1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

need advice on Goa trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by arian, Jul 2, 2010.

1. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    The route whcich goes from gadilganj is longer.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    The marker/ landmark to turn right from Nipani are 2 hotels - Kaveri & Satyavati on the highway. You can't miss these hotel as they are right on the highway & there is a circle from where you've to take right turn inside.

Cross-posting below the info regarding 2 routes from my travelogue :

3. Instead of taking Amboli route, you can take Anmod route from Belgaum. I recently travelled on that road and it was fine.You'll reach Ponda if you take this route and from there Panjim is about 15-20kms.Kolhapur to Belgaum is approx 100kms and its expressway. Belgaum to goa via Anmod will be around 120km and same via Amboli will be 150kms
  4. nik

nik

Thane
    Great suggestions. I was thinking of Anmod route earlier. Will leave it to wife and daughter to decide. It is first day of Navratri and if I go via Ponda, will be able to visit Shantadurga on the way in. But if they want to visit washed and polished, will take Nipani route. Am planning to leave 5:00 am, so Kolhapur should be big fat brunch at 11. Return would be from South Goa and would be definitely NH4a via Belgaum. Will post how the GP fared, have got her checked and put in a little engine oil, as she is due for service. Now stands at 13500 after almost 5 months and already free (revving) as a bird.

And yes, I almost forgot, my Motorla mobile Gps gave me Nipani as choice route, so I shall have the voice guiding me, though not on the ICE as mine is not an E pack.
  5. MULTIJET

MULTIJET Timido

Navi Mumbai
    Any road except NH17 will be better. I had been to Goa on 1st and came bac on 5th via NH17, the road was extremely in bad shape near Pen, Poladpur Ghat, Sangameshwar, Near Kankavali and End of sawantwadi(near goa border). As I was on my FZ16 it was not so tiresome but if ur travelling by car then a strict no to this road.
    Wish you a happy and safe journey.
  6. anrad73

anrad73 Amatore

Thane, India
    Hi ,

I have already travelled to Goa in my FORD IKON 1.3L Petrol, as my in-laws live there @ Madgaon.

The route that I took was via the Mumbai - Pune Expressway going upto Belgaum and then onwards to Goa via the road to Ponda (not via Amboli as it a very narrow road and not so good).

I stay @ Thane and the time it took to reach Belgaum was ~ 9 Hrs with 2 halts on the way, stayed overnight @ Hotel Ramdev and then left next day @ 9 am for Madgaon via Belgaum-Ponda route which is approx. 125 kms and it took me close to 3 hrs to cover this distance as the road is predominantly a forest area with a scattering of surface mines.

The route from Belgaum to Ponda is a single road. While most of the route is very good in terms of road surface quality, when you reach the mining areas, especially this place called Mollem, the roads are worse than village roads and and this 1~ 2 Km stretch is absolutely killing for both the car and the Occupants. We were literally crawling at a speed of not more than 10 kms/hr on this particular stretch and it took close to 45 mins ~ 1 hr to cover this stretch.

But otherwise, we pass thru' lush forests on the route which was visually very soothing and in the end ,was worth all the trouble !!

Think you should try this route.
  7. anrad73

anrad73 Amatore

Thane, India
    I correct my usage of the word/s "scattering of surface mines" in the underlined portion :uh . Probably gave you the impression of me having travelled to a war zone ::D Actually, I meant that there are a lot of Mines which are being exploited for minerals on this route.
  8. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    My drive to goa took me approx 8hrs and 30 mins. The road from amboli is not very narrow(2 vehicles can pass each other). Also found 95% of the stretch to be in good condition. But then you never know some of these roads do deteoriate fast
  9. @anrad when did you go to Goa ? I travelled twice 2 weeks back on Belgaum - Madgaon road the problem was on road after to climb anmod from goa for about 4-5kms stretch but no problem at mollem.. btw am from margao actually working in hyderabad.
  10. anrad73

anrad73 Amatore

Thane, India
    This was during December 2009.

I usually travel to Goa during Christmas every year. Goa is at its best during this time ::D and you will definitely agree with me !!