1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. cassini

cassini Amatore

Germany
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy I received them as part of the free accessories kit KHT Fiat provided back in Dec 2012 when we bought the car. They worked fine for years. But I have stopped using them lately since I use the car every day now. I think for your limited use, they are more than enough.

Turbothinghy likes this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Today I am returning to Pune after a good vacation at home ( read delhi). There I got a chance to drive my parent's new S-Cross Zeta 1.3 for around 1900 kms when we traveled to Rajasthan.

Following was the route taken :

Delhi - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer - Bikaner - Delhi

I was stunned to see the roads in Rajasthan. They were great throughout and I loved driving the.

Now about the S-Cross : The S-Cross has a sweet ride handling balance though the ride at high speeds isn't as flat as my Punto. The steering also weighs well with speeds but is devoid of feedback. The interiors are of high quality and are in the Jetta category IMO. The overall build quality is also pretty decent, and the doors also close with a minor thud. The engine tuning is brilliant and coupled with perfect gear ratios the lag is well contained. The best part is that one doesn't have to revv to get performance as 100 km/hr comes at around 2200 RPMS @ 5th gear.It has acres of space inside and it was nice to use apple carplay. The boot is pretty decent as well. We were 5 adults with 5 big bags and some small bags and the boot could everything inside. The top end seems to be not as great as fiat MJDs but still is acceptable.

Some irritating bits :

1)The boot lamp needs to be switched on and off manually from the boot.

2) The Zeta version comes with keyless entry but at times even when the key is inside the car the MID shows that the key fob isn't in proximity.

So after a long time I am actually impressed by a Maruti product.

3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Turbothinghy

Thanks for the S cross review. Did the car feel safe when driving at 100+ speeds? How is the body sheet material, thin, same as Punto? Doesn't the 1.3 in the car feel under powered? I hope you did suggest remapping option to your parents.

Turbothinghy likes this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The S-Cross was perfectly stable at 100+ speeds, no issues there. The sheet metal is of course not as thick as Punto but is a lot thicker then baleno or city. It feels well built. As I said the tuning and the gearing never makes the s-cross feel under powered at least till 120 km/hr. The car pulls well even at <1500 rpms.

5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    After driving the S-Cross for a substantial time following are my observations when I drove my Scintillator, after a long time:

1) The steering felt very heavy. Maybe thats one of the major deterrent for a lot of people who test drive a fiat (in city limits) after driving Marutis and Hyundais throughout their lives. As for me, I felt at home.

2) The steering feedback came back that I was missing in S-Cross.

3) The power delivery was much more immediate, maybe because of shorter initial gears and throttle response was a lot crisper which can be attributed to the remap.

4) The ride finally became fully flat and I didnt have to brake for small/medium undulations on road. I somehow love the stiffness in the Punto.

5) The gearshhifts felt a lot better and smoother :playful: and people say Fiats have a lousy gearbox.

6) The clutch felt lighter.

7) The NVH felt similar. Remember my Punto is remapped. So the stock S-Cross does have a better NVH than a stock Punto.

8) I felt dettached from the outside world :p. S-Cross was good at it but the Punto feels the best in this aspect, which can be attributed to the thick metal sheet.

So, all in all I am again a lot excited to drive my beauty and would be planning an outstation trip soon :D

gpunto75, Karan, pabhishek and 7 others like this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    So I have completed 2 wonderful years with my Scintillator and it's been a fun ride throughout. I am averaging 17.5k kms per year which is around 5k kms/year more than I had expected while buying my Punto.

Lately I found that there were some stubborn hard water marks in the front and the rear windshield so I ordered Carpro Ceriglass polish kit. The results were awesome though the pics might not do justice because of garage roof reflection.

Also the windshield has become water repellent as the water doesn't stay on the glass. Just before monsoons I will give the windows another polishing session.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

kishorekrs, Barani, KPR and 5 others like this.
  7. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congratulations on completing successful 2 years with your Punto, the car looks real nice for 2 year old, have many more happy miles.
    You try Carpro spotless for removing hardwater spots from glass / paint and use ceriglass probably once or twice a year

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. KPR

KPR Superiore

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats on your two years of owning this punto and keep enjoying it like wine!!!

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using Tapatalk

9. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Some pics from inside :
    IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

I can vouch for this glass polish as it has done wonders.

Today did another Pune Mumbai trip through the expressway and got a good FE as I was a little easy on the A pedal. Following are the stats :

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

A Fiat is definitely a love affair that keeps getting stronger with time. Feel fortunate to drive my beauty.

10. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    That's sweet FE for such an avg speed. Along with ceriglass try flyby forte.. The water just beeds off during rain once u gain lil speed, very less use of viper for mild rains

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

kishorekrs and Turbothinghy like this.