1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need any Palio 1.6

Discussion in 'TFI Classifieds' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I'm finally posting this after searching for a few months. After getting the Avventura, my better half and I are spoilt by the Fiat drive. My better half has evinced her interest in any small hatchback that has the handling of Fiat. She likes the Palio in particular and wants power. Yes, she is an excellent and experienced driver.

The Avvy is too big for city drives according to us. We have a Maruti Zen that is in perfect condition but would like to change it now after all these years. The following cars were shortlisted and rejected:

Alto: Would be a come down from the Zen. Rejected
    Swift: She does not like its looks.
    Figo: Too boxy. rejected
    Nissan Micra: very interested but after a test drive, very disappointed with handling and performance. Totally rejected
    Bolt: Taxi faced, so rejected

We checked out an S10 and were very very impressed with its size vs performance. We have decided to get any of the 1.6 litre Fiat cars, be it the Palio GTX, Stile Sport 1.6 or the S10. We do not follow cricket and so the S10's extra badging makes no difference to us. We just want a good 1.6 litre Fiat.

Finding one in Hyderabad has been very difficult. And the new ridiculous Telangana RTA rules make purchasing an out-of-state car very expensive as life tax has to be again paid even for such an old car. Besides, I simply lack the time to go to another city to check out a car.

Any help would be most welcome. Thank you for reading.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Your wife has great taste, @Vidhyashankar Kannan ! The best in fact. I wonder if she is more suggestible (by you!) than your post reveals.:playful::D

You guys sure about this: this might be a pain, unless your Hyderabad FASS-es have the wherewithal to support the car, fully I mean?

Although, come to think of it, if you get one cheap, it'll mean a very minor risk, very well worth taking!:cool:

all the best
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
  4. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Well said @prabhjot . And yes, you're right she is not that suggestible by me especially since she knows what she wants in a car. And no, I don't have much faith in Hyderabad FASS now to be able to support an older Fiat completely. I'm trying to take it as it comes. There is a very good FNG called New Mars Automotive who has restored another gentleman's GTX right from the body paint all the way to the mechanicals and electricals. So seeing the level of perfection achieved, we have the guts to try the Palio route now. Let's see how it goes.

Oh, the Fiat effect rubbed on to both of us during the test drive itself. We had already made up our minds to get the VW Polo but it was more brute power than what we wanted. The back to back TD of the Punto immediately after the Polo showed us how sublime Fiat's handling and steering was. So my better half is very clear on her requirements. Unfortunately there are no small cars from Fiat like the Palio anymore. I have checked all the links and continue to check for Palios and Stiles in Hyderabad. There are dime a dozen 1.2s available which we don't want as they will not be that powerful on a weight-to-power ratio vis a vis the Zen. And most GTXs seem to be available in only Mumbai and Pune along with fantastic FASS centres that show passion in restoring old Fiats. The only appreciable FASS centre in Hyderabad has been shut down by FCA for some unknown reason. So only the FNGs like you've said are the ones to trust.
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You may Try Palio Stile MJD .
    Advantages - 1.3 MJD engine ( no worries on engine side )
    last model was in 2010.
    99rpm support for Spares

Disadvantages - Body parts are hell costlier
    Not so inpsiring Braking
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Gentlemen,

It is with a huge smile that I write this post. I thank @macky for bearing with all our requests while checking out his S10. He has very kindly let it go to us, more importantly, to my better half.

@macky : My wife and I know how much you love your S10. One drive showed how much character it has. We promise to look after it in the best way possible. Thank you again for your extreme sincerity and forthright nature.

@prabhjot : Thank you for pointing out the sale to us. Like I said, we owe you a party. A big one.

My wife loves the drive and the control, not to mention that bucketload of torque at any rpm and any gear. We are thoroughly spoilt by the Fiat experience. So we welcome this new and old addition to the family.
  7. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Congratulations vidhyashankar. That's a very quick deal.

Wish you a happy ownership and thousands of blissful kms.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan

Good, fast going (puns intended)!

I used to have a Palio too....but i am terribly sad to report it was the Stile 1.1 petrol, nothing as ravishing to drive or look at/live with as a yellow s10. Lucky you-s.

cheers
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  9. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot and @ghodlur : We had a long discussion at the FASS centre Butta automotive today while they were checking the S10. They have assured me that all parts for Palios will be available. Small parts and consumables are available off the shelf while larger or more rarer parts will have to be ordered from the factory and would take 10 days to arrive. This is not an issue for us. However, our debate was on the future expenses on the S10. It turns out that most parts are much much more expensive for the S10. For example, a front shock absorber is 2300-2800 for the Punto but the same is 5800 on the S10!! Of course, these parts do not wear out easily either but we needed to be made aware of them.

We still decided to take the risk as it is a small risk for the sheer enjoyment of driving this beauty. We will be posting a detailed ownership review after driving this car for a few days. So, fingers crossed.

And @prabhjot : Lucky me? nope. Its lucky wife. The squarish wheelbase of the S10 gives it such good handling that I am already a bit jealous!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 21, 2015 ---
    Ok, I'll bite, just how many Fiats have you owned? and which models?
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Congrats Vidhyashankar kannan! for taking the plunge for your better half.
    Hope both of you enjoy everyday of your drive and have truck load of memories to share with your children and grandchildren as well......
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.