1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Guys, I am driving to Goa day after tomorrow (currently ODO @ 8800 kms). Do I need to check anything apart from coolant, air pressure etc??

Finally, this would be the first proper long drive of my Scintillator, already excited :D. I expect anywhere between 1100-1300 kms round trip. Also, it would be fully loaded with 5 people (including me) with full boot. Would be interesting to see how my 90 HP manages the extra 300-400 kgs.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Go bindaas, just get some practice of how to jack-up the car when punctured, if not done before. :D
    Dont worry about the FIAT pull power,it can pull another punto with the current load too.it will be ghat road drive,so becarefull with right turns,in punto sometimes it gives blind spot.Before start of the drive fill the wiper tank.
    its just 1300Kms,no need to worry anything about coolant level or engine oil level.
    if you are driving by NH-4,then be carefull for Pune - Satara stretch,one of the worst roads on NH.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Finally did the Goa trip. Following are the details:

Route followed: Pune-Kohlapur-Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Samantwadi-Mapusa-Candolim

Total kms travelled: 925 kms
    FE: 16 with 100% AC with heavy foot all the time.
    Average Speed: 56 km/hr

While going we were 5 people with full boot and while coming back it was only my wife and I. I was a little apprehensive so as to how my 90 HP would respond with full load. But it was a pure bliss as always. The super strong mid range coupled with the push back to seat effect was breathtaking. It was raining almost all the time.

While driving in the Amboli-samantwadi ghats I enjoyed the famed Fiat dynamics to the fullest and one of my friends ( who owns a Verna) complemented me on my driving by saying that 'that u don't put brakes on the corners'. I simply said that boss its because of a fiat that gives me that kind of confidence. So he also tried doing the same and was surprised by Punto's ability.

We had left quite late at around 12 in the noon and reached Goa by 9:15. As it was an extended weekend, Goa was crowded like a fish market. It took us close to 2 hours to find a hotel.

While returning we started at 3:30 from Goa and reached Pune by 11:30. While I was on NH4 an XUV was tailing me for almost 10-15 minutes and after that it was gone.

But while returning I felt that the steering had become a little stiff. I went to office yesterday and felt it again. Got the air pressure checked today while going to the office and the front tyres has less pressure. But still the problem is intact. What can be the reason for this ?? Do I need to check the steering oil ?
    Deepak, pabhishek and ghodlur like this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Can a low steering oil level be the culprit for the above mentioned problem? Also, if the steering oil dips below the minimum level, do we have a notification light in the MID, the way we have for engine oil?

Got my Scintillator a 3M wash today:

IMG_20151007_151925490.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Amit Rox, pabhishek and kedarbendre like this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Finally the milestone is reached:

IMG_20151019_210132901.jpg
    Amit Rox, rider16, prabhjot and 2 others like this.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I am sure there must be an indication on the MID which has not been configured. Since the steering oil level is picked by the sensor and communicated to the ECU, there must be some means to display the malfunction if any. However too many indications or symbols on the MID will confuse the owner. There must be a way to connect the EBD and get a dump of malfunctions.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @ghodlur: That heaviness in the steering is gone for now on its own. Though will get it checked at Jay Vijay in the coming week just for the piece of mind.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Turbothinghy

The steering heaviness can be also due to alignment issues or improper tyre pressure. Do check them too.
  9. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @turbothingy

the following can cause steering heaviness:

#1 low air in tyres, one or more of the tyre pressures mismatched can cause this.
    #2 non-balanced tyres can cause this and reduce braking effectiveness too.
    #3 unevenly worn tyres can cause this too.

Apart from the above, after market bigger tyres/alloy wheels usually cause this, but that isn't the case here.

It must have corrected after the correct air pressure was filled in, must be the placebo effect that you felt it a while later. Good to know its resolved.
    prabhjot and Turbothinghy like this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I got the air pressure checked then, and the front tyres did have a little less pressure. But even after that I was feeling a little stiff. But as you said, it looks like to be the placebo effect. Now everything seems fine, touch wood :D
    prabhjot likes this.