1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

my punto met with an accident :(

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by Herbie, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hi guys :( ,
    ..my car ( punto 1.4E pack) met with an accident and now lying at TATA motors workshop. Thankfully by grace of GOD we all are safe without any injuries.
    my car would be a year old in couple of days.
    the estimate that they have quoted is around 2.75 lakh excluding airbag which may cost extra( after thