1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Trilok Chandar

Trilok Chandar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy, Awesome review. I just read it. Do you have any body roll while cornering it hard ?
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    THIRST FOR MORE POWER: The Start,The Need

I am driving my Punto Evo 90 HP for the past 1.5 years (Current ODO @ 27.5K Kms) and I simply love it for the known reasons. The mid-range of the Punto Evo 90 HP is quite punchy which makes it quite brilliant at the Ghats, very well complemented by its taut chassis. But, the low-end has been its achilles heel, though its slightly better than the GP 90 HP. So, while the Evo 90 HP even in her stock form is quite exciting on highway drives, thanks to her nature to open up brilliantly on the higher RPMs; but in the city limits it just feels adequate and requires a lot of gear shifts.

Whenever I have taken her on the highways, I have felt that the engine becomes super smooth, the pick-up in the 2nd gear becomes substantially better and the overall performance feels a lot punchier. Just an FYI, I don’t hesitate on taking her to 3K+ RPMs and I do that frequently, especially on the highways, because of which on an average I get a FE~15-16 km/ltr. So after all the highway drive when I reach Pune, and start driving in the city, she feels a lot eager for the initial couple of days and then she comes back to her not-so-good city mood where I hardly am able to drive her at >3K RPMs. I always wanted her to have a similar nature in the city limits as well.

That’s where I felt the need for a remap. I started reading about the ECU, remap, available tuners et all about 6 months back. I contacted the following tuners:

1) Kiirus: Abhiskek (Mumbai branch) felt knowledgeable about the remap and the things, but I got some negative reviews for MJD engines in X-BHP. Also, the cost was quite steep (Rs 28K) and they charged extra for getting it flashed again. Kiirus has maps for a lot of NA cars that many other tuners reject like the Maruti K-Series , Honda iVtec etc. They also remap bikes like Duke.

2) TOT: A friend of mine (who owns an Ecosport D and is also interested) talked to Sid and he was in all praise for him. I would still maintain, TOT seems to be the best in the remapping business. They are highly qualified and have remapped a variety of cars including Grand i10 and S-Cross 1.6 that none of the Indian tuners have worked on till now. They use the latest tools i.e they don’t directly solder on the ECU but use spring load connectors. Price is again 28k. I guess, only TOT and WolfMoto have the Master as well as Slave equipment. From what I remember, even TOT charges a nominal fee to get it reflashed.

3) Pete’s: I talked to Rishad, Mumbai branch and got to know that they provide a single map for every car that they source from Custom Code, UK. They just simply flash it without tinkering it as per users’ needs. Also, when I checked the CustomCode website, I got to know that they mainly tune German cars. Moreover, I wasn’t interested in pre-defined maps, so didn’t consider. They are cheap now, though, 19k.

4) Viezu: Not many are aware about Viezu, but they are gaining popularity slowly. They seem to be a big hit in Europe. They started their operations around 2 years back from Bangalore and now have a footprint in several other cities as well. Their FB page is quite active and that’s where I had a chat with a couple of fiatians (who I don’t think are TFIians) who were happy with the remap and had driven for more than a year now. Suhas, Viezu Pune told me that they also use spring load connectors and have 2 defined maps for every car. One is purely for power, the other for ((power+FE)/2). But, they can fine tune it as well as per we want. My friend and I are meeting Suhas tomorrow. It is priced attractively at Rs 18k. Suhas told me that he won’t charge the money right after the remap, but only after I am satisfied. Also, as per their policy I can get the remap reflashed within a year for free and would be charged a nominal fee after one year (around Rs 500). Another good thing is that Viezu Pune is affiliated to Bhargava Motors, Bavdhan (Run by Pandit Auto people).

5) Wolf-Moto: Last but definitely not the least, it’s the Wolf. I guess, maximum Fiats have been mapped by Wolf. I got to know that Rajiv would be back in Dec’16. Also, I am not a fan of multiple maps, so gave it a miss.

Where it stands:

So, I am very impressed with TOT but after doing a SWOT analysis, Viezu is also not sounding bad at all. WHY?

It’s the cheapest, by a big margin. It’s based out of Pune. It’s affiliated to a known garage. It has a good name in UK. It has good reviews in its FB page.

The thing is that I am not looking for the best power or the best 0-100 sprint timings that can be extracted from the little MJD. If I wanted this, TOT would have been the choice without any doubts. I just want more power in the lower end (till 2K RPMs), a little more zing in the mid-range (2K-4K RPMs) and no changes in the top end (>4k RPMs). Not that I don’t cross 4K RPMs, but I don’t want to put a lot of pressure on the engine near it’s redline. In fact, remap wouldn’t have been in my mind if I was driving her only on the highways.

