1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

need help :how to remove tar stains in my pearl white punto bonnet

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Sibi, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Sibi

Sibi Timido

Bangalore
    :confused::confused:My white Punto's bonnet and downside of the front grill part is covered with lots n lots of small tar dots . How to remove them ? I enquired with Fiat service centre ,and they told me nothing needs to be done ,it will go after a while. But it makes me sad to see those tar stains in my 3month old newborn :(:( .All these tar dots happened because I had to drive through a road which was getting tarrred.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Whats else can you expect from Fiat?

A simple way to remove the tar dots is take a cloth, soak it in Diesel and spread it on the dots. let it remain for 15-20 mins after which use the diesel soaked cloth to remove the tar spots. Ensure you do scrub the dots but gently rub them off. This is time consuming but effective.
    1 person likes this.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    turpentine and kerosene will also remove the tar well.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Use Diesel.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Sibi

Sibi Timido

Bangalore
    One of my friend suggested using diesel, but he cautioned to take expert opinion since mine is pearl white. "Diesel may leave stains and removes any wax on the paint surface thus removing the protection" .is that right? :-o
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Car Detailing thread on this forum strongly suggests against using Diesel/kerosense,etc. I use WD-40 for the same. Also i am seeing slowly the tar dots are going off, may be coz i use Armor All shapoo with tar removal features in it. Not sure.
    But i did not see much lately. Ill do more WD-40 treatment and observations and post here.
    1 person likes this.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Use Tar and Bug remover and your problem will be resolved.

Spray the tar remover on affected area wait for 5 mins and wipe it out and after that I would suggest pressure/foam wash of the car.
    1 person likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Turpentine is a solvent, but unsafe.

Best to use petrol, but only on the spots. Also later use wax more often on wheel arches or areas you mentioned the tar spots are more. It should act as an insulation to some extent from dirt and other contaminants eating into the paint.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    You dont have to leave the diesel cloth soaked overnight. Its just for 15 mins allowing the diesel to dilute the tar. Once done you can wipe off the same using the same cloth. No need to scrub.
    1 person likes this.
  10. animeshkumar15

animeshkumar15 Timido

BLR
    1 person likes this.