1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need Help for DSLR camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Drive_drift, Oct 11, 2011.

1. HI All,

I m looking to upgrade to a DSLR camera, I have very less knowledge in the DSLR but learning day by day.. :)
    I have shot listed NIKON D5100 body
    http://www.flipkart.com/cameras/nik...TA--&ref=99c719c5-b18b-412c-942f-0d6ab5261524
    and looking for the below lens
    [h=1]Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens[/h]http://www.flipkart.com/cameras/lenses/itmczcrkb3x8bzur?pid=acccx3sgwzyqa2gt&_l=i1zhIvACspKcg2kddAYImA--&_r=uduydHibpigFbK541s06mA--&ref=fe350f18-d219-44d6-b97e-22ddfd9c13c5

even NIKON D90 is in list:
    http://www.flipkart.com/cameras/nik...TA--&ref=0e669de5-3451-4e1a-9a2e-ba7facba0a10

But when i compare between both of this NIKON D5100 was way a head of D90 in features. But the Lens which come with D5100 is not so good. so opting for D90 lens.
    can you guys let me know if this is good.
    Budget is 55k
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

Stay away from D90 - it will be phased out soon.

D5100 is one of the best bet you can pick up now.

If you are totally new to DSLR, I would advise you to go with D5100, along with the kit lene. Once you get the hang of photography, you can decode better and buy the lenses which suits your needs.

Any particular reason to say the kit lens is not good?
  3. @anoop: i really don`t want to carry two lens so looking for 1 which will be enough of the photographs.. I know photography is a expensive hobby :)
    But the lens Kit coming with D5100 is very basic one. one of my friend who is owning D90 from last many year, suggested me to go for D90 lens which will full my requirements.

how are Canon DSLR?? anyone know..
  4. samurai84

samurai84 Amatore

Bangalore
    @Drive_drift:- D90 comes with 18-105 lens by default.... This lens is sufficient to learn the basics. I bought 55mm also for portrait snaps... I suggest you to take 18-105 as of now. Later u can buy 70-300 for long shots....
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Drive_drift: If you do not want to carry more than one lens, I would suggest you get a 18-200 VR but it is really expensive.

I think you can go ahead with your choices - the D5100 and 18-105, and later you can add lenses depending on your choice.

I do not have much exposure with Canon DSLRs, but I believe both Nikon and Canon are good products. Both have comparable products, but I was more comfortable with Nikon, so I went the Nikon way.
  6. thanks guys..

looks for expert advice on this. really want to have more research before i get one. problem is we don`t get open pieces to get the feel of the picture. anyway i will try to get one anyhow before i get this.
    Guys if i get in india i m getting this for 49k. need to find out what about US.. as one of my friend is coming to india. Would you guys suggest me to get the product from US. what about warranty? will be the warranty universal?
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

If you can, try what the deals are from UAE. Now a days, there is not much of a huge difference between prices in India and US. But UAE, that is a different place. I have heard Singapore is also good, but do not have any first hand experiences.

To get a feeling, go to any good stores like Chroma, staples etc - they usually have an open piece to try.
  8. samurai84

samurai84 Amatore

Bangalore
    @Drive_drift:- try to get it from US... apart from price u will get good quality one. I bought from US only. It has international warranty.
  9. I own a Canon 550D.. It is really awesome and VFM..
    What you will like:
    1. DIGIC 4 processor
    2. 18 MP, the clarity that you get is simply mindblowing
    3. Comes with a 18-55 IS, L Series Kit Lens
    4. Live View - Comes almost in every D-SLR nowadays, but I personally feel shooting through the viewfinder is always better
    5. Both Full HD video recording and 30fps standard video recording are supported
    6. All-New canon quick setup key-pad is fantastic and really helps you change setting without pulling your eye out of the viewfinder
    7. An option to plug in an External microphone just in-case you would need a more clearer voice for the videos
    8. Fantastic battery - A fully charged battery lasts for 500 shots
    What you will not like:
    1. The carrying case is not upto the mark
    Hope this info helps. Let me know your budget and I can suggest a camera!!
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

@aeials: MP and clarity do not go hand in hand, bro. A higher MP does not mean better clarity. Clarity is actually decided by the processor.