measures 100/90W headlight bulb in place of OE 60/55W.
    Hope many people on this forum are running this upgrade with out MID error, is this only specific to some lighting on the car or on every circuit.

Will staying long with this error and Amber symbol, leads to any other problems?
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    we can reset the error by two ways.
    1) Matching the resistance ( adding a resistor) value to fool the BCM think that rated bulb is in place, this can be done on swapping with LEDs and even for the EVO tail lamp cluster on Grande Punto.But the resistors dissipate good amount of heat.
    2)VCDS cable along with software, Many VW/SKODA owners have them and its very useful Diagnostic tool.Not sure if any of the TFI forum members are using this.With this we can reset the error and change the coded value on how BCM responds to such Exterior bulb failures/mismatch.

TFI members,any one using Diagnostic tool can throw some light here.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ]

Sure, Good question.

The Headlight and Fog lamp wiring is not on the CAN network. Meaning, it is not monitored by the ECU. Hence, there is no error.

The following lights are monitored by the ECU since they are termed emergency/important I guess.

- Parking bulbs inside the headlight.
    - Indicators
    - Brake lights
    - Number plate lights
    - The ones that come ON at the back when you turn on Headlights, can't think of a name for it at this time.

Everything else is not monitored by the ECU.

Staying with the error might not cause a huge issue but you will not know if any other important lights blow up unless you check manually, which can be termed as a potential risk I guess.

Also, I hate watching that amber light on the dashboard everytime I look at it, so If I were you, I would look out for options to avoid it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 6, 2015 ---

1) Correct, you can add appropriate resistance to increase the power consumption and fool the ECU. This can be done if you have the expertise yourself or know someone who can do it for you, Just that it becomes a lot more than plug and play when things like this are done. Off course people here are worried about tampering with wiring as well. So, it's you call.

2) I believe VCDS is similar to an OBD scanner? Based on my own personal experience, using a oBD scanner, yes, you can clear errors that were reported and cleared but you cannot clear an ongoing issue.

for eg: If there was a low oil pressure warning, you checked the oil and fixed that issue, you can go ahead and clear the error from the ECU using the scanner. However, if it is a blown bulb, you clear the error temporarily, but it comes back again since the ECU detects that enough power is not being consumed again.

For changing the coded value that you mentioned above, I do not believe you can do it with a basic scanner like OBD, you will need remap hardware and software like KESS and a lot of knowledge into reading ECU code. As far as I understand, it is not possible with basic scanner cables and MES software. If you are able to figure out a easy way to do this, do share the information with all of us.

-VJ
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  10. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    True, even I am not sure enough to solder additional resistor ( just to be safe on warranty terms).

I had read in other Forums (TBHP) , people doing healthy tweaks to their VW polo/vento with the help of VCDS.
    Also read that exterior light error message can be enabled/ disabled with VCDS.
    Hope the same or some other tool should be handy enough to do some tweaking in Fiats as well.
    Yes,Basic OBD scanners like ELM327 can read some imp parameters and let us know some error codes ( just informative)
    but we cant do any tweaks with it.

Not sure if Remapping hardware/software are the same to VCDS/OBD scanners hw/sw.