1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need help in deciding a purchase of a 2012 Punto 1.3 MJD sports 90 HP

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by gamit, Jan 7, 2013.

1. gamit

gamit

Hi:

I am planning to purchase a June-2012 manufactured white Punto 1.3 MJD sports 90 HP. The dealer's OTR price-list quotes approx 8.5 lacs, including insurance, 5 yr. registration, handling, extened warranty and RSA (i.e. full package). I am expecting a total discount on the above price in the range of 75-80K. The final call is not taken yet, but I thought this offer is reasonable. Let me know if you think differently or have an advice for me on the price.

My main concern leading to this post (and my first!) is: What should I keep in mind before sealing any deal, given that it is a six month old vehicle. While I got the exhaustive list of fiat/punto specific PDI check-list from this forum, are there special checks for vehicles essentially lying idle in dealer's stockyard for such a long time? Is there a possibility that the lack of running this machine for the first six month makes it prone to other technical trouble five or seven years down the line, more so than a similar 'regular' vehicle. Of course, one typically compares the age with discounts, but I don't want a bad product just for a discount!

I tried extracting info on its non-selling, but got nothing meaningful from the dealer.

I will be seeing the actual product in two/three days and will be doing the PDI, so a quick response will be much appreciated!

Best,
  2. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    I dont find any issues of buying 6 months old vehicle but make sure whether it was lying in dealer stock yard or factory.

1. look out for any rust
    2. check the wires in engine bay, there is a chances of rate bites
    3. check the manufacturing date of battery if possible and you may ask them to change the battery with a new one.
    4. go for a test drive to check the mechanicals if possible
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Also check for ODO values too. They might have used it as TD vehicle too.
  4. gamit

gamit

Thank so much dhans4all and zenwalker!

I am told that the vehicle is lying in dealer's stockyard for a significant part of its age (6 months). I would have liked it to be in the factory. In any case, what differences could it make between dealer's stockyard and factory?

thanks again!
  5. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    one difference is that the dealer might not used this as a test drive vehicle also I always had an assumption that lying in factory is little safe than dealer stock yard.
  6. My dealer in pune told me that Punto sports is discontinued and regular 90HP will be available hence forward. So bargain a lot. You'll be one of the few who will have punto sports decals
    1 person likes this.
  7. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Same here..even AAdya SA's were saying Punto Sport is a limited edition version only..it may be discontinued but spares will be available (i.e acessories) which were anyways available before ..:)

So,good chance to bargain a lot..
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Which city are you located in - That can help decide on the price front.

Since the vehicle is manufactured in June, i would expect it to reach the dealer in say July - July end. So that makes it 5 months at the dealer - not a big deal.

Since you're already armed with the PDI checklist, inspect the car thoroughly, bargain hard for a good discount and bring the Italian beauty home. :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. Fiatian

Fiatian Novizio

Bangalore
    Discount of 75-80K on 8.5 lacs Punto will cost you around 7.75 lacs which is as good as buying emotion variant with 90HP complementary :evilsmile
    Its a good deal, take car for a long ride and observe every bit & corner carefully, especially for electrical, interiors, suspension and body color(for scratches).
    I had a similar experience buying GP, dealer got a car saying it just arrived from dealer stockyard, later on inspecting carefully I found car had lots of scratches over the body and interiors were dirty as if it was used for TDing. I refused to take the car, so dealer got another car which was up to my satisfaction.
    I have observed mostly the cars received at dealer showroom are average 2-3 months older then the date. So no problem with 5 month old car.

All the best :up
  10. We are also going to buy a Punto 90HP in some days.Is Punto 90HP Sport got discontinued or 90HP is available in all colors?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013