1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need advice : Planning a Shimla-Kullu Manali trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ghodlur, Nov 29, 2013.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Guys,

Dont know if this is the right thread to post this request. Mods if you feel this needs a seperate thread, pls let me know or move accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Need some info on the trip I am planning in 3rd week of March 2014 (Courtsey my son's school vacations) to Shimla-Kullu Manali. My wife has been averse to the tour operator option as this curtails the freedom and have to keep moving betwen places. So we thought we make our won itenary. I am not allowed to take the Punto (wife simply put her foot down in this case). So it will be public transportation. The outline of the trip would be:
    1) Fly or train travel to Delhi, Take a Volvo (HRTC???) to Shimla. Is there a direct flight to Shimla from Mumbai?
    2) Stayput in Shimla for 2 nights (min)
    3) Start mid afternoon to Manali, Stayput for 3 nights (min)
    4) Travel from Manali to Delhi (Time reqd????)
    5) Visit imp sites in Delhi, stayput for 2 nights
    6) Cover Agra
    7) Return back to Mumbai (Flight/train)

Let me know what should I modify/keep in mind/whether the plan seems doable/good budget hotels in Shimla, Manali, Delhi etc. TFIians who have recently travelled can share their experiences.
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Iam myself from shimla, and your plan is absolutely fine, no modification needed. You would easily get HRTC volvo from Delhi to shimla, 3-4 HRTC volvos run on this route. BUT, get your booking done in advance as most of the time buses are booked in advance. From shimla also, you'll get many buses to Manali. Also if you want, you can get flight from shimla to kullu (thou its once a week i guess).
    My advice come shimla first, just because after Delhi, Manali would get too cold. Thou Shimla also remains quite cold in march too but its still warmer than Manali. So come shimla, get a lil used to the sudden change in weather and den proceed Manali.

- - - Merged Post - - -

BTW, there is not much left to see in Shimla, so if you can, skip Shimla and rather spend those 2 days in Kullu, your one day in Kullu for a visit to Shiv mandir 'Bijli Mahadev' would be worth than in Shimla ;-) The view from that hill top temple is just awesome !!
    1 person likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Thanks Sunswape for the tips.

Thats news to me reg Shimla. I will try to work it out then for an additional night in Manali, will visit the suggested temple. As of now can you suggest any good hotel in Shimla preferably nearer to the Mall road. I have checked the HPTDC hotels and they see m expensive as compared to other options avialable online. Best thing is the rooms are available there (Holiday Home, Shimla)

Also since Delhi-Shimla journey takes around 8-10 hrs, I am also looking at arriving at Kalka from Mumbai (29 hrs journey) and add 1 hrs fro Kalka to Shimla via private cab. How does this sound?

If possible we can meet in Shimla then.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    There is a daily shatabdi exp from Delhi to kalkawhich takes around 4 hours. It runs early in the morning. From kalka a cab would take around 2 hours and 2000 rs for indica types.
  5. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

I gave you honest advice, Shimla is left as nothing more than a concrete jungle :-D Thou Iam not saying its totally worthless to visit shimla, if you have extra time, do visit. Rest these is really no need to search for good hotel in shimla, they are in abundance, you can definitely try Triple H i.e. Hotel Holiday Home, its close to main shimla, a 15min walk and thru lift you'r right at the center of the city, The Mall. If you want to get hotel right in the mall road itself then you can goto Hotel Combermere. Depending on the budget you have, there are loads of hotels here. Shimla is actually city of hotels :-D But do remember, during peak tourist time all get full somehow (March sees such peak sometimes, so be well informed in advance)
    And it easily takes minimum 2.5 hrs from Kalka to shimla by road, and taxi cabs have there own standard speed of 40kmph (to save fuel) so keep 3-3.5 hours to reach shimla. There is also toy-train service from kalka to shimla, but beware, it gets damn boring after sometime and it takes minimum 6 hours to reach shimla.
    Rest I would love to meet you. Do drop me a pm when you'll come.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yeah, as Shams said, Shatabdi from Delhi is best option to come till Kalka. Leaves at 7:45am from Delhi and reaches Kalka at around 12pm.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yeah, as Shams said, Shatabdi from Delhi is best option to come till Kalka. Leaves at 7:45am from Delhi and reaches Kalka at around 12pm.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013