1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need help with MacBook! MacBook Air vs MacBookPro with Retina Display.

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Avinash, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Looking for an upgrade from my Dell 1558 Studio Laptop, featuring core i5, 2.4GHz, 500GB Hard-disk, 4GB RAM, 64-bit Windows Ultimate OS.

But, not satisfied with Dell at all. Had to replace the battery after 8 months, lots of panel gaps, screen panel is so flimsy and starting to loose, recently WiFi device stopped working, and had to re-place, and when windows Ultimate was installed, Dell Dock disappeared, unable to see the on-screen display for sound display, WiFi turn on/off, brightness display, Pinch zoom in/out no longer works, and now, it's heating up a lot than before. So, I have decided to service this once more, and keep this at my dad's office.

Was doing some research through net, and have decided to go for MacBook Pro with Retina Display or MacBook Air. Are APPLE laptops really trouble free? And, if Windows OS is installed along with X Lion what will be the disadvantage? Will it affect the performance or anything?

Which is a better option to go for? PRO with Retina Display or AIR?

As far as the configurations are considered, I definitely want something more than that of Dell's. So, looking for i7, 8GB RAM, and hard disk, minimum 500GB. And i will be using high-end CAD software most of the time.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Prajith

Prajith Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I have not used a MacBook, but i checkout all the tech gadget in the market. From what I know, I don't think there is any laptop as of date that can be compared to MacBookPro with Retina Display. i think its close to Rs1.5 L in India (lesser in US). If you want the ultimate laptop and if you have the money then don't think twice. If you think its too much for your requirement then you can consider other laptops.
  3. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you! But the Pro with retina display, doesn't have an optical drive to use CD/DVD. Is there any other way like, an external device that could be connected to Pro to use discs???
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. Prajith

Prajith Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Most of the slim laptops do not come with optical drive. You can get an external drive and connect it through USB.
  5. ameysane

ameysane

Mumbai
    AIR is designed for portability & 'PRO' is designed for performance.

If you are going to use high end cad then best option is PRO.

Retina Display model also has FLASH drive instead of Hard Disc so the read write performance is even better (& cost is higher)
    You can have external dvd drive (it's cheaper & easier to replace)

Retina models are more expensive by about 25 thousand, compared to a standard macbook pro.
  6. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Your configuration requirements point you straight to the Macbook Pro. If you are ready to spend for a retina display variant then look no further then the Pro.

I have purchased the base Pro two days back and this is my first post on TFI with it. The first day of using it & I can feel I am going to grow to really love it!
    1 person likes this.
  7. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    That's great to hear! I have almost zeroed to the mac book pro with retina display. Just waiting for September to buy it, as Apple always launch some new variants/ rectification of small errors, price correction, et all.

Have you installed Windows 7 on your PRO? Or are you planning to install Windows 8?
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    We can do that? I didn't know this was possible!

I use a lot of excel and pdf editor for my work, I was thinking I need to get the windows for mac software to get these things running on the mac. Is there another way out?
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  9. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, it's possible.

Pro with retina display doesn't have an optical drive. So, am planning to get Apple's portable optical drive. Check this video out, Macbook pro with retina display running Windows OS-7.

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display Running Windows 7 - YouTube
  10. Prajith

Prajith Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    That was a big surprise... Thanks for sharing it :)