1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need guidance

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by venkatesh s, May 24, 2015.

1. venkatesh s

venkatesh s Timido

hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi... am from hyd.....looking to buy punto75bhp emotion pack 2010 odo reading 47k.....quoted 3.7 lks by owner

Took it to av motors for check up......they gave me a list of defects which cost in total around 60k......like tyres change...alloys change.....clutch kit.....front windshield crack.......disc pads...coolent thermostat .......etc

So now i am in dilemma whether to buy a car with such a long list of repair works......are all of those changes really need to be done since service centres guys may be inflating things.....!!

And they took 500 for this routine check up.....is it the same at all fiat centres ....?? Seemed way too high for me......!! 20150523_175059.jpg
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @venkatesh s

Seems ok in the sense of plausible, saying this without seeing or driving this car.

But: the Ground Clearance kit seems potentially of no use to you whatsoever, and they're pricing that at 20000! Punto-s and Linea-s over the last 2 years have come with raised GC, and they're suggesting that you 'upgrade' to that new shocker etc set. Easily ignored, if you're on a budget, and if you in any case don't need the huge ground clearance advantage that results. Also, you could maybe get better prices for new tyres outside of the FASS, research that a bit?

cheers
  3. venkatesh s

venkatesh s Timido

hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @prabhjot yes....i dont have any thoughts of taking gc kit...!!

even without gc kit...that list /replacements cost is going upto 50k -60k.....thats what i & more than me my parrents are worried about....to take a car with such long list of repairs works to be done...!!
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Some of these items seem to be more or less normal, predictable 'wear and tear' things. Some you may postpone or even ignore. Clutch, tyres and suspension+any engine stuff may be necessary, the rest if not optional can be staggered? I am guessing that the vehicle otherwise rides, steers, brakes and drives well, and shows no signs of ill-treatment (eg untreated dents and scrapes/rust)? Also show it to a good outside mechanic for their opinion?

And bargain harder with the seller: the price may be a tad high for a 2010 car, even if it has only done 47k kms? The 'repairs' listed here don't suggest to me at least a further- or continuously- troublesome vehicle. But second hand car risk is always irreducible.

You must really get an expert outside mechanic to opine on it. Also, you could take it to the other Hyderabad FASS, just so you possibly get a different list with a prices difference, and can arrive at a better judgment?

Other, more knowledgeable TFi members than me will post their advice as wel.....

cheers, all the best
  5. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello venkatesh,
    Slightly off topic but relevant to your search, a fellow TFIan from Hyderabad is planning to sell his Punto as he is relocating. For sure I can assure you that the car is in a very good shape. I have already asked him to check this thread. In the meanwhile if you are interested kindly share your number with me on a separate note so that I can pass it to him for further discussions.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Tornado likes this.
  6. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Alloy wheels replacement?
    Car seems to be abused.

3.7 L is way too high for a car which has got such a long list of pending repairs. Also we buy the car to run on the road & not to spend time in garage. Visit to ASS should be as a result of running the car and should not be vice versa. You never know how the clutch behaves after replacement, and don't know how the cooling mechanism behaves after the thermostat change. Also since the car in question is 4 to 5 years old, expiry date of the airbags must be nearing & over, just check with FASS.

Better to check the car of the TFIan here.
  7. teja8784

teja8784 Timido

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @venkatesh s Hi I am planning to Sell my Grande Punto 2012 Emotion which I have purchased in August. Please share me your number or contact me on +919963766899. You can have a look at the car and also get it checked with FASS
    PradeepM likes this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The FASS seems to have find fault with almost everything. Whats the owner's response to this quote and why is the quote scribbled on a piece of paper when it should have been of Fiat letter head. After all they have charged Rs 500 for the same isnt it.

If still in doubt, would suggest to look somewhere else. Preferably with Hyderabad TFIians, I guess you already have received a few offers on the thread itself.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. venkatesh s

venkatesh s Timido

hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks for replies for all who replied.....!!

@@ghodlur...yes i asked fass for the same...to give it officially on letter head...they said...unless i replace them they wont give it officially....owner was not there at check up...i just informed him on phone....he says that.....ASS will obviously want to replace evrything whether necessary or not just to have sum turnover ....which may be partially correct....but problem is...how would i know what items from above list dont really require replacement or can be ignored...!!
    @@Tornado & others.....with the above list & added to that...car's insurance has expired(so extra 10k)...what according to u is reasonable price for this car...??? i asked him for a price of 2.5 -2.75maxxx

& can anyone say what is the expiry period for airbags...??

@@PradeepM thanks @@teja8784 will call u on that number tonight...!!
  10. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    According to owner's manual, you need to enquire about the expiry date of the airbags with the FASS.

Anyways, looking at expenses anticipated, for punto e p 1,3, cost would be Rs 3.0 L IMHO and for 1.4 i. e. Petrol Rs 2.70 L. IMHO.

BTW, can you post manufacturing date of all the tires?
    PradeepM likes this.