1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need any Palio 1.6

Discussion in 'TFI Classifieds' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Jun 3, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Ha. No I hadn't meant it that way.

Just the Palio stile and now the Linea t-jet. A bike and an LML before the Palio. Family going back to grandparents has had Fiats continuously, counting the old man's 118NE too as one.

But 'cultivated' and 'professed' fiat fan-ship is quite a recent phenom!:p

Looks like your wife and you are on that road too, no??;)

Wish you folks luck with the ASS: you should be fine.
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  2. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you. Even I did not mean it in any other way. I just assumed for some reason that you owned a Punto too and maybe a few Palios before that. I am a fan of nearly all things Italian. I even own a 1980s Italian made Olmo bicycle which is my daily ride. My dad was a fan of the 118NE and I will always remember the pindrop silent engine of the Uno which was entirely screwed by Fiat themselves.

My wife and I are fans of cars that display exceptional driving character. She admires precision and is very sensitive to irritation due to body roll :p

It is odd that it took us so long to actually discover how good the Palio 1.6s are and always will be. Perhaps it is because we started appreciating passion in manufacturing in all products only recently.
    kk27 and prabhjot like this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Sounds like you've got to add a Vespa scoot to your veritable garage of (indo)Italian, democratic, likeable, tight-handling, comfy, perpetually modern wheels!:cool:

What explains the affection for the Italian, if you don't mind sharing?

I wonder if you've heard of/know 'Hillram' (on team-bhp), from Hyderabad too: has a huge old-Vespa collection, a new Vespa 125, a budding old indian Fiats one too, to which he's added....an Z Orange Avventura? Sounds like an interesting-enough character, a businessman, the Butta guys might know him well, 'influential' with Fiat India (and Vespa/Piaggio India), it would appear.
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    The high cost is only because of imports. Majority mechanical parts will now be imported directly from Brazil. The quality is also superb.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    This is going to be a tough question to answer. So let me try.

For me, Germans make the best engineers. They are all about being precise and making everything work together perfectly. Only Germans can make a machine the size of a football field that is also capable of picking up a pin. For them everything has to be a long lasting, high quality machine. The process has to be perfect and followed to a T, so much so that this process is scalable and person-independent. People may die but the engineering will ensure that the product is continued to be manufactured.

Now if you approach the Italian way. Its about the people involved in the manufacturing. There is something called heart which is unseen but only felt. Why does a Ferrari inspire that feeling of wow? When you look at an MV Agusta or a Ducati 998, you see life in them. The Agusta is made by a family run business. Italians begin from the designer's end and incorporate the end user all along. So you see, each piece of engineering has the stamp and heart of the designers in them. The designers are allowed to experiment and add their character to them. So what happens is that each machine or art or service has that unique character that is remembered down the annals of history. Let me drag @kk27 into this. He has a Cinelli bicycle with Compagnolo components. He will agree with me that his Italian cycle has a certain character that is unseen in most other cycles. Look at this dream cycle of mine. Doesn't it make you go wow?

colnago-c60.jpg
    I posted C60 photo above to prove a point. Only an Italian can make even a bicycle so desirable. The design follows nature, never ending lines that keep you going round and round the product.

And then there is the imperfection too in their designs. For example, the Maserati Quattroporte looks like a dream. It is NOT a beautiful car. It is more regal. And you can FEEL that regalia in the flowing design. Maserati.jpg

But this car is so idiotic to set up and it has buttons on the rear of the steering which no one knows how to manage. Again a character that will vanish in the coming models. If it had been the Germans, such an error would have never creeped through. But Italians really don't care. Once the primary targets are met and they are happy, the remaining bits are just thrown in to get it out.

Brands like Bvlgari, Gucci, Prada make eye popping designs. All possible only due to passionate designers. On one end we have Nutella which is loved by all ages all the way to Pirelli who make some seriously brave looking tyres.

Why do I love them? Its because there is humanity in all their designs. The perfection is from the heart and the imperfection is from the human aspect. I hope I have put some tangibility in my abstraction. Thank you for asking.

And yes, I have heard of hillram who has a large collection of Fiats and Vespas. But my love for Italian engineering is the appreciation of everything Italian; be it foods like pizzas and lasagnes, clothing like Armani, coffee like Lavazza, motorcyles like Ducati, Cycles like Colnagos and Cinellis, straight razors like Maestro Livi, etc
    Vaibhav Rawat, prabhjot and varunrtr like this.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Bhau welcome to the S10 club. I am proud owner of S10 #482.

Awaiting to see the new ownership thread of the beast.
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you @Mabams1826 : We were actually wondering how to come up with money to buy a used car. But these 1.6s are such gems for their grossly undervalued prices. It is worth every bit the "risk" for some serious driving fun. Besides, if the wife also appreciates its soul, then why not?

And no, we won't have memories to share with the kids. Because they will be in the car to experience it themselves! :p

I did not know this. So when the FASS place an order for a part, it has to come from Brazil?!

Thank you @kedarbendre : The badge number of this one is 73. The ownership thread will take a while to come as there is a bit of denting/painting/decals to be done.
    Mabams1826 likes this.
  8. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    BTW Vidya.. the bike you put has the wrong drive-train :) it must be a Campagnolo.

I like the way Vidayshankar has explained the Italian touch. Yes the design is a lot more humane & invokes a whole lot of character. Tell me which scooter can be called sexy? I mean seriously.... a scooter! now that's what italian flavour is all about. Italians are about flamboyance & sex & beauty as much as they are about performance.

Take Campagnolo for eg. within bicycle drivetrains it's the most revered not because it's the best or the lightest, which it is.... but also evocatively beautiful as well.

2407_z_ergopower-chorus-groupset-2015.png
    sramforce_doubletapshifter_1000x1000.jpg

Now while both may looks good, but in the hands the Campy level sits just so right that those extra curves then don't feel like unnecessary bumps. Those make it extremely good to hold. And yes Campy is also a family run business which makes everything in italy. They were at the brink of bankruptcy but they held on to thier age old traditions while still improving on technology. And these are completely had built. these are the only bicycle shifters that can be dismantled by anyone & reassembled, that shows that real hands built them & thats why these are more desirable. Its about the human touch, the sound the feeling the sensation & the experience that's what makes italian things different from other.

another example....
    X7-1-Iperespresso_706863.jpg

Now this is just a coffee machine... imagine! just open this image if this was kept beside any other coffee machine you'd see the difference. :)
  9. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Yes @kk27 : you've hit the right phrase for Italian products. "Evocatively beautiful"

Just another example. Here is a French made Thiers-Issard razor.

j84.jpg

It is a beauty. perfectly made and all.

Now here's a basic simple design from Mastro Livi, the famed Italian razor maker

r285aa.jpg

Which one tugs at your heart to pick up and shave?

@prabhjot : I hope this answers your questions on @kk27 's and my understanding of the love for Italian products

Getting back to Fiat-bashing now.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    It's the Italian cities, imo, that epitomize what you're getting at. Not just the architecture of individual buildings, either. I believe it's almost in-the-air: this specific 'genius' for design and 'architecture' of made-obejects. Am, then, just beginning to readup on Italian history and public+material+commercial culture. Hope to exchange notes on the fascinating topic with you, since you've evidently been cultivating awareness and knowledge of this for a while already.

Anyway, back to the Long Indian Journey of Fiat, and its Travails/Joys. Including our own!

cheers