1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need help! Current ice setup with stock hu not giving quality!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by mohitl, Jun 21, 2012.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Minor correction here. You won't lose steering controls if you go for an aftermarket HU. There is a kit called Connects2 which is a plug and play interface. Costs about 4-5k and lets you retain steering controls. Ofcourse you will lose Blue and Me, but who needs that crap thing anyway?

And my friend, you need to listen to an ICE setup with an after market HU. You will definitely change your perception and would want to go for one. Esp something which can play lossless files. Ultimately its the source which is the starting point and it makes sense to invest in a good HU to extract the best out of your setup.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I am sure , for the thing you are looking that is perfect for your ears, you will have to dump the stock head unit. Without a better headunit i.e source itself other upgrade is useless.
  3. [/COLOR]Everyone, thanks so much for all the replies, helped make my decision!

I bought the Pioneer DEH-6450 BT, got it hooked up to the Solid 4; to which I connected my front Focal Access and a Pioneer Woofer (already had from before). My rear JBL GTO-949's are powered by the HU

AND IT'S A DIFFERENT WORLD NOW!!

I too recommend everyone here to get rid of the crap Stock HU, it simply has NO FEATURES. The sound has completely changed, and though you might think that the difference is due to the added sub now, it's totally not. I checked the sound without the sub, and all my speakers on the Solid 4, connected to the Pioneer v/s connected to the OEM HU, and the aftermarket HU scored over by leaps and bounds. No matter how much you try to tune, you will never get optimum quality because of the stock HU. I've had this setup for a few months now, and decided enough was enough.

I've lost my steering controls for the time being, didn't have time to get it done, but will have them back soon. Will be ordering the Metra Axxess or Connects 2 kit online.

Thanks for the help, and hope my words of advice are counted by the few who are yet using the stock HU.

P.S - It was earlier the Peripheral SVEN4 4-channel Line-out Converter that I was using with the Stock HU. It's up for sale now, in perfect condition for a 1000 bucks.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune
    only connects2 CTSFA004 will work on fiat cars. Dont try any other kits.
  5. Thanks for letting me know! Will make sure I buy only that!

Cheers!
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Also in the above model make sure the black box is STK272 and not STK274
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Also, NOT STK 277. I had 277 and it doesn't work.
  8. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    I was not aware that steering controls can still function with the adaptor. Regarding the after market HU, no doubt that you would get much better after market HU. One can go all the way upto a Bose provided there is no limit on money. But the point is, getting the most optimised output with the least input (in terms of after market modifications & cost). In punto, One can still get oval speakers but in Linea I don't see any possibility of installing speakers at other than door location, in which case i notice sound vibrations beyond certain levels. So if the options for acoustic placements of speakers are limited, I don't find it worhtwhile to go for a replacement of HU when the output that can be provided by soeakers in a acoutically constrained environment (after all the dampings on the door)

Personally, I'm also not happy with the quality of stock HU by Delphi as compareed to the ones offered by stock HU by Blaupunkt. My new Line mjd 2012 comes with a Delphi HU as compared to Blaupunkt HU in my 2009 Punto 1.4 . For those who want to notice whether your HU is Blaupunkt or Delphi>> When you set a custom equalizer & then move on to the bass & treble setting, the equaliser settings is overridden in Delphi (EQ indicator display goes away). This is not the case in Blaupunkt Hu provided in few Lineas/Puntos. In Blaupunkt HU, the equaliser can be set with custome settings along with bass & treble. The sound quality is simply awesome with the rear oval speakers. The other difference is when "Loud" is set in Blaupunkt, one can hardly notice the thump in the bass at low volumes whereas in Delphi the there is a increase in bass at lower volumes when "Loud" is activated.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Where do you stay? I would love to audition & appreciate your new set-up. Maybe I'm missing something divine other than a sub-effect.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Could please elaborate a little more, I am unable to get the point here.
  10. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    MY point is that in Linea there is hardly any scope to install after market speakers at any place other than the doors. Now with the doors there is a vibration beyond certain volume level when the bass is too much. Unlike Punto where I can install speakers in parcel tray without inviting any vibration the scope is limited in Linea. I cannot install speakers in parcel tray in Linea as there is a sun blind & brake light on parcel tray and need massive modifications. Which means I'm acoustically constrained to get the best sound output after a certain volume. So adding an amplifier or getting a new HU would not help.

I was told by a Blaupunkt service centre guy that Fiat has not spent too much time in making there cars acoustically sound so vibrations in the door cannot be completely avoided. Whereas in Vento there are special housing compartments in the door which enable clean output without any jarring or noise. Not sure if that is the case in other cars.
    Infact, I enjoy the sound more in my Punto than Linea because of this constraint.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012