1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My white wonder struggled to climb the road which leads to Hotel Lakeview Ooty

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vvk007, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    i wanted to start a thread for this problem and now its there.. tnx vvk007 buddy, now coming to the point ... Punto moves ahead up the hill with one stretch also in third gear when you do a one swing but it fails badly when moving up slowly in traffic at steep heights and never listens to me after several attempts and skids at one point i have to pull it up .. it was very bad once all vehicles behind me passed through watching me struggling to push up honking at me.. my question here is any vehicle ideally should pull at 1st gear at any inclination..Is FIAT Ghat eligible or only meant for the straight roads..

Note: Myn is a 2012 model, with all the checks done on the ECU, also the pickup was reported during the first service they told there's nothing wrong with that..pls help specially guys from ghat area

Regds..Surya
    1 person likes this.
  2. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Even i got stuck with my punto on a steep incline in Ooty, it send jitters down my spine as it was quite steep. As usual people started honking and making a ruckus. I just dint give flying fish to those who were honking, took my sweet time by taking a deep breath,switching off the a/c-heater and got the vehicle moving.

Whenever i negotiate steep inclines, i make sure i keep a fair distance between me and the vehicle in front of me and just lug along in 1st gear.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, about a month back even I did a Ooty trip from Bangalore in my Punto. My car was @4500kms on the odo then. To my luck, I did not face any such major hurdles while climbing up the steeps. Yes, its very important to keep the momentum going for a hastle free ghats drive. Believe me, if this is taken care even petrol cars cant catch up with Puntos and Lineas. I stayed at Kluney Manor (near Club Mahindra). Entry to this resort also had a steep narrow path way. Have to say Punto handled it pretty well or was I lucky enough ::O
    1 person likes this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    To that i have to say it was good for me too at ooty drive but i never stopped in between the curves or uphill drives my luck no traffic in front only the other side .. can't imagine to stop and start its very scary .. :-(
    1 person likes this.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore

I got stuck on the same path that leads to Kluney Manor. To be precise a i was stuck in a jam on that way!! :eek:
    1 person likes this.
  6. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    Surya, yes I would expect the same, at any drivable motorway the car should pull up in first gear except for exceptions like slippery road or very very steep inclination, or the air is really thin. When you were facing issues did you try raising the engine to the peak torque level with clutch pressed and then slowly releasing the clutch & handbrake?
    1 person likes this.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Hotel Lakeview isn't as steep as what we encountered in Kodai, I would say it requires a bit more of practiceHa to drive in ghats and once mastered you shouldn't be facing any issues.

I don't think there is anything to worry about your car!
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    During the early stages of my punto ownership i faced small ghat section of 4 Kms... where i struggled a lot in steep i was not knowing which gear is the perfect one in the ghats...
    Then later this year in Jan 2011 i have done more than 500 Kms of Ghat driving especially loved to drive in Konkan Ghats of Maharashtra(Gangan Bavda,Ganapathi pule,Malvan... all with twists hair pin bends and inclination as well),this trip inspired me to go to Srisailam via Kurnool - Dornala it was fun drive,done the ghat driving in rain in the night.Yesterday been to sinhagad Pune very bad roads with ditch,potholes that too on hair pin bends and one have to slow and if its punto definitely u have to slow,First gear rocks ! in such hair pin bends.

All matter is the experience and amount of drive you do on such roads,i dont feel anything is wrong with our cars.

P.S:- Use hand brake efficiently.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    yes.. i would say raising with a half clutch is dangerous idea with family on board and vehicles behind would raise the temper than helping out.. i always make sure to put on the handbrake, switch on the hazard lights and ask them to move on .. wait for few seconds start the engine raise the rpm to 2.5 - 3.0 and slowly release the handbrake and accelerate.. you have to keep pace else sometimes it fails to pull and starts skidding with few attempts it climbs up ...
    1 person likes this.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I never faced much problem in climbing steep slopes even with full load of course with AC being switched off .i always switch off the AC when going uphill
    1 person likes this.