1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Need advice for buying Punto Evo 90 HP or Avventura ...

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Dinesh Kumar, Jun 24, 2015.

?

Punto Evo 90 HP or Avventura

1. Punto Evo 90 HP

21.1%
  2. Avventura

78.9%
  1. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Friends,

I'm almost in the process of buying a Punto 90HP ( 2015 ) on a good deal but I'm equally tempted to consider an Orange Avventura ( 2014 ) on a deal which is approx ~50K compared to Punto Evo.

I like Punto Evo over Avventura for
    • Little easy on pocket as I'm tight on budget
    • Its squashing premium hatchback looks.
    • Not very eye candy compared to Orange Avvy. If suppose my parents are to use it in my hometown.
    • Resale value. I fear it shouldn't happen but just because of my job which keeps me travelling.
    • Sporty black interiors.
    • Ground clearance is not really an issue since Punto itself has higher GC.
    • Avvy might become history if Fiat replaces it in two years as per their plan.
    • And more importantly my home minister somehow is not convinced by the macho looks of Avvy :banghead:
    But I'd like to consider Avvy over Punto if it offers
    • Better under-thigh support and overall seat comfort for everyone. My legs are tall and gets tired easily over long drives.
    • Even more better highway manners including body roll control since its got independent suspension for rear as well.
    • Decent resale value loss since its 2014 make.
    Friends, please help me decide as which one to go for if I could manage my budget. I test drove the 90HP and felt response enough in Bangalore traffic too.

Thanks in advance !!!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 24, 2015 ---
    Sorry for the rear independent suspension fact goof up. I meant the stabilizer bar at the rear as well.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  2. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Dinesh Kumar : Going through the post you are more inclined towards Punto :) Both are good cars.
    I personally prefer Punto over Avvy:
    1. Avvy's boot door is bit impractical to use.
    2. Interior is mix of different color ( dashboard/ seats) where as all black in Punto looks sporty.
    3. GC of 185 in Punto is more than enough for Indian roads unless you do an off road adventure.
    4. Be it avvy or Punto you wont get tired over long drive.

But avvy has it's own merits:
    1. High GC of 205mm equal to Duster gives you commanding view of the road.
    2. Gorgeous rear is surely an eye catcher.
    3. The roof rails on avvy are functional. its not a dummy show like in ETIOS cross, Polo cross.
    4. Slightly better tuned gear ratio in Avvy is better to drive in City.

Whatever you decide rest assured that both are amazing cars. BTW which color you prefer in Punto?
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  3. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks @Deepak. Yes, I'm inclined towards Punto but at the same time would like to equally consider Avvy if it suits my requirement. It would be a red Punto evo. :)
    Deepak likes this.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Do go through the ownership threads of Avvy/Punto in forum. It has loads of information you are looking for.
    Let us know what you decide :)
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I would suggest you to go ahead with Avventura Emotion. I am sure you will not regret your decision.

As all mentioned pros and cons of Punto 90HP & Avvy I dont want comment on it.

AFAIK there are some 2014 manufactured Avventura (only RED color) available with FIAT India and they are offering discount of around Rs. 80k.
  6. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Avvy or Punto you can't go wrong with either. Let us know what you decide

If i were you i will choose avvy over punto evo, Light Clutch, Better Response in low end, Road Presence, Functional Roof Rail, can do a bit of off-road, Better Gear, Better Music System etc.
    prabhjot and Dinesh Kumar like this.
  7. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Dinesh Kumar . I voted for 90 HP and own a 13 month young GP 90 HP model. I have test driven Avvy multiple times as well during my visit to dealerships during service. I have spent considerable time checking the interiors as well.

If you want a no nosense practical all rounded car 90 HP takes the cake. The premium you pay for Avvy is just for looks and the beefed up suspension, tyres and slightly better tuned 90 HP engine. Its a little more drivable within the city but at the cost of mid range punch that Evo 90 HP provides. Evo 90 HP has a better top end due to lesser weight, slightly thinner tyres and the tune of the engine. Unless and until you plan on a soft roading/off roading Evo 90 HP is a more practical car in all respects.

Even then Evo 90 HP should be able to handle 95% of the roads that Avvy can handle. And trust me I have done multiple road trips along with family of more than 20K kms covering brilliant highways, two laned roads, bad roads, worst raods, ghat roads and no roads at all and my GP 90 HP never had any problems tacking any sort of terrain.

