1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Would explain it properly in a couple of days. No one was hurt. It was just that I ran over a big stone (in the middle of the road) which created a loud thud and eventually bent the underbody. I had to drive for another 100+ kms to reach Pune. I just feel happy that Punto has such a solid underbody, if it were a Baleno, the engine could have been damaged as it is devoid of any underbody engine protection.
    Dinesh Kumar and Ganges like this.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy Mate just one quick question. Any reason why you are planning to change the filters and engine oil @ 7.5 K.

Well air filter I can still understand that with increasing pollution folks who use cars as daily drive and drive through heavy traffic can change for better performance. Cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore where pollution is way beyond acceptable limits may necessitate a change of ac/air filter.

But why others are required is a question I have since the beginning. I have noticed a lot of Fiat Owners doing it. Any logic behind it.
    I guess manufacturers especially FIAT who does a lot of testing would have taken all this into consideration including pollution in the bigger cities and Indian average road and traffic conditions before arriving at the 15 K service intervals.

Are there any proven cases where issues have come up after following 15 K service intervals.

I have been following the 15 K interval diligently and have complete 30 K on odo and 3 services. Touch wood not even a single issue till date. I do take my car for regular check up every 5 K or before any longer trip which ever is latter and top up fluids and clean the air filter if required. But all changes of fluids/filters is as per FIAT recommendation. Irrespective of what service guys say I follow the manufacturer recommendations. At best I top up fluids and get the air filter cleaned.

Cars are anyways depreciating assets. Does it really make sense putting in so much money for general service.

Do not get me wrong but I really want to understand the logic behind such services. This will add up to almost double the amount of money that we spend on preventive maintenance. The same money if invested wisely can be used for the down payment of the next bigger car.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I appreciate your practical way of thinking @nibedk . Its just that I want to keep my engine in tip-top condition as I intend to keep my Scintillator for long. Pune is a very dry city and has a lot of dust. Pollution will also keep on increasing, until BS-V/VI comes into picture. So keeping all this in mind, I feel that the air filter should be changed more often and its quite cheap as well. Regarding the engine oil, again i feel that it would keep the engine in a better state (even if it means only marginally better).
    People normally spend a lot in detailing their fiats monthly/quarterly. For me, keeping the engine in a better state is more important than this. I also feel that 15k kms interval is too much for Indian conditions, given that other cars that also drive on the fiat engine have a lower oil change interval. Here also I understand that Selenia is better than their mineral oil, but still, just dont wanna take chances in the long run.
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy. Even I am not letting go my GP 90 HP for as long as possible. I really do not think we will have anymore cars which will connect with the drivers as well as the Punto/Linea. I do not at all intend to sell my FIAT as long as it can be taken care of ( parts availability etc.). Don't you think manufacturer knows better than all of us and when it gives a service interval of 15k it would have diligently carried out all the tests before even approving such an interval. This can be really gauged from the fact that FIAT took so much of time to launch the new Linea and Punto. Same was the case of Avvy as well. The number of sightings of Avvy/Evo much before the actual launch is proof enough that FIAT have done thorough testing of the machines.

We do not have any documented proof yet which says that FIAT cars in Indian conditions require servicing earlier the recommended service intervals.

Well remapped FIATs are different category altogether where ECU parameters are changed and a lot more is extracted out of the puny engine stretching it to the limits.

When I bought my Punto even I had a lot on my mind like re mapping, some visual changes , new speakers etc. Realized it very recently no point putting moolah on a depreciating asset. The money saved all through the next five years can get me a better car and I can continue enjoying my FIAT as well just following the recommended service intervals.

I had a Swift earlier and it had a 5K service interval. Now Swifts have 10 K service intervals for same engine. What changed now?? Nothing except competition. With newer European competition and folks warming up to foreign manufacturers the desi manufacturers had no option but to act. Anyway service is the major money spinner for dealership.

Talk to any senior FIAT technician if driven sedately engine oils will last for 20 K. Its just that company recommends 15 K service so as not to push machines to points of failure.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    Though I'm not aware, but you may wanna check the manual (for FIAT) across different country. If they have specify same interval everywhere (irrespective of traffic,roads,weather), then it definitely makes sense to change them earlier.

If not, your claim makes sense. Manufacturer knows the car best.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am GP 90HP owner and completed 70,000km on odo. Right from 1st year I am changing engine oil, oil filter & air filter at every 7500km.

Engine feels relaxed and smooth like it was brand new back in 2011.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  7. KPR

KPR Superiore

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    That makes 2 of us :rolleyes:
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 4, 2016 ---
    @kedarbendre : If I am not wrong, your 90 HP is wolfed, right? So did you start following this interval even before your car was re-mapped, or after it?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  9. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    Another way to look at this is; what FIAT specifies is under Ideal Conditions? Is your daily travel under Ideal Condition (non B2B traffic, no frequent short trip, no continuous redline or driving in lower gear).

If no, don't wait till 15K
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    The cars are tested for lakhs of kilometeres and in different situations and I agree with what @nibedk is saying. But Spending EXTRA Rs. 2000 for new engine oil (semi synth) and oil filter in an year is not a big deal for me.

Following 7500km oil change interval before remap. Most of the time used Selenia and used Petronas & Mobil 1 Delvac once.