1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My white wonder struggled to climb the road which leads to Hotel Lakeview Ooty

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vvk007, Nov 4, 2012.

1. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    happened with me too brother!!
    i was travelling to matheran with 5 people in the car and i had to take an incline :hit
    1 person likes this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Just write about this issue to Fiat and let us hear what they say. Also this will be a feedback and if they address this issue for next model it will be good for all.
    1 person likes this.
  3. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    I too faced the same problem with my TJet in Mussorie. The torque required to start up from still on an incline is too much for these cars. Only when the turbo kicks in does the car starts to move.
    1 person likes this.
  4. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    When we use the traditional handbrake mechanism we can raise the rpm to a level where the torque peaks, at this stage if we synchronize the clutch and handbrake release the engine should have enough power to pull the car up. However I do not know if the ECU is hindering it, as mentioned in one instance where a ECU change has addressed the issue.

If we can get analysis from the Fiat it would help all, I am yet to own a Fiat and this info will certainly help me.

Thanks
    1 person likes this.
  5. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Guys take a deep breath! :) Their is nothing wrong with you cars. At steep incline no car can do wonder without momentum! Struggling is not abnormal atal.

As said by members earlier, one have to be in momentun on steep incline. Taking a halt in Mid way is panic mode! More-over to that, our cars are bit theavy & power to weight ratio matters at such situations a lot! Initial torque won't help you to get though it. Also weight distribution changes at such spots making it more diffcult.
    Also if your ac is on it gives additional burden to engine but if anyone noticed when rediator fan starts at steep incline it almost makes it impossible to move car from stand-still to motion.

To deal with it make sure your AC is off.
    Let your car roll back few meters to get momentum.
    Also if you hear rediator fan spining at its max to cool down the engine then wait for it a bit & then make a move.
    2 people like this.
  6. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    I think its how you keep momentum..

I have driven my friends Swift ,i20 and also in a tavera on the same raod..

At the very last hari pin bends..i20 almost stopped...the problem was with my driving..where you need to be in right momentum with right gear..

Drive any other car in same category & u feel feel simailarity :)

In Punto..again..if u have enough momemntum...it just scoots away...

Bootom line is its the driving style...we need to get adjusted thats it
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I think Tron and Puntosat made it more clear. I totally agree with their views.
  8. Me too agree with their views. I had a problem worse than this during the SIM with my SS. This was before entering the gate of Lakeview. I climbed the incline on second gear and when I was almost at the gate the SS couldn't take it anymore and I had to downshift to first and know what it refused to move forward on first gear!

To make problems worse, I did not have the handbrake and I had to go behind for quite a distance and then climbed up on first gear!

No matter if it is Diesel/Petrol, if you slowdown in the middle of an incline or rather a very steep incline, your car would suffer for sure.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    3 people like this.
  9. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    With all due respect I would like to differ here: When you stop in an incline rolling back shouldn't be an option as we may not be lucky always to not have car on our tails. As said the power to weight ratio is very important factor, but I think the car manufacturers should have taken this into account when they decide on which engine/gear ratio to mate with the car.

So in my view on a motorable steep inclined road our cars should able to pull up without rolling back atleast with no-ac, no co-passengers and no-excess luggage excluding the cases where the roads are slippery.

Thanks.
    1 person likes this.
  10. ratish

ratish Timido

Its common in high range areas considering the inclination and the moisture laden climate which reduces oxygen intake. Even my swift diesel struggled to climb in a similar situation in first gear and clutch plates started giving up with burning smell. At last i had to unload the passengers and try it again. Have even observed that the engine note is course in such regions and easily loses power if momentum is not maintained.
    1 person likes this.