1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My punto mover left and right when steering is kept straight??

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by D-Punter, Aug 30, 2013.

1. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi,

Few days back on Mum/Pune Eway while trying to overtake an Indica I suddenly experienced that the car was not holding to the road. I was @ around 120 kmph & I felt as if the steering and the wheels had no connection. This was the first time I was really worried while driving a Punto. Infact a few months back also while driving back from B'lore I had similar feeling for a short while but I had overlooked and thought it might be due to the roads.

The first thing I thought was of getting the Wheel Allignment & Balancing checked. When informed about the problem the balancing guy immediately checked and asked me to get the Lower arm & Steering components ( end ball joints & steering ball joints )checked. Infact he showed me that the lower arm bush had cracked.

Now I need your views can there be any other issue for my problem mentioned above?

Attaching a photo of the lower arm bush which has cracked. Can only this component give me such a steering feel?

And JFI my car is @ around 97000 kms & the suspensions were replace with the higher GC kits @ around 35K

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran

punto lower arm.jpg
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Could be due to soft side walled tyres as well.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.
  3. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I dont think so that it had to do anything with the tyres. My car is on Primacy 3ST which has been driven around 12,000 kms.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Kiran you are fortunate unlike ani1900s who met with an accident due to this problem. Though ani's car is not so old as yours finding out the cause of this problem will surely help him and also others to check their cars as a preventive measure and help avoiding any further untoward incidents for the members of this forum and their friends as well.

You can find further details here
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I was in Pune till last monday and from what I have seen the tarmac on Pune-Mumbai Express way have got uneven due to hot temperature and overloaded trucks on road causing melt tarmac to form humps in roads and when car tires go over these uneven humps the driver feels the car is not under control and car is pulling to one direction. If you apply brakes you would feel brakes are not working and ABS woks like crazy and if you try steering it feels something is wrong with steering. One section of Mumbai-Pune express way is having many such humps just before a curve. Mumbai-Pune expressway is not at its best now the roads are in bad condition and not smooth

These melt tarmac humps are very common and much worse on Rajasthan roads and major cause of accident and sump damages of low slung sedans and hatchbacks.

Lower arm would surely have to be changed as its cracked but I am sure the problem you experienced was not because of this as if it would have been due to cracked bush, bad ball joints or tie rods etc you would feel it every time you drive.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    3 people like this.
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Sathishgv, I agree I was fortunate nothing untoward happened and not like ani1900s. But the main problem is that the SC do not check the vehicles unless there is a problem. Infact, I ask the SA every time I change oil which is @ 7K/8K to check all the bushings and suspensions.

@Vijay_kHasa - The problem I faced was actually when the roads were better, Hence was worried. I have taken an appointment with the SC tomorrow, let see whats the out come.

Thanks

Kiran
  7. ani1900s

ani1900s Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey Kiran..... sorry for so late reply, but really consider yourself lucky that the lack of connectivity between steering & tyres did not caused any harm.... get chills thinking what would have happened in your case when you were @ 120kmph, whereas what happened to me at round 80kmph is infront of you.
    Also thanks for bringing this into light as till date, though I got my car repaired, I was still trying to search for a possible cause of my accident.... agreed that SC should have checked and all those points but then a detail check with every car might not really be possible whilst servicing.... mine was just over 24000 km and that over 2 years, so who would have thought of possible wear & tear to such extent.
    Anyway, enjoy your drive and request everyone to be very cautious whenever you feel a slightest problem in your vehicle....