1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Further update on the ECU update: Have driven my 90 HP for more than 700 kms and now I can say that the agility has increased in city conditions, very well complemented by the Shell diesel that I filled for the first time. Also in 3rd and 4th gear at 1300-1400 RPM, there is no lugging. Ths has reduced my frequency of changing gears. Loving the whole experience once again :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 6, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 6, 2015 ---
    Guys, a small question. Is it possible to paint chrome in some colour? I was thinking of painting some chrome parts in black on my 90HP as I feel that its a little over done.
    pabhishek, prabhjot and PradeepM like this.
  2. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy

You can paint the parts but first you have to remove the chrome.
    better take help of some company doing it but incase if you do not get any help I will explain the procedure it is simple but you need to get all those chemicals which might be difficult for you to arrange.
    prabhjot, Deepak and Turbothinghy like this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Bro, please enlist the steps. I would then see whether it's doable for me or not.
    Deepak likes this.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy

You need to remove the component from the car which you need to paint and beware do not place the car anyway near by coz the fumes will damage other chrome component.

1) Get a a suitable tray in which you are able to dip the component.
    2) now pour hydrochloric acid (HCl) in the tray and dip the component for say 10 minutes and keep on stirring the acid with a wooden stick. this will ensure that new acid comes in contact with the surface and spent acid is removed.After a while you will see a change in color the whitish bluish chrome will first transform into dull grey black and then underneath Nickle film will come which will be bright yellowish white. The color of the acid will transform from yellow to greenish blue.Keep your face covered as fumes will generate.
    3) wash the component with fresh water
    4) When you get the nickle layer you have to strip that also you get the bare plastic underneath. To strip the nickle layer take another tub put 70% Nitric acid and 30% sulphuric acid V/V. Immerse the component till all the layer turns black and then red layer is shown showing the copper deposit. remove the copper deposit by same method and you will get the raw moulding . Buff it as it will have etching marks due to the orignal plating procedure and hand it over to the painter for further color coating.

Use subsantiate ventilation because lot of red color gassing of NOX will be producced in step 4.
    I hope this will suffice.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    So after completing all the steps, I should paint/get it painted in black?
    Also, if I directly paint the chrome part, it won't sustain?
    I dont think I would be able to carry out the steps you told o_O
    What kind of shops would do it for me?
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes after completion of all steps you can get it painted.
    As far painting on chrome is concerned the paint will peel off in few days and scratch resistance won't be high.
    There are some sealers and binders called primers which are put on plastic so as to get a good bond between paint and plastic these form a cross linked chain after some time and temp.Now if you put these sealants on chrome since the ABS part is not exposed so the cross linking won't happen thus no bonding. Same is the case when do chrome plating on a ABS part in that case palladium is the binder between ABS Nickle and thus chrome.

If you think it is difficult for you then see for some plating Jobworker in Bhosari area (there are plenty) who does plating on Plastic he will be able to do that.
    Turbothinghy and PradeepM like this.
  7. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy .. Why don't you try plastidip. it's not a permanent solution but will help to keep the chrome parts intact in case you want to revert back to stock one. Also it is an easy DIY solution.
    Turbothinghy, PradeepM and prabhjot like this.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Didn't know of plastidip.. Lemme check it.
  9. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    just watch this video , you will get good info.

there is a dealer in Mumbai who sells both aerosol can & gallon packs.
    Deepak and Turbothinghy like this.
  10. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @aramico
    These products are more or less same as com paints with their base as acylic one since they are single part and do not use any hardner.I don't think they will have good weatherability more over a aerosol can I can think you can spray though with only dust particles but a can with a air gun forget it you need to be thorough professional with a spray chamber to do that so better to stay away from these marketing gimmick.The gun you are seeing might be using a nozzle which costs more than 35K and the paraphernalia behind the gun would be around 2L.They are demonstrating it so easily that anybody will get floored.
    If you want a long lasting paint then you need to bind the plastic with the paint polymer a very must step otherwise everything is waste of money you spend.
    @Turbothinghy
    If you have a slightest of doubt that you might need to revert back to chrome part in future then Buy a raw plastic part from FASS and get it painted and keep the chrome part with you for future.This would be the best solution but do not buy these cans. These raw materials are used for non asthetic application in automobile sector for eg: you can see them in clear form on a motorcycle description chassis plate which is riveted.
    Turbothinghy likes this.