1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Red Scintillator: Now remapped by Viezu

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Turbothinghy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    image.jpg image.jpg I feel fortunate enough to be a prestigious owner of Evo 90 hp.

Background :

I learnt driving when I was in 7th class though I wasn't allowed to drive far for obvious reasons . Would like to share the learning experience. One day during a weekend a few of us friends decided to watch a movie together in a movie hall. That time we were in 7th class and our exams were just over. So one of my friends' mother came to pick us up after we were done watching. On our way back to home she stopped in between for some errands while we were still inside the car. My friend told me that if you just release the clutch the car moves slowly. So we started taking turns in doing it. It felt so nice. At this time our summer vacations had also started. So as usual we went to Patna to stay at our grandparents' home. There one day I tried doing the same with nana's car and felt really excited about it. That was the start and when I came back home after exhausting all the summer holidays started taking out our maruti 800 within the streets and learnt to synchronize the accelerator with clutch and started driving.

After that we bought maruti esteem in next 6 years and changed 800 with a-star after 5 more years. So all in all my majority experience in car driving had been limited to maruti.

Foreground:

I moved to Pune last year after completing my MBA. Got married this Feb and now was the time to buy our first car.

Considered following cars :

1) Volkswagen Polo 1.2 comfortline
    2) Volkswagen Polo 1.5 trendline
    3) Fiat Punto Evo 1.2 dynamic
    4) Fiat Punto Evo 1.3 dynamic/emotion
    5) Fiat Punto Evo 1.3 90 hp

I wanted to go for an European car within my budget. My earlier budget was 6-6.5 lacs which got stretched to 8 lacs in the end.

I wasn't even sure of buying a petrol car or a diesel car. To be frank enough only swift petrol has that that zing factor when it comes to driving. Fiat 1.4 is also decent but somehow don't see it as a VFM proposition, and the list ends here.
    Made one thing clear that if I want to have fun I will have to go for a diesel car. As I already had an initial filter of European cars only I had to choose between polo and Punto.

Volkswagen Polo:

IMO the polo petrol mid variant is a VFM offering that has abs+ airbags as standard and will set u back with 6.7 lacs. It was peppy enough in the city limits and ride quality was great as well. But the 3-pot motor wasn't refined and had a diesel like clatter.
    Polo diesel is some other animal and is quite expensive to buy and to own. Will get to the finance part later but yes as far as driving is concerned it was pretty impressive. The engine is great and the new steering wheel looks very classy but doesn't have the feel that Punto exhibits.
    The biggest catch here was I could have only afforded the base diesel variant which is devoid of abs which is a must for a performance oriented car.

Fiat Punto Evo:

Drove 1.2 and was pleasantly surprised with its drivability. The torque at a lower rpm does the trick though it wasn't as peppy as polo petrol. But the steering and the ride + handling felt supreme.

Then drove the mjd 1.3 and felt a bigger turbo lag than polo and the power was coming only after 1700-1800 RPMs and after that it was a breeze. Also 1.3 being a diesel had 10 mm lesser ground clearance when compared to its petrol sibling. What might be the reason be??
    So booked 1.3 emotion 75 hp after making up my mind that upgrading from dynamic to emotion makes sense for the price.
    Now comes the 90 hp. Always heard from people that 90 hp is enjoyable at highways only and the turbo lag is even more pronounced than its 75 hp cousin. So just for the sake of it asked for a TD of 90 hp. Started the engine and it was way more refined than its 75 hp sibling and on the contrary felt that the turbo lag was less pronounced than 75 hp even though the real power started to come only post 1900-2000 RPM . The mid range felt peppier and I couldn't test the top end. Took it for granted that at highway speeds the 90 hp is one of the best cruisers.Loved the all black interiors too and now suddenly I wanted to buy 90 hp. After discounts I had to pay 30k more than the 75 hp emotion for which I was getting 16 inch wheels that really look meaty, company fitted spoiler, all black interiors, blackened head ligand, chrome exhaust for only 1k and of course a more powerful and a more competent engine. I worked out our financials and booked 90 hp Ferrari red.

So final quote :

Total cost : Rs 811000 (including 1k for Chrome exhaust)
    Total discounts: Rs 72000 ( including free insurance, corporate discount, exchange bonus and dealer discount)

Free accessories:
    Original fiat mud flaps and carpets.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 4, 2015 ---
    Some more pics :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. avithe1

avithe1 Amatore

(Mira Rd) Thane.
    Thane
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats :) , more pics please especially of the full black interiors.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Sure. I didn't cover the interiors. Will do it in sometime :happy:
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi there.

Brilliant. The Red Evo, of course, but also the way you've maybe expressed through it your confidence: good Pune mba naukri, marriage, good career, already! The Evo is the red cherry on the cake, eh? (Pardon the familiar joking tone):)

cheers, enjoy, all the best
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Prabhjot. The red color does exhibit and inspire confidence more so on the evo. :shame:
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @Turbothinghy, it's awesome. Evo or Avvy in Red is a scorcher. Accept my congratulations and envy.;)
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  7. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congratulations @Turbothinghy
    The red looks HOT!
    I got my 90hp three days back... Crossed 700kms already and planning a long trip soon. I know exactly how happy you are :)
    @TFI, my ownership thread will be coming soon.
    prabhjot and Turbothinghy like this.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Saket :happy:
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 4, 2015 ---
    Thanks Sid and congrats to you too. In that case you are fortunate enough to drive 700 kms..my number is gonna come on Tuesday or Wednesday so I am not able to drive far till then :meh:which color btw?
  9. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations @Turbothinghy ! Red is looking smashing hot in the already sunny Puneri day :)

Wish you a great ownership experience.
    OT- are the pics taken in Baner ?
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yup near Makhan Mar ke :happy:
    pabhishek likes this.