1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need help! Current ice setup with stock hu not giving quality!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by mohitl, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out here! I'm using the stock Headunit!

I have a 2011 Punto 90 HP. Got it ICE'd with a -

Focal Solid 4 Amp,
    Focal Access front Component speakers &
    JBL GTO 949 co-axials for the back.

But somehow, I just don't get good enough sound quality. I have tried tuning the Amplifier too many times and I can surely say that most other cars with decent ICE produce much better sound than mine.

Now, has anyone faced this problem with the stock Headunit? Should I change the HU? Or WHAT SHOULD I CHANGE?!?!?!?!

Just plain confused, desperately in need of help folks!
  2. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    MohitL, Please be clear as in what is lacking in sound quality, Is it the volume which you are not happy with, the treble is high or the bass is low.

If any frequency is not getting produced correctly, you can adjust the EQ setting in HU as the output would be going as line input to the amp. Also, the the bass is not getting reproduced correctly, then it is possible that the polarity has been reversed.
  3. Thanks for the reply!

Yes true, Bass is not getting reproduced correctly, lacks a serious punch!

Volume too is not very great, anything above 12 starts cracking the sound...

There are only a few preset EQ modes in stock HU like Rock, Jazz etc. and settings available like you know are Bass & Treble only, cannot adjust MID in stock HU

Can you recommend some pro's in Mumbai who can fix this for me??

Thanks a ton!

4. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    From where did you get the set-up done. Sound would be cracking not because of the speakers but possibly because of the door vibration. If the bass is lacking, then whatever is the polarity in the left speakers in terms of positive & negative needs to be the same in the righ speaker. Otherwise, the crest & the trough generated in the left & right speaker cancel each other. I'm not very sure about the quality of Focal as I haven't tried them. Where do you stay in Mumbai?

If you want to set the equaliser your way, go to User EQ & hold down the down or Up key for a while (3-4 seconds). You would get a beep & you can then set up & different freqencies (7-8 bands)
    1 person likes this.
  5. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Take it to an installer/tuner. If the problem persists and if you dont't need blue n me, get rid of the damn stock one.
    I've seen a t jet with pretty good audio. Whats the secret? The owner got rid of the stock hu. :p
  6. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    Guys. Please resist the temptation to get rid of the HU. It's not that bad esp if it's a Blaupunkt Unit. Some newer Puntos/Lineas are coming with Delphi HU where some tweaking is required. A lot many say that component speakers cannot be powered by a stock HU. But I think the power generated by HU is more than enough. IF the bass is want is not there after all the corrections, go for a component at the rear/ better speakers or a sub but I think replacing the HU should be avoided as you would lose all the benefits/ steering controls.

I have a Fiat Punto with Blaupunkt THX-693 oval spkears in the parcel tray & stock speakers in the front. Awesome quality. Good Bass + Treble. No vibration
    I have a FIAT Linea 2012 with Blaupunkt front component speakers on the door & rear coaxial speakers on the rear door. Bass is good but not as good as Punto. & after 12-13 the doors vibrate. Here I'm contemplating replacing the rear spekars with component or going for a sub. But i don't think I'll ever get the HU replaced.
  7. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    I have Focal Polyglass components and focal coaxials rear. I have a FOcal Solid 4 amp too with a focal sub. All you need to do is install a Sub with the same amp for extra bass. In case you are looking for more then u can have a mono block amp to power the sub and the 4 channel to power your speakers.

I work on one 4 channel amp for the front component and for the SUB and i can say that the sound quality is excellent. Wiring also plays an important part and i have used E2. just try the same and u will get excellent sound output from your OE head unit
  8. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Yup, most people including myself can live wth the stock HU.
    Regarding the problem you are facing, do only the rear doors vibrate? Do the rear doors have 6 in speakers? If your answer is yes for both, then you better replace em with a 5.25 in co axial or 5.25 comp. The latter are not easy to find though. About your bass trouble, heres what I am going ro get done on my fiat - Iwant a bass effect that is not intrusive or meant for show off, and ia punchy enough to complement the treble. so I am going in for sub.
  9. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    I have component installed in the front. So the front doors vibrate in some frequencies after vol 12-13. For the rear, I have normal 5.25' co-axial speakers which give OK bass. The actual bass is generated by the front component speakers. Assuming the vibration cannot be prevented in doors, I'm thinking of replacing the rear speakers with component ones.
    I wonder if the vibration in doors can be completely eliminated. The Blaupunkt engineer told me that in Linea is not acoustically well built & vibration cannot be completely eliminated. Vento has a much better acoustics in terms of speaker installation in door. I never encountered the vibration problem in Punto because I got the speakers installed in parcel tray. In Linea, it's very difficult to install speakers in parcel tray.
  10. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A few questions here:

1. what Hi/low converter is being used ?? Is it a 4 channel or a 2 channel ??
    2. What is the placement of the tweeters ??
    3. How are the gains set on the amplifier ??
    4. What speaker wires are being used ??
    5. pls tell what is the max volume of your headunit ??

Now as for a little help

Do not tune the amp until or unless you what you are doing.
    Still If you wanna give it a try then set the gains at "0" first and put your headunit at 80% of the MAX. volume, now slowly move the gains up so as to reach the desired level of volume you want, note that the moment you feel there is distortion stop the gains there.

As for the lack of bass that can only be achieved with a subwoofer.
    6X9's do give a little bass but nothing great to talk about.

If you still feel the lack of bass then only a subwoofer can solve this issue.

upgrading to better comps or adding comps at the rear will serve no purpose as the capabilities of your HU are limited so it is advisable to stick with the speakers that compliment the HU.

Overall just change the rear co-ax's with a sub and you should be fine, stick to the same OEM HU if your reluctant to let go of the features.