1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy Take care of your health. Keep yourself well hydrated.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 23, 2017 ---
    @Turbothinghy Wish you a speedy recovery.

Turbothinghy likes this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks guys. I am getting discharged from the hospital today. Now need to take some rest for a couple of weeks ago that Dengue doesn't get relapsed. I will try to get those springs installed soon and come out with a report.

3. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Take care of your health sir. All my best wishes for speedy recovery

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Turbothinghy and Sachin patel like this.
  4. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. Barani

Barani Amatore

SG / Coimbatore
    Linea T-Jet
    Get well @Turbothinghy.
    Also FYI. I enquired about abarth struts and springs from FASS for linea.

FASS quoted 16k for all 4 but didn't want to say whether springs alone can be used and respective price for springs alone

Turbothinghy likes this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I feel FASS would be the last set of people who would know the subtle suspension differences between different fiats. I would re-iterate that the Abarth springs and shocks are exactly same as the one found in the normal Punto albeit the shocks are stiffer and the sump is lower which makes it closer to the ground .

Barani likes this.
  7. Barani

Barani Amatore

SG / Coimbatore
    Linea T-Jet
    True. I will wait for your feedback on eibach springs and let me take call. for me lowering the stance of the car is not a priority and some how I love the ride quality of abarth over bad patches of the road compared to linea (bumpy relative of course from abarth ride only). It is stiff compared to linea but definitely not bone jarring or uncomfortable.

People who drive to chennai from bangalore can relate the conditions of TOLL road between kancheepuram and chennai outskirts. Abarth was able to absorb even some sharp crater pot holes as well in this stretch of the road. (BTW I do understand the roads are getting relayed properly now)

8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Barani : I would get the Eibachs installed soon and then will come with a report. From the part number it seems that Autopsyche is installing the eibach pros that are meant for Punto 1.2 /1.4 (non-tjet) on the Indian Punto evo diesel and abarth. This means that these eibachs won't be that stiff and would be more suited for Indian road conditions.

NOTE: The international eibach springs were made for European Puntos that were heavier and longer (4030 mm) when compared to the Indian spec Punto and the ones for the abarth / mjd are stiffer than the ones for 1.2/1.4 fire. I assume that the international eibach for the 1.2/1.4 are more suited for Indian spec Puntos which might be the reason that they are being installed by Autopsyche on the diesel and abarth Indian spec Puntos.

9. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy Any updates regarding the spring installation ?

10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Fun with Eibachs :

So finally I got the Eibachs installed last week and have driven around 250 kms post the installation.

Installing the rear springs was comparatively an easier affair though it requires the ramp for the installation. To remove the front springs it's a time taking job though.

How's it to drive?
    Well this is going to be the section all of you would be waiting for. Well on short the Eibachs have changed my Punto's character to a considerable extent. The car feels more nimble and confident on feet and feels livelier. Yesterday I took my Scintillator to old Mumbai Pune highway just to test the dynamics on the winding roads. It's become very easy now to take higher speeds around corners with almost no body roll. The pitching over bumpy roads has also reduced quite a lot and car feels more sure footed and planted.

The Ride quality :

I am happy to report that the ride hasn't suffered a lot and is still absorbent, thanks to the brilliant OEM shocks, though it's not plush like before. The stiffness is felt the most at lowering speeds. At higher speeds it's flat for most part but some road undulations are felt inside the cabin but that also doesn't make it uncomfortable. In short the ride has been affected but definitely is a deal breaker.

The steering has become a little lighter at parking speeds post the installation. I read on the net and after the springs settle in its imperative to get wheel alignment done. So I will get it done this week and then report. The heaviness at highway speeds seems to be unaffected though.

Now what about the ground clearance?

Well the gc seems to be lower than what we get with Punto abarth. I will attach some pics at the end where you would see the difference. In real world conditions the gc still feels quite adequate. I have driven with 4 people onboard but haven't got any underbody hits even over king-size speed breakers. This strengthens my reasoning that why it makes sense for our Punto's that already have a SUVish GC.

Looks :

Now Punto looks perfect IMO with uniform gap between the 16' wheels and the wheel arch like how it should have been from the factory.

Finally, I feel that this has been the 2nd most worthy investment (after remap) that I have made on my Punto and now my Scintillator has become even more fun to drive.

Some pics ( More will follow):

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2072.JPG

--- Double Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---

Now wrt Abarth Punto :

Stock Abarth :
    IMG_2089.JPG

Abarth with Eibachs :
    IMG_2090.JPG

My Punto Evo Sports with Eibachs :
    IMG_2072.JPG

Yesterday's lunch outing at Sunny Da Dhaba at old Mumbai Pune highway :

IMG_2083.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Ganges, mchanna, varunrtr and 15 others like this.