1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mysore - Alleppey - Trivandrum - Kanyakumari - Madurai - Bangalore

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vvk007, Jan 11, 2015.

1. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Hi,
    I am planning to cover most of the places in Southern India starting from my hometown Shimoga.

Day 1: Shimoga - Mysore - Gurvayoor - Kochi. || OR || Shimoga - Mangalore - Gurvayoor - Kochi.

Stay in Kochi.

Please suggest which route is better out of the two? Any other route with better roads is also acceptable.

Day 2: Kochi - Alleppey.

Boat stay in Alleppey till Day 3 Morning.

Please suggest a good firm to book boat stay for a family of four. (2 rooms)

Day 3: Alleppey - Trivandrum - Kanyakumari

Temple visit in Trivandrum. Leaving to Kanyakumari in the evening and stay there.

Day 4: Kanyakumari - Madurai

Please suggest some must to-dos in Kanyakumari as I have time only till evening. Leaving to Madurai in the evening and stay in Madurai.

Day 5- Madurai - Bangalore

Visit to Meenakshi Temple and leaving back to Bangalore.

What all places can be covered in this belt? How are the road conditions through out? Any other Must-see places in this region?
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If you do not have Guruvayur in your itinerary, you can directly reach Cochin through Thrissur. Among the 2 routes, I would chose Mysore-Gundlupet-Mudumalai-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur-Cochin. Just because the route is through the awesome Bandipur and Mudumalai forests.

If you have enough time at Trivandrum, you can do Ponmudi as well. It is around 50 kms from Trivandrum. Nothing much to see there but will be scenic.

Between Trivandrum and Kanyakumari, you have Padmanabapuram Palace and Suseendhiram Temple.

You must plan to see Sunrise/Sunset at Kanyakumari. And then you have Bagavathi Amman Temple at the shore. And you can take boat ride to Vivekananda rock and Thiruvalluvar Statues.

Meenakshi Amman temple is good. If you have time and an additional day, try to do Madurai-Pillayarpatti-Thanjavur. Big temple at Thanjavur is a must see. It is one of the Heritage sites declared by the UNESCO.

You will have almost good roads through out. Only that the roads in Kerala will be crowded. And from Kanyakumari to Bangalore, it all 4 lane.
    vvk007 likes this.
  3. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Thanks a lot ramjn.

Any idea about the Boat stay in Alleppey ?

While surfing, I came across the Vedanta Wake Up stay. Any thoughts on this ?
    http://vedantawakeup.com/
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Does Vedanta have houseboats?

Check out Cosy houseboats, Kerala houseboats, Coco houseboats.

Recently, @VahanPujari visited Alleppey. Let us also hear from him. :)
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    ^^
    Actually I decided against staying in a houseboat and just did a 2 hour cruise.

You'll love the route ramjn suggested i.e. Bandipur & Madumalai forests.
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hello there,
    Resurrecting this thread - for my query!
    I read few previous posts here, but these apply to persons travlling by own vehicle.

I need advice for my short tour to down-south from November 4 to 10, as per the itinerary given below:

Day 1: Nov. 4 - Landing with my wife at Thiruvanathpuram late evening
    Day 2: Nov. 5 - At Thiruvananthouram - sight-seeing
    Day 3: Nov. 6 - Leave by train in the morning & reach Kanyakumari after noon followed by sight-seeing
    Day 4: Nov. 7 - At Kanyakumari - sight-seeing & leave for Rameshwaram by night train
    Day 5: Nov. 8 - At Rameshwaram - reach early morning - Full day for sight-seeing
    Day 6: Nov. 9 - Leave by train in evening & reach Madurai late evening
    Day 7: Nov.10- At Madurai - Sight-seeing at Madurai & leave by train to Vellore (Katpadi) to reach there next morning
    Day 8-10: - Stay at Vellore for couple of days & then return to Indore via Chennai.

I am looking for advice particularly for Thiruvananthpuram for sight-seeing and stay for two nights somewhere close to railway station and Padmanabh Swami temple. I want to visit this temple and Kovalam beach, but what else can I cover and what would be the optimum sequence? I also welcome tips for my visit to other places - though there may not be much to optimize, those being out-n-out tourist locations.

Advise me please!
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    I thought that locals can provide best advice, faster and more realistic, than what I may be able to gather by digging here and around, hence the above request.
  7. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Here are some options:
    Railway station and Sreepadmanabha temple are close by (about a km or so) and you may choose any stay and they wont be too far.
    1. First thing to finish would be the temple (please check the timings), you would have to adhere to temple's dress code.
    2. Next to the temple is Kuthiramaalika, a palace for the royals. On the wall of it (opposite the big pond), there is a clock (Methan mani) that strikes the bell in a special way at each hour.
    3. Then there is Sri Chitra art gallery (houses Raja Ravi Varma pictures in a separate section) and Napier museum (antiques on display).
    4. You may head out to Poovar island for a boat cruise through the mangroves OR if you like the ghats, you may go to Ponmudi hill station (need to return by 4 or 5 pm).
    5. There are more temples nearby, which are very famous. Ex, Attukal temple and Pazhavangadi Ganapathi temple.

Enjoy your stay at Trivandrum.