Besides the cost of ownership will be considerably more for Avvy. Alloys 16" is more costly than 15" in case yopu want to change it few years down the lane. 205 tyres are considerably pricier than 195 tyres sometimes to the tune of close to 20 K for 5 tyres. Most componets like suspension etc. have been beefed up for Avvy and hence you got to pay more when you have to replace them later on. The rear tyre set up is prone to creeks and noises as mentioned by ownership threads on various forums. Besides will be a pain in offices, malls, cinema halls etc where one has to open the boot.

Evo 90 HP does 95% of the stuff Avvy does and in some areas better like high speed driving, handling etc and is close to lac cheaper as well. And the suspension set up is same for all Fiat cars available in India. Add to lesser maintainence costs in the longer run.

Why not wait for the Avvy TJET or Abrth Evo TJET. Those will be better cars than the current lot in every respect. If you are OK with petrol cars though.

Choice is yours mate. May you choose the best car.
    naresh, bharath, Turbothinghy and 3 others like this.
  8. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks for all your inputs. Abarth TJet is tempting but can't afford unpredictable Petrol prices. My hometown is 370kms away and only diesel would be economical.

Just now accidentally happen to test drive an Avvy in one of the worst possible roads and is blown away by the way it handled them. Also because of my seating position, it makes me feel like sitting on a SUV. But other than that, I felt the seats though may be wider but are not lengthier. When I sat at the back, my knees are very much inside the driver seat (adjusted for my seating ) which is the same as the case in Punto. Frankly Fiat engineers should learn from Asian counterparts when it comes to space management.

During the test drive, the SA mentioned that Punto 90Hp has got 190mm GC in reality though it isn't mentioned in the specs.
    Could anybody please provide some light on it? Could it be due to the 16" tyres ?
  9. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hi @Dinesh Kumar

I had a similar confusion three months ago, when I was considering a car between P-90 and Avventura (Emotion). Here's the thread:

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/avventura-emotion-vs-punto-evo-90hp.14094/

I went with Avventura at the end because of two main reasons:

1) In a TD comparison, I found the Avventura engine to be much better tuned for the lower-end compared to P-90. Depending on your driving style, this may not matter much to you if you like to maintain revs or can keep the P-90 engine in the turbo-zone (though it will be harder to do that in city traffic, I guess). And as mentioned earlier, the better lower-end in Avventura comes at the cost of mid-range punch. In my car, I find the power-delivery to be mostly linear. I don't feel the turbo-lag as much before the turbo spools up, but then it doesn't give me the sudden 'turbo-kick' after the turbo-spool either. The engine produces power throughout the rev-range in a gentle & well-behaved manner. I like it this way but your preferences may differ.

2) As you experienced yourself, I found the suspension of Avventura to be better than Punto. In this TD, I got to compare it against Punto 1.2 FIRE, not 90HP (I assume they must be same). I found Avventura tackles bad road better. Again, how much that matters to you depends upon where and how you drive. I drive my car in Bangalore and even with 5 people (and some luggage) up, it has never touched any of the infamous speed-breakers/potholes here.

The looks are subjective and I like both Punto and Avventura. The spare wheel and body-kit of Avventura is definitely eye-catchy, but it has its share of issues as well. Some malls allow let me go through without checking the boot when I tell them that they'll have to open the wheel before accessing the boot. The more adamant ones (UB City, for instance) insist me to open the boot anyway. I then have to get out to open it for them, because they can't figure it out by themselves. But it's not as big a hassle as it sounds. The whole thing of getting out of car to getting back in takes around 30-40 seconds. In my opinion, it's not a deal-breaker. The whole spare-wheel-opening-is-cumbersome complaints in review-sites is simply overblown, because after you've done it a few times, opening & closing the boot doesn't take more than 8-10 seconds. But that said, it's certainly not as easy as opening the boot of a Punto! :p
  10. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Tanay . Bang on you nailed it. Except for the suspension set up. The suspension set up is same for all Fiats. Going by the specs sheet off course. Then based on GC the suspension may be more taut in the Avvy for sure due to increased height. Its got a anti roll bar as well to counter rolling around corners for the handling that Fiats are famous for. They have got it pretty much right. Now the difference that one feels is mainly because of increase in tyre width and beefier suspension. The 1.2 may not as beefier as the 90 HP as the same needs to be set up to take the additional diesel engine weight. Same for comaprision between 90 HP and Avvy due to additional weight and height increase. Secondly non emotion versions have skinny tyres as well which adds to feeling as well.
    Dinesh Kumar and Tanay like this.