1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I just came back from Goa to Bangalore drive and I did 140km/hr once and came back to my cruising speed like you did. It was quite easy and steady but I felt 140km/hr was too fast for my brain to quickly respond in case if some fool crosses the road :)

I have been getting 19.4km/L mileage most of the time on my 90hp... thanks to the excellent roads and less traffic in Goa, but you will get there too.

Its been 15 days since the delivery and I have crossed 2500kms! Yes, it does make you drive more and more :)

2015-04-10_17516.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thats great Sid. The colour is looking classy :shame: I travel 20 kms one-way (home to office to and fro) in Pune traffic and these are the figures I am getting in general:
    With AC: 12.5-13.5 km/ltr
    Without AC: 14.5-15.5 km/ltr

Though when I went to Mumbai last weekend during the highway I could see around 18 with AC.

My beauty has just completed 600 kms on the ODO and I am planning another day trip in the coming weekend. Its just addictive to drive and as you said makes you drive more and more :happy::happy:

OT: Do you drive more at >2000 RPM or <2000 RPM?
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I am mostly AT 2000RPM... AC almost always on. On highways at or below 3K. And I never over-rev.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Ok. I upshift at 2500 RPM normally. I also don't rev past 3000 RPM.
  5. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Ok. This is something that I have learnt in last 15days and maybe you should try it too... since we both have 90hp ;-)
    Shift to 2nd almost immediately after the car starts moving in 1st gear. You will be surprised how the 2nd gear pulls. Keep reducing the time you stay in 1st gear till you find your minimum. Also, till 3rd gear try not to cross 2000 RPM. From 1st to 3rd, the longer you stay in these gears, the lesser the power you will feel.
    Of course, try this on flat road without traffic. Traffic is the worst thing that can happen to your new car.
    It works for me so well, that the engine is very quite till I cross 80km/hr... music sounds so loud at volume 1 on the default speakers :)
    I was shocked when I first discovered it and all the struggle suddenly disappeared.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    The 3rd definitely is the best ratio available on the MJD and I usually upshift at 1800 rpm and did not face any challenges in traffic as well. You might want to give it a try to upshift below 2k rpm and Iam sure you will be fine with the power available for regular runs .
    prabhjot and Turbothinghy like this.
  7. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I agree! I usually don't cross 1500 rpm till 3rd gear and love the way my punto responds. But that is in Goa... no mad traffic and the roads are good.
    This time when I was in Bangalore traffic with my 15 days old punto, it felt as if I was surrounded by wilder-beasts and its extremely difficult to ignore the rush :-(. But I can proudly say I manged to stay below 2000 rpm :)
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I will try up shifting below 2000 RPM and see how the Scintillator respond :happy:
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 16, 2015 ---
    Today while coming to office I up shifted at a touch below 2000 RPM and yes as you people said, the 90 hp responded better than i imagined :joyful: Is it the VGT at work ??:wideyed:
    Once I read in some forum that if we mostly drive below the turbo band i.e <2000 RPM some kind of soot is formed, so we should try operating the engine in the turbo zone. Any thoughts on that?
    Also, by upshifting at lesser than 2000 RPM I got a better efficiency (though by not a big margin) of 13.8 km/ltr with AC.
    PradeepM likes this.
  9. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    It probably means, stay in the higher gear (3rd & above) and be above 2000 rpm at higher speed of course. It does not mean, reach 2000 rpm in 2nd gear itself. I am not an expert on the technical side but I listen to my car... it helps. If you are in my car while I am driving, you can never tell which gear I am in from the sound of the car(except for above 80km/hr speed)... as quite as possible... and now I am bragging :) :)
    My gear shifts used to be completely different compared to how they are now on my 90hp. I shift to 2nd at 1000rpm(on clear road), believe me it pulls so well. And I shift to 3rd at 1500rpm and then 4th at round 2000 rpm and at this point and beyond everyone knows how this 90hp rocket performs :).
    Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yup it makes sense. Even I have felt that the 3rd gear pulls decently around 1500 RPM. I wonder why the turbo lag has been so hyped specially on the 90 hp. I guess the VGT makes the difference.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2015 ---
    Guys I was thinking of buying a 3D floor mat for my 90 HP. Would the below be fine :

http://www.amazon.in/Star-Car-Mats-...bs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0424K961B6DP8644A3B4
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015