Stay tuned for further updates :D
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 7, 2016 ---
    Due to the increased GC, there is some body roll, but not to an extent that you start losing confidence. I do some decent speeds on the corners and the Punto follows the curve without any problem, only when i do hard cornering, there is some understeer, but again not a lot. I would also like to add, that a lot of credit should be given to the the super direct steering that weighs like no other car in the segment, or even a couple of segments above.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    asimpleson, linea4me, Deepak and 5 others like this.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  4. Trilok Chandar

Trilok Chandar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy waiting for the tuned up Evo!
    Yes, I fell in love for the handling I felt with steering and the dynamics. Yeah I was cornering it hard screeching the rubber since I wanted to see the extreme in which the other hatchbacks lost the game simply in maneuvering at low speeds. Thank for you for throwing in more light.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. KPR

KPR Superiore

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    So the bug to remap has bitten you. Oflate (Just from last 200-300 kms) I had found that my 90 HP has opened up well and is responding my press in A or in other words I had started finding sweet spot in my car but you've already laid the road to remap your car!

Following thread on updates.

Yesterday one of my colleague who owns a 75 HP sat in my car, says he envys the all black interior :happy:
    So we are few hundreds for whom Fiat has tailor made all black interiors (Also 16" alloys)!
    90HP alloys are boring? It has grown serious on me. The emotion alloys are more sharp/crisp whereas the 90 HP alloys are meaty and pompous in sync with the mammoth Red punto.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @KPR : True, the 90 HP alloys really grow on us. It might not be as sharp or edgy as the 75 HP one, because looks great and different from the crowd

The all black interiors is now only available on Abarth Punto, so we are indeed lucky to have it in our Puntos and they look sweet
  7. Deepak

Deepak Superiore

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy : did you consider code 6?

as you have done R & D on remap, could you please explain bit more on spring load connector? why its used? how it's different from other tuners? What are master and slave equipment?
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi @Deepak . I have read some negative reviews wrt Code6 on TBHP. They tried to remap grand i10 and totally screwed it up. You can read it here:
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...4-bad-experience-code-6-tuning-bangalore.html
    Also, they are based out of Bangalore, so didnt pay much heed to them.

Spring loaded connectors enables a tuner to not touch the ecu directly by soldering on it for making connections. As the name suggests they are loaded on the ECU through a spring to connect to the ECU. Presently only TOT, Kiirus and Viezu have this tool. Others directly solder on the ecu.

All OBD tuning tools are available in two versions. The master tool and the slave tool.

The slave tool is cheaper to purchase but has the disadvantage that it can only flash tuning files obtained from the master tool which is owned by the tuning supplier like Viezu UK.

With the master version of the tuning tool you can read the content of the ecu and edit it yourself. The master is a lot more expensive. So Viezu UK has the master tool and Suhas would have the slave tool. He would read the ECU and then send it to Viezu UK and give the pointers on what kind of tune we want. The Viezu, UK technicians would edit the maps and send it across to Suhas. He would then write it on our ECU. When we met Suhas on Saturday, he checked my Punto's ECU and told me that it has the older ECU which would require 2 hours to read and 2 hours to write. Current Puntos have a faster ECU.

Tuners like TOT and Wolf have their own master tools, which means they can tinker with the tune fully on their own and that they are highly knowledgeable in that department. This is the sole reason they charge higher than the competition. Other tuners like Pete's, Kiirus have affiliation to some remap supplier like CustomeCode. Viezu is no different, but the only difference being that Viezu, Pune is actually a franchise of Viezu, UK.
  9. Deepak

Deepak Superiore

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Remap Update:

I was to get my Red Scintillator remapped today but then Suhas (Viezu, Pune) recommended me to get it serviced before it as I am nearing 30k kms (Current ODO @ 28k kms). Also, I want to be sure regarding the ecu update that some 90 HPs are getting nowadays, so that the remap doesn't get over-written and I dont have to get it re-flashed again. So I have got an appointment with Sky Fiat, Akurdi for the coming Tuesday at 9:30 am. I would be taking leave on that day and would get it remapped the same evening. Looking forward to the D-day :p

My friend is getting his Ecosport remapped, right now, as I am writing. Viezu gave us a good deal as we both are getting our cars remapped together. I would also be enquiring about the Abarth badges (rear+front) and the steering badge at the FASS. I have heard contradicting quotes for the same. Will keep everyone posted.

Watch out for updates...
    prabhjot, linea4me, KPR and 3 others like this.