1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need advice on brake pads and disc

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sk.kashyap.92, Oct 13, 2015.

1. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hello All,

I own a Punto 90hp. I have clocked 1.32 lacs till date.

Current issue being faced....

From last few days there is too much of noise (chi..chi) while braking. Also at times i feel that the pedal is rough while braking and there is a noise as though the pads are totally worned out.

I had got the same checked with a local mechanic and he has confirmed that i will have to change both pads and disc. ( i have got the phasing done for disc once)

Now coming to my query...

In market there are brake pads available in different ranges.

1) Rs.700/- brand unknown.
    2)Rs.1400/- brand _ Italy
    3)Rs.1345/- brand _ Delfi available online
    4)Rs. 1800/- brand _ made by fiat forum member. Claimed to be equally good. ( current pads are the same. Has lasted 27k kms)

Brake pads in FASS is Rs. 3000/- & Disc is for Rs. 2400/- which is on a higher side.

Pls advice on following,

1) Is it wise to go for OEM brake pads and Disc? As they are very expensive compared to market. Total Cost Rs. 5500/- compared to Rs. 2600/- (1400+1200)

2) If yes can you pls advice on other brands and options available in market?

Eagerly waiting for replies.
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    My car has done 65,000 kms and brake pads were changed at 30K and 60K. FASS have done some thing on the discs in 60K (I assume it is 'phasing') and they suggested replacing the discs also at 90K (next service), which I probably will do.
    For me, braking is one of the strong points of the car and I would spend the additional 2900₹ for OEM components.
  3. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi kashyap,

well my regular practice with brake pads and rotors(discs) change is, I change the pads once 30K kms usually or when worn out, after 2 sets of brake pads change on the third set replacement, I usually change the rotors too.

As per changing to after market ones, I am very sceptical, unless I have seen them being used by a fellow user first hand, how they brake and age. I usually pay the devil its price, and go for OEM, as I dont want to take chances with braking of the car, other performance components from after market is still OK as they dont mess with car's stopping power, if at all they fail then I only have a stranded car, not a possible accident.

My advice stick to the OEM, change the rotors and pads at a go this time, then every third time you need a pad change change the rotors too.

If cost is a concern, buy them from 3rd party OEM vendors like www.99rpm.com and get them changed at a local/independent workshop which wont charge you a bomb in labour/taxes.

The Lathe machine Phasing of the discs/rotors is questionable in most cases so dont take that chance since you much miles of that magnitude.
  4. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Rider 16,

Thanks for your reply. As advised I will go for OEM. Will check market once.