1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    TYRE update:

So the stock Alnacs served me well for close to 47k kms with just 1 puncture. It was time to decide on the tyre. This time I wanted to go with a softer rubber and after doing some analysis stuck with the Continental MC5s.

My ride is already lowered so I thought that it was best to go with the stock spec ie 195 55 R16. If I would have upgraded to 205s I would have had the following 2 options:
    1) 205 50 R16: Michelin PS4 and Yoko S-drives. I felt that this spec is not much suited for the Indian roads so gave it a miss.
    2) 205 55 R16: This is the spec I was interested in as it would have increased the sidewall to give a better ride while the dynamics also wouldn't have suffered given the increased width. The only problem was that it might have touched the wheel arch under full load, given that my Punto rides with ~160 mm of GC.

With the stock spec there were the following options:
    1) Conti MC5s
    2) Falken Sincera 835s
    3) Michelin XM2
    4) Hankook Kinergy (The new Verna comes with these as standard)

I liked the tread pattern of Falken but in the end went with the MC5s after hearing various positive reviews.

Now about the tyre:

1) The noise is negligible and now the engine noise is heard. Earlier the tyre noise at higher soeeds used to overpower the engine noise.
    2) The grip is just stupendous. I loved driving my Scintillator all over again around the ghats.
    3) The steering has become heavier at high speeds and now the feedback felt is better than before.
    4) The ride has become a little better at all speeds.

So in short I am very happy with the tyres :) I hope they stay the same in times to comes. I got a good deal @ Rs 6100/tyre.

Now some pics:

Punto_1.jpg

Punto_2.jpg

Punto_3.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Battery Update:

This time Pune has received some nice winter and I am very happy about it. But then one fine day I unlocked my car from the remote key and as soon as I cranked up the MID started showed 'EBD failure, Check handbook'. It went away after a minute and I ignored it thinking that the winter weather might be at the fault. Next week on Monday when I tried cranking the car it didn't crank and I had to get it jump-started. I went office and after that for the whole week it didn't show any weak battery symptoms. But all this gave me a hint and I decided to get the battery changed as I had a Goa trip coming on the weekend and I didn't want to take nay chances.

Battery: I went ahead with Amaron Flo (50 mAH) that I got for Rs 4850/- after the exchange of the current battery from batterybhai.com. I got 4 years warranty with it. The other option was Exide (which was costlier by 200 bucks) but then again I got good reviews about the Amaron and so went ahead with it.

Battery_1.jpg

Battery_2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Your scintillator still looks like million bucks @Turbothinghy !
    47K on OEM tyres with minimal punctures is quite an achievement. Mine was not bearable after 28K.

Turbothinghy likes this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks a ton @pabhishek :D Was your t-jet also wearing the Alnacs when you bought her? I thought that these were one of the best OEM tyres.

4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Mine came with Good Year Eagle NCT (205/55 R16). And as per most of the feedback/reviews, they aren't that good @Turbothinghy .