1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @tweeting_fiat

That's true.

The thing is that MOST roads are cambered to the left. Without a hydraulic steering many drivers never realize that and make the 'minute' course corrections without being overtly conscious. The hydraulic steering definitely makes what is implicit, explicit. Also, it may be that Fiat's famous road holding (whatever that may have to do with the the front suspension architecture, and the car's weight, i don't know?) makes the car track further left along the road's camber than most other Indian-market cars, perhaps, maybe?

When my dad and I first drove his 2009 Linea we too were convinced of a 'left pull', I remember us letting the steering go on many different roads just to confirm. We found there was no such real issue. Also, the pull ghost seems to prefer only the 'left': he's a 'leftist'! :p

Of course, a fair few new cars being reported on here on TFi have a real issue, however variable the severity.

In any case: the brand's haunted (by its distant past, and a few other ghosts like some mediocre dealers) but it seems also by its very virtues (e.g., hydraulic steering, wide tyres, weight, etc):(

PS : @Turbothingy these left-pulling posts are not an infringement on your thread-sovereignity, i hope!?;)
    Deepak likes this.
  2. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    O.K. The last thing we can do is 'blame it on the roads'. Fiat , PLEASE, deal with this issue seriously.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @kgramesh

Agreed, all I am saying is that the 'left-pull' issue is not as common as some feel, nor always as severe, nor indeed always (like with my Dad in 2009) as 'real'!
  4. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    I have never faced any such left pull issue in TD vehicles ? I have purposely left the steering and it was moving straight...
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    For me the left pull isnt a problem until it strains your right hand or the left tyre worns out quicker than the right. I mean it has to be that severe to be a deal breaker. I also face a slight left pull but I havent faced the said symptoms till now. Also not only Punto, but Polo also has this issue, but as in general people are so skeptical before buying a Fiat, they try to read a lot about it, and the best part is that they also find a lot of reading material like ownership reports, niggles etc (thanks to Fiat Enthusiasts for maintaining several Fiat forums) which isnt applicable for other manufacturers, where they buy it blindly with no/little reading material available.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 4, 2015 ---

2 months ownership report:

My Scintillator completed 2 months yesterday with 3300 kms in the ODO. Didn’t expect to travel so many kms, maybe this is the Fiat effect :joyful:

Now I have started enjoying my 90 hp in the turbo zone as initially I was driving with a lighter foot to get more FE. Now it feels a different car all together. Even then I am getting decent FE. When I drive to the office I manage around 14-15 km/ltr with AC on in Pune traffic. While returning, I don’t switch on the AC (as the weather becomes pleasant) and I end up getting around 17-18 km/ltr.

Bottomline: Very happy with the power delivery and FE, don’t think I require any tuning as of now :smuggrin:

Issues/glitches felt till now:

1) Face a slight left pull. Will get the WA/WB done and the suspension checked at first service. For now have got my front tyres swapped and the result is a lot better even if its not a permanent solution.

2) In between 1500-2000 RPM and in 2nd/3rd gear, I feel a jerk while accelerating fast. Will get it checked at first service. Have heard other 90 hp owners (read: Evo and Avvy) facing the same problem and apparently Fiat doesn’t have a fix for this as now.

3) Few scratches here and there and the worst part is that I don’t even know how some of them happened.

4) Have done 3 Pune-Mumbai trips till now and somehow I felt a fair bit of body roll around the Lonavala bends when doing around 70-80 km/hr. Does the 90 hp have more body roll than its 75 hp cousins because of bigger tyres? :confused:
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Body roll is higher ground clearance and there nothing to do with tyre size imo. Whenever you get chance try driving pre 2012 Punto and I am sure you will fall in love more than your 90HP.

If you are coming for the breakfast meet on 14th June you can drive my 90HP (Wolf remapped)
    prabhjot, Turbothinghy and Deepak like this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kedarbendre
    tires profiles too can be considered as a cause for body roll,when my ride had 195/60/15 there was no body roll.Once switched to 205/65/15,experienced bodyroll and its there on my ride now.
    prabhjot and Turbothinghy like this.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    ohh I see. Thanks for correcting me @Ganges

205 65 15 is what Innova comes with right. Any specific reason 205 65?
  9. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yup would be coming for the breakfast meet and would love to drive your wolfed 90 hp :)
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes,Innova tires.
    Especially for "High GC" and water bed comfort.No tention on potholes eats up easily everything and last but not least "The Beast look".