1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need advice for upgrading E+ stock Speakers

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by VikramRajput, Jan 30, 2012.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    With all due respect Ganges, the stock OEM HU is crappy. And that's an understatement.

Music is all about clarity. Which means you should be able to clearly hear individual instruments, irrespective of the volume. Infact, the acid test is that at low volume, it should be crystal clear. Distortion at higher volumes is more a sign of weak amp and/or poor speakers.

Coming to the case on hand - Linea OEM speakers are paper cone. Even if the HU is remotely decent, the speakers spoil the fun. That's why the first recommended upgrade is usually a change of speakers. Also, what you're facing is typical and expected of OEM speakers. IN due course of time, unless played at low volumes, they are bound to cave in.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nish,
    Recommended upgrade of the speakers & as time elapses the quality of sound from speakers gets degraded and this is due to speakers(and not the HU)..i agreee.... and very soon i will also go for upgrade..

i would like to put in this way...

if i'm saying VOL 15 with the present HU,i can say AR REHMAN uses the actual tabla player than the tabla played from keyboard and the individual instruments used in the composition is clearly heard.

The clarity of the sound yeah... low frequencies(treble) can be heard clearly as compared to high frequencies.... and trust me... individual instrumental sounds are mostly played at low frequencies... and till now i was very much comfortable with the front speakers except for the problem recently created...

For high frequencies with VOL 15 ...thats OK ! ... above this u will get distortion and this is due to speakers(and not HU)....

Till this time of investigation one can decide "what kind of speakers we are expecting to suit our factory fitted HU and what is lacking" that was the reason i asked vikram when did you purchased the punto! and it doesnt makes sense to change speakers within 1 or 2 month of the purchase without indepth exploring of the HU specifications.
  3. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I dont know how many stock/OEM setups you've heard. But as far as my experience goes, ALL are crappy. Degree varies, but at the end of the day, none can replace a aftermarket combo (except Mitsubishi Outlander which has a factory fitted Rockford Fosgate setup!).

Heck, even BEFORE buying the TJet, I knew it's setup is pathetic. And that's exactly why I removed the ICE from my Getz before parting ways. So the question of giving the new OEM time and then making a decision just doesnt arise. Esp in Vikram's case, as he's into EDM which does require great equipment to bring out the best sound output
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nish,
    is it possible to bring out the EDM quality in 4 speakers(without amp or woofer).. ?
  5. Ganges,

I bought my car in Feb 2010. Its manufactured in September 2009 and was offered a good discount for buying the car from the previous lot. It was properly PDI-ed and verified and it works absolutely fine with no complaints whatsoever. Its 3rd and final free service is due in 2 weeks time. However, i havent been in the country for this time and so far it has clocked just about 4000+ kms. My dad doesnt drive much, just a short weekly spin and thats it. Most of the 4000+ kms have been driven by me whenever i was in India.

Now i am coming back to India for good and the car will see regular weekend use. and by regular, i mean greater than what my dad has driven it but not the 100s of kms people boast about here. Maybe a long trip once a month to Pune, Shirdi or wherever..

i have realised the poor sound quality of speaker system from day one and complained to Fiat by email too 2 years ago but their reply was diplomatically vague and pointless. But since it wasnt being driven much, i didnt mind. Now that i will be using it in the near future, it has become paramount to change it and asap.

My major grudge is that Trance music plays differently on these speakers and it spoils the pleasure of listening altogether.

Since you seem to listen to music with vocals and the like, you may find them acceptable. However, for EDM they are a major turn-off..

Hope this helps.. :)

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Ohh, and like Nishant said, for any modifications, the speakers are and should be the first to go. I am doing the same.. will audition and try a good speaker setup. If its not up to my liking still then invest further in an AMP and then maybe a SUB, if need be. But as of now, i am concentrating on just the speakers.

Besides, my requirements are very modest. I usually listen to music between volume levels of 8-12 and very rarely above that since driving a fiat is a greater pleasure than listening to music along with it. I drive to enjoy the drive with music being there as a complementary accessory to it.. I hate the prospect of being a mobile discotheque and hence never raise the volumes to show off to others.

Punto being a Fiat and a Punto is the statement for me! :)

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

With all due respect, Ganges.. Low frequency is the bass and high frequency is the treble.. No offence intended, just trying to correct a misconception.

What a woofer produces is low frequency sound in the range of 50 to 250 Hz (cycles or vibrations per second) while what the tweeter produces is high frequency in the Kilohertz ranges (thousands of cycles/vibrations per second).

:)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Vikram,
    first of all in advance welcome to india after a long time(can understand the meaning of spicy food if in europe :D)... and i know you are eager to feel the punto steering...:D
    Caught the right string,EDM not always...
    the meaning of Punto FAN ends with you !;)
    Ooops..... exactly thanks for the correction....vikram..

i will be looking forward to your upgrade... myselves will be in queue for the speakers upgrade..
  7. Thank you, Ganges!

I will keep the forum posted of all my feedback when scouting and auditioning the Speakers and also the upgrade. Would appreciate feedback from you if you happen to audition any of the speakers and/or find any other good ones to consider.
    1 person likes this.
  8. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    Hey Vikram,

Sorry I had not gone through your thread earlier.

Now that I have I would definitely recommend my speakers ( Focal integration series) to you

Reasons
    1. You are not going to go in for an amp or sub even in the future ( as you have mentioned earlier).
    So it doesnt make sense putting in high end components etc. as they do require an amp.
    Yes you can power compos from the HU itself as Johnny has often mentioned. I have JBL components in my Santro powered by a Pioneer HU.
    They do sound fantastic and hence I knew I had to change the OEM speakers in My Tjet at the time I took the Test Drive itself.
    But the Pioneer HU has a lot of features like a 5 channel EQ as well as HPF level adjustments which helps me to get a good sound from my JBL compos. Our Fiat HU doesn't.

2. You travel with your family most of the time so trust me when I say this they will NEVER let you blast the music with an amp and sub set up.So unless you travel alone forget abut it.

3. I don't know what exactly qualifies as EDM but I listen to Chemical Brothers, Safri Duo, Moby, Fatboy Slim and it sounds amazing .

P.S. Of course an amp and sub can never be matched for bass reproduction but in the drivers seat with my set up you dont miss them much. And yes Ovals at the Rear will sound better but eventually the tray will rattle so if that can be fixed COMPLETELY in some way thats a good option.

IS 165 ( Focal Integration compos) in front is a good option but that would fine tune the high frequencies not really increase the bass too much. And the tweeters are big so the cannot be mounted in place of the OEM tweeters...either on the dash or elsewhere.

btw you are welcome to audition my set up anytime.
  9. You read my mind on all points! :)

EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music and it includes the names you have mentioned although Trance and Progressive form the bulk of EDM..
    I am not inclined towards the comps for the same reason as you - tweeter placement issue. i will consider it if and only if the all four co-ax option is not workable for some reason. till such time, your setup is my first choice..

I will call you and see you sometime last week of feb or first week of march. :)

Thank you for your feedback and the chance to audition your system. really appreciate it.
  10. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Vikram, I hope you know that tweeters can be placed in multiple ways. As simple as sticking them with a double sided tape ANYWHERE on the dash, to a little more complex as drilling it in the A-pillar or installing them in the stock location (although this is the worst option in terms of sound quality).

I think tweeter placement should be the least of your concerns. I find that reason very unbelievable.