1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Sweet LINEA..

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by Aravindh VK, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sure.. will do it in a couple of weeks..:) Thanks a lot for your great support..!!
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Even if you put CR20 on all sides, no one cares a damn. I've seen atleast 70% of cars running with heavy tints. I'll definitely put a sun film before next Chennai summer as it can become unbearable.
    3 people like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    True. I will also follow the suit but won't wait till the summer. I would do it as soon as I land in India. If they have stopped the drive, it is better to go with CS50 as we can save some money. :)
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Each to his own I guess.

Rajan
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Rajan - completely agree and its a personal choice. I don't think we should occupy Aravindh's thread anymore. Let's hop over to the Sun Film ban thread to discuss further.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hope you did not miss the first line.

Yes, all other statements are based on my decision to do the same in my car. If you don't like it, you can stay away but there is no point in questioning why I have made this statement and so on.

If you still like to discuss further please post in sunfilm thread.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @ramjn - It is not about sun film. Most of us break the law in one place or the other in our day to day life. Failing to stop on amber, using 90/100 headlights, occasionally crossing the prescribed speed limit, crossing a continuous line to overtake - just to name a few. IMHO, though ignorance is not an excuse, breaking a rule that one is not aware of, is just that - lack of awareness. However, breaking a law that one is aware of is a crime.

The problem is, coming to a public forum and endorsing these acts. As members of a public forum, especially where the vast majority of the members are first time car owners, I personally feel that we should refrain from posting suggestions that may be construed as an encouragement to break a rule. Choosing to break a rule or to follow it, is individual decision and I would hate for a public forum and its members being dragged into the muck, as their posts were misinterpreted / misunderstood.

This is just my opinion and please do not take this as a personal attack against you. It is not meant to be that. If you were offended by any of my earlier posts, I apologize.

Thanks,

Rajan

PS: Arvindh - Sorry to have hijacked your thread. Any and all kinds of Sun films are illegal, no matter what the VLT. The CMVR is clear about the VLT of glass as fitted in an automobile at the time of manufacture. Any alteration to this post purchase is illegal. CR70 or even CR90 have excellent heat rejection qualities, but do alter the VLT of glass. If you still choose to apply any film on the glass, it is entirely your decision. :D
    2 people like this.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is very vast subject to discuss about our rule of law and how we are breaking the rule. Many a times, I have expressed my aggression over the violation of traffic laws. This particular ruling according to me is a major conspiracy that is designed against the public. Still, I don't want to encourage anyone to do this filming just because I am planning to do it.

We have already very well hijacked this thread. :D We should stop at it here.

All is well. No apology is needed, Rajan. I appreciate your view.
    2 people like this.
  9. After this long debate.. The following are the points that I would like to share:
    1- Rajan, I agree with you that violating law in any situation is a crime, but we do it in our day-to-day life.. like going in 120+kmph where the speed limit is 80, violating Lane discipline on highways by the trucks, and so we are pushed to violate it. These kind of rules have to be violated for our necessity. With a 11 lakh car on board, and if we are uncomfortable with the temperature during the travel, we can't enjoy the ride.:D So, this violation doesnt feel bigger[ONLY FOR ME:D].
    2- I am a student and I am aware of automobile terms well, but I am new to the threading/accessories zone and so, Please do expand the words instead of abbreviating it till I[including all new comers] am/are getting familiar with it please.:)
    3- I can find many genii here and I must point it out here that, I am motivated to learn more each and every second because of you people. Hats off to you..!!:up
    4- Thanks for all your support in the past, present and in future too..
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Guess you are referring to the usage of VLT. If so, here goes:

There are three properties of glass, wrt to light - VLA, VLR and VLT. VLA is visible light absorbed, R is reflected and T is transmitted. These are measured in percentages and the three will add up to 100%

Automotive tempered glass, which is used for automobile rear windshield and side glasses as manufactured, usually have 5% VLA, 5% VLR and 90% VLT. As per CMV rule 100(2), the VLT needs to be 70% or more for rear and front windshields, and needs to be 50% or more for side windows. This specification is for manufacturers of the glass itself and for the direction of the car manufacturers to procure and fit compliant glass in automobiles.

While theoretically applying 70% VLT film on 90% VLT side window would result in 63% VLT, which is more than the prescribed 50%, the learned judges of SC have ruled it illegal, as the CMV rule does not provide for any after market alteration of VLT by the owners of the automobiles.

In view of this, I do not believe it is prudent to question the SC ruling. However, this ruling does open a pandora's box:

1. If application of any type of film to alter VLT is not provided for, then isn't permission to manufacture such films illegal?
    2. Isn't the department that is responsible for granting such manufacturing permissions responsible for granting such permissions?
    3. So, what in the world is RTO approved film?
    4. How can the RTO so negligently approve of a device, that breaks the very law they are expected to enforce?

The VLT percentages are to ensure clear visibility for the driver, not OF the driver / passengers. When manufacture / storage / unlawful possession of a variety of goods that are illegal are criminal offenses, then how could the government be so callous in granting permissions for manufacture and then also approve the same?

Rajan

PS: I know that there is more than the expansion of VLT in that post, got lazy and copied / pasted from one of my earlier posts in another forum :D
    1 person likes this.