1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My travel: car vs train

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by sungoa2010, Jun 14, 2012.

?

Vote for your mode of travel for long trips: train/bus vs car

1. I travel mostly by car

43 vote(s)
    81.1%
  2. I use car and train/bus almost equally

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. I travel mostly by train/bus

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    This pole is created to get an idea about how many of us use car for their long travel than train/bus. I have excluded flight since there is no comparison since the prices are not fixed and low connectivity between cities. So the poll is between train and car. The car need not be fiat, but any car that belongs to you. let us find how many of us are crazy/comfortable with four wheeler commutation. You should consider the distance covered for your home -office commutation in this. train and bus is grouped together
    Please share if you have some thing to tell more after voting.
    Let us start.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    When you have a fiat then why would you wanna travel by plane. Its an enthusiasts group and we are all hear to enjoy the drive. Its buckle up and fly on a MJD or Tjet.
    1 person likes this.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    That is true Nimish.
    Quick impression : 85% of people sit behind their steering for long trip:)
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    The poll should have said..
    "I travel ONLY by car" :)
  5. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is my first car and travel by train/ bus have gone down by more than 80% after this... since i got my bike when i got into college, i ve never got into a city bus till date . Used to take the bike for going virtually anywhere alone . now family also prefers taking the car for going anywhere in a radius of 500kms !! it comes out to be cheaper than any train / bus and faar more convenient for going to any place en route!!
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I think in diesel car with three adult will come close to train 3rd AC fare. Apart from that no need to worry about reservation.
  7. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    I have skipped so many places earlier because of unwillingness to travel in a crowded bus or train. Also, I cannot think of taking my kids in public transport (unless reservations are made). Reservation itself is a big headache. But, after buying my car, I am visiting those places which I never thought of going. I think if there are 3 or more people travelling together, a car make sense.

Advantages :
    1. No reservation headache
    2. You can start the journey at your comfortable time
    3. You can start your journey from your doorstep
    4. No need to worry about luggage
    5. You can go to unplanned destinations or you can visit enroute places
    6. It will make financial sense if you are visiting multiple places at one go (e.g. Recently I visited Surat, Navsari, Vapi + 2 small locations in one go. If I would have gone by 3rd AC train + AC cabs, it would have cost me INR 4,000 atleast. May be more. But I completed my journey with just one tankfull. i.e. INR 2,000) + peace of mind (priceless)

Disadvatages :
    1. If you are not an enthu driver, you may get bored of driving
    2. Travelling in Bus/Trains are safer than a car
  8. Loki

Loki

You forgot the 1.4 FIRE :)

I do train/ bus only if its overnight. Taking the car is a default choice if ~350 km needs to be covered in a day
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Toruk: I think car is more safe if we think that the life is in our hands, but in bus/train it is in the driver's hand:)
    1 person likes this.
  10. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Agree Sun. My comment was based on the probability of accident of a car v/s accidents of a train. Train don't have to overtake other trains :D
    1 person likes this.