1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need advice for upgrading E+ stock Speakers

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by VikramRajput, Jan 30, 2012.

1. absahu

absahu

Bangalore
    Ok the options he suggested was
    Option1:
    Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" Compos - 6k
    Rockford Fosgate Prime 5.25" Co-ax - 3k
    Cerwin Vega HED600.4 4 channel amp - 8.5k
    Rockford Fosgate Prime 12" Sub - 4.2k
    Wiring - 3k
    Blaupunkt Harness - 650
    Door Damping 4 doors - 1000 (He suggested Linea is well damped and it doesn't need Dynamat and all. He had also done this previously for some other Lineas).
    MDF Sub Box - 1.4k
    Labour - 550

Option 2:
    Cerwin Vega HED 6.5" Compos - 6.4k
    Cerwin Vega HED 5.25" Co-ax - 3.2k
    Cerwin Vega HED124 12" Sub - 4.5k
    Other Cost - same as above.

Option 3:
    ARC Audio KS 6.5" Compos - 8.5k
    Cerwin Vega HED 5.25" Co-ax - 3.2k
    Diamond Audio D1 12" Sub - 6k
    Other Cost - same as above

I have not heard abput cerwin vega brand. ANy reviews/opinons. He was repeatedly telling me that Linea stock HU is very bad and after retaining that the best we can get is 70% better than present with the above mentioned options.
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I have not heard Cerwin Wega but I would say you have many better brands available at those same price. So I would chuck out Option 2 and 3.

Option 1 looks interesting, with the following questions:
    1. What damping brand? And how much (sq.ft or number of sheets)?
    2. For 8.5k, you can get much better amps. Have you checked out Auditor?
    3. Stock HU is pathetic no doubt. If you choose to retain it, your only hope of improving the SQ is to install a DSP. Though I would strongly recommend replacing with an after market HU totally.
  3. Rizzou

Rizzou

Hyderabad
    Hi VikramRajput,

I am presently using Polk Audio in my Emo+ on stock HU

My present setup:

Components front: db6501
    Rear Speakers on MDF Plank Pioneer 480 W from my old Alto
    Woofer: Polk Audio dB1212
    Amplifiers: 1 JBL 300 Watt changed from JBL 450W & a Silicon 1000W

She plays like jus wow!

Suggestions for you (without subwoofer setup):

Components front: Polk Audio db6501
    Rear door speakers: Polk Audio db651S
    Amplifier: JBL GT5-A402

Will be simply awesome pure vocals with low bass should be good, let me know if you need more info.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm also planning on upgrading my stock speakers, I'm not a big fan of heavy bass but i do listen to metallica and need some amount of thumping.
    such be the case would there be a need for subs?
    Reason i'm asking is I had installed JBL speakers with a pioneer HU in my older maruthi van and I felt that the thump was there even at relatively high volumes.
    That car would shiver under the volume abuse but still very minimal distortions.

Vitamin M deficiency is preventing me from picking up subs (as I would also need an amp for it).
    In such a case can anyone suggest a good setup keeping my considerations in mind please.
    I can stretch my budget to 8k max
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do you need comps/co-ax's for both the front and rear or will just front comps do???
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I was thinking of comps for front and rear but never really heard the output to make an educated decision
    So you guys suggest.
    Theoretically I know comps are better but by how much is always
    Debated. .
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One option is you put average comps at the front at average co-ax's in the rear.
    Second option is you put better comps at the front and eliminate the rears and once you have the budget get a decent amp and sub to complete it.

A set of good comps alone will sound better than a set of average comps and co-ax's.

Waherguru Waheguru
  8. Gee, thanks for the valuable suggestion. Wondering how would the Polks sound without the AMP. am not wanting to open the whole car up for these things.. also, where would the AMP sit if installed?
  9. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Any speakers would sound just about decent without an amp. But for components to be displaying their full capability, an amp is highly recommended. Also, it is not advisable in the ling run to run all 4 speakers off the tinny HU amp.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'opening up the whole car'. If you have to install speakers, the door pads have to be opened anyway. Plus the sides to run the wires. An amp install would not take any additional effort because there is just one way to run the wires.

An amp can be placed either under the front passenger seat or in the boot (mounted on an MDF board secured on the back of the rear seat).