1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Deepak

Deepak Superiore

Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Even I like the stock alnacs. They are just brilliant all season tyre barring the high speed noise. If you are not upgrading to 205 go for mc5 in 195. They are brilliant tyres and VFM. My next upgrade will be a mc5 (just need to decide 205 or 195).
    coming to rear arc scraping in 205, dont you think the eibachs are more stiffer than the stock coils? I am unable to predict whether it wil touch or not.
    Pirelli p7 is all season tyres and definitely or durable than the Michelin p3 st. It's VFM compared to Michelin.
    As of now I'm more leaned towards getting the 205 MC5s as my next tyres as its kinda in middle between the p7 and Michelin P3 ST.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Turbothinghy and Barani like this.
  2. Pavan Puvvada

Pavan Puvvada Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    What was cost for this in Pune. Is it suitable for Linea MJD

3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes MC5s look like the best to me as well. In the stock spec even Michelin XM2 is available.

The eibachs are any day stiffer than stock springs. Need to do some calculations to predict whether it would touch or not after going for a 205 spec tyre which would add 5 mm of sidewall to the current setup. If it doesn't touch then the 205s would make more sense for me as I have a stiff spring and extra sidewall would make the ride better in the lower speeds.

The current stance:

stance.jpg

--- Double Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    I had paid 16.5k for the remap in Pune. I guess the current price is Rs 16k. I can share the number of the Viezu Pune tuner if you are interested. I have covered around 17k kms post remap and now I cant think to revert to the stock.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Barani and Deepak like this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Today I did a wax session on Punto after getting it cleaned from outside as I wanted to spare me from it and concentrate on waxing. I had sourced collinite paste wax from USA and this is the first time I used it.

I was used to using normal formula 1 carnauba wax but this beast is a little different. The wax if made to stay on the surface for long buffing becomes a solid exercise. So the trick is to do small sections at one time and don't delay on buffing.

I will let the pics do the rest.

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

The wax :
    IMG_2400.JPG

Now I need to change the number plate asap, maybe in German font.

Don't know why the pics are showing up side down.

5. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy Hi, after quite a while @ the forum. How's the suspension upgrade going ? Has it settled well ?
    Just a question, I understand it is firm compared to stock, but is it at least 75% as "plush" as the stock one ? I've been quoted 24k for it, from auto psyche Delhi. So planning to upgrade in the coming months, but as for now I'm quite content with the stock setup, albeit with the body roll. awaiting your reply. :)

6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The ride can't be called as plush as you are always aware of the road. At medium to higher speeds there isn't much problems but big bumps do make their way inside the cabin so I need to show down otherwise the car will get tossed around. On the recent highway trips I have felt that the ride isn't great in concrete roads while in the tar roads the ride is brilliant. Also while going the joints in the bridge the stiffness is felt. Some part of the stiffness might also be due to the tyres that have run for >45k kms and have become hard.

Having said that the ride can still be not called as harsh. It's decent and manageable as the dampers are brilliant.

On the flip side, the handling has improved by leaps and bounds and the body roll isn't a problem anymore. Also because of the lower gc the car puts down the power cleanly and I have wheel spins in 1st and 2nd gears under hard acceleration. The remap has complemented the sporty setup IMO.

I had apprehensions regarding the GC post lowering but haven't touched the belly even with 5 adults on board, thanks to the stiff springs.

In short I am very happy with the springs. If you care much about the ride I would recommend you getting the pre-2012 shocks which would lower your car and give you a brilliant ride. But you will need to be careful under full load.

Cheers!

Harsha89 likes this.
  7. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy you mean, change to eibach coils and then shift to pre 2012 shocks?

8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Nope just change the shocks to the pre-2012 shocks. You will get a better and lowered ride as the springs are same in both the pre-2012 and current Puntos.

Approx ride height with permutation and combination of shocks and springs:

Stock setup: 185 mm ; body roll, plush ride (30 km/hr onwards), no GC issues
    Stock springs + Pre-2012 shocks: ~170 mm; Lesser body roll, Best ride at all speeds, GC might be an issue
    Eibach springs + Stock shocks: ~160 mm ; Best handling, Sportier ride (better than Fiesta S though), no GC issues
    Eibach springs + Pre-2012 springs: ~150 mm; Best compromise between ride and handling, Mostly will have GC issue

I am recommending you the 2nd option while I find the 3rd option the best if one is ready for a sportier ride.

9. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy I distinctly remember one of the members in this forum telling me not to go for the pre 2012 shocks with the current coils, as it may pitch more due to the softer nature and the high GC of the stock coil springs. I'll be sure to check it anyway, since you've mentioned it. I just want the suspension to bob and pitch less while I pass undulations.

10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I guess the old Punto setup did have the current springs only but the shocks were softer and smaller (which made them closer to the GC). The post 2011 shocks are bigger and stiffer. So if you change the shocks to the older one, you would get the pre-2012 setup which had a great ride and handling balance.
    I dont know, even after having the eibachs the pitching is still felt on bumpy roads and I need to slow down!

Harsha89 likes this.