1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need Better Brakes for punto

Discussion in 'Technical' started by vtlreja2, Sep 25, 2014.

1. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hi guys, i need your help again.
    i have punto active mjd, i need to upgrade the brakes.
    Our gujarat's highways are most unpredictable, so need of good brakes are always there,
    now according to my research there are three options :

1. to have slot or drill on rotors
    2. to go for brembo brakes
    3. to increase the surface area of contact of brake pads,
    4. To Get ABS (don't know if possible or not )

now, to drill, i think the disc will loose its structual strength, moreover, its more for looks, its only my perception. heard its good at the time of hard braking as due to some heat dissipation. dont have exact details. experts please share some advice on it.

the slotted rotors, will eat up the pads too fast, only as per research, no exact stats though.

Brembo brakes, need to check is it worth or not, anyone tried it here ?

surface area of increment, how to do, no idea, can anyone shed light on this ?

how to get abs in active variant, would it be possible, if yes what would be better to do ?

Also i am running on stock 165 mm section tyre, if i upgrade to 185, will it help to improve braking efficiency ?

experts please shed some light on this topic,

Mods, please merge post if found appropriate location/post.

thanks in advance.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I'm surprised to read someone asking to upgrade braking on Punto. It's simply a benchmark in its segment and I've never had problems with it. Have you checked the entire braking system at first place including rotors, pads.

Upsizing the tires will definitely increase braking efficiency since you will have larger contact area.
    prabhjot and vtlreja2 like this.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Of all the best bet is get the Tjet Rotors and Caplier which will be a straight swap and if the budget of 25K for parts and 1K for labour is ok for you. However, do note that the Tjet brake pads costs 50% more.

PS: You cannot fit an ABS into a non ABS model.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I suspect the braking system in your car. I suggest to get it checked ASAP.

This is really surprising to hear from a Punto owner not happy with its brakes. And this should be the first such thread in TFI as well. :)
  5. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi @ vtlreja2.
    I guess this is the First Post that I’ve come across stating Punto’s brakes are not sufficient.
    My friend was driving his 90 hp Punto on a Ring Road sometime back, he was doing by 80 and he over took a Zen who was obviously slower than him, there were some Idiots who had stopped on the extreme Right lane and were having Smokes and Chai and chit chatting, resting there foot on the divider and to top it all the location they chose was simply superb, they were standing immediately after the left curve, as he was also on the right lane he saw these Morons at the bend, braked so hard that the Car stopped just close to the bike’s rear end, but the car slower than him just banged him, he suffered minor dent on the boot and bumper dis location, so I don’t think it was a mircale, it had to do with the car’s braking performace even though the car beind him was doing lesser speed coundnt’ stop on time.
    Now coming back to the topic, if your car’s done about 40k+ then I suggest you get the Dics checked for any step, because of this your brake pad gets out of shape and will be in effective.
    The drum shoe has a life of over 70+ but if you can invest around 4.5k it helps if incase you have done 40k+.
    Along with this you would also ensure you have gueniune Tutela brank brake fuild is put in and changed atleast once a year considering climatic condition, have the SA bleed the system.
    Trust me you either have issues revolving aroung fluid,dics,dics pads or brake liner, upgrading to something different require skill labour and its very a risky affair so if it was me I would avoid doing any mods on stopping sytems, plus not to forget you might get issues with warrenty, both regular or extended (incase if it’s still within the period)
    I heard Bosch was coming up with ABS systems as after market but it’s no where, it’s not at all possible for after market fitment of ABS.
    Also ABS does not reduces the Stopping distance, it only ensures your wheel does not lock up incase of wet/sand/muddy or even tarmac surfaces.
    Hope this helps.
  6. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the valuable inputs guys,

sorry i forgot to mention i got the remapped in my punto,
    to handle the extra power i need better brakes,
    mine is active variant without abs, so worried about a bit,

Well, i am not saying that brakes are insufficient in punto,
    but i am trying to be extra carefull. Also tires are skinny.

What i want is to avoid is, wheel tends to lock at the time of hard brakes or panic brakes at higher speeds, which is normal i guess,
    which could be dangerous on our highways, though i am safe driver, but have to be carefull.

How about brembo brakes ?

Also did anything is concerned with wheel balancing and alignment with braking capacity ?
    sorry i am newbie in brakes department.

thanks

regards
    vicky
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Stock 165 Section Tires are somewhat skinny for the punto. Coupled with that if you have a Remapped Punto 165 would not be the best bet for the job. Go for 185 or 195 section tires. It will greatly improve both your grip levels and Braking efficiency.

I think the tires should be the first Item you should look at to sort out your issue. Then you could think about other 4 options you mentioned if not yet satisfied. as without better tires, there will not much use doing other changes to the braking system.
    vtlreja2 and prabhjot like this.
  8. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i think have to change the tires first then check it again.