1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My white wonder struggled to climb the road which leads to Hotel Lakeview Ooty

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vvk007, Nov 4, 2012.

1. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    I spent the last weekend in OOTY with my family. A big thanks to ramjn, teky, sungoa2010 for advising me on the places to visit and accommodation.

I stayed in The Lakeview hotel with my family, the same place where the mega Event was conducted.
    To begin with,
    I took the Masinagudi route, one of the very adventurous ghats which leads to Ooty. Most of the times I was climbing only in 1st gear and I found it quite impossible to climb in second gear. I couldn't even think of third gear. The Innovas beside me were roaring on the road. They were going easily without any struggle.
    This is the first time, when I felt that My White Wonder is a bit frugal when it comes to power delivery.

And then came the awkward movement, when My White Wonder couldn't even go an inch further on the steep road which leads to the reception of Hotel Lakeview. Actually the thing is, I stopped my car on the way half-past the steep road to see the direction board.
    I also turned off the Heater, but no results. :cry:
    Then, I slowly moved backwards to find the beginning of the steep road. Still moved 20 metres backwards to get the necessary pick-up. Slotted on to first gear and came as fast as possible in first gear, crossed 4k rpm and stopped only when i reached reception area.

It was my good luck :cool: that there were no vehicles behind me that time, else the case would have been different.

What could be the reason for it? :confused: I did not expect this after such a spirited driving all through the ghat. I would not have bothered if it was the first few kms of the day considering the very cold atmosphere in Ooty and warming of engine is very much required.
    1 person likes this.
  2. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Does the problem still exist? Whts the total ODO reading? are you experianceing for the first time? My friends petrol 1.2 had a simillar issue. The issue got resolved by replacing the ECU. Better check with your nearest service center.
    1 person likes this.
  3. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    To be very honest, I wasn't very happy the way my car climbed up the Ooty ghat either during TFI South India meet. As long as you maintain the momentum there is no problem but if you stop it takes ages to build speed. I explain it away as turbo lag not sure how much sense it makes.
    1 person likes this.
  4. What is the model of your car? if the are pre 2011 models it used to be little heavy car to drive than later models but can't understand why you had such difficulty.
    Did you clean the air filter before you set of to the trip? a clogged air filter coupled with high altitude can make a Diesel engine to loose steam.

Did you observe any black smoke from the tail pipe during the period?
    1 person likes this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    2 people like this.
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

That might be the reason,there are many open threads,pointing to a temporary power loss in Linea's after spirited driving.
    Even i have same issue in my car,and it gets fixed,after re starting the car.
    I havent found a satisfactory answer for this problem till date
    1 person likes this.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is not any issue with the car. Stopping midway in the steep ghat is suicidal. Any car would struggle for that matter. Do remember that current Fiats are the best in ghats than other similar cars (i20, Swift, SX4, etc.,).
  9. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    I faced similar problem in my BIL's car (75 hp). Once coming out of basement parking in Big Mega Mart near DG Petrol bunk, it is a 90 degree left turn after which a steep incline, which is not possible with single cut. So we have to start it again from that point. Car was not moving at all, somehow with lot of struggle I took it out. Since i drive 1.4, I thought its something to do with my style of driving (I was not able to bring it to 2k rpm mark, i wont rev my car too much).
    Just 30 mins before that at that curve one lady rammed her brand new i10 auto while taking the turn, on the front left side, door got badly damaged . I took her car out from that inclination with little struggle (yes it was 1st time i was driving with auto gear).

- - - Merged Post - - -

Do you mean any diesel car?
    1 person likes this.
  10. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    No. Actually, In real life conditions I do not experience such very steep roads. So it's not possible for me to check my car considering the same situation.
    Replacing the ECU is the solution ? My God !! I have to check it out then.

Actually, As soon as I finished my Ooty trip, I gave my Linea for 2nd Service. So I suppose the capability to handle such terrain would have increased now.
    And Moreover I wanted to know, whether it is normal for any car or am I the only one who is facing such problem?

Bingo !! After reading the post, my mind is a bit cleared now !! So I suppose, it's not only my Linea in troublesome situation.

wow man :) !! Great you took it out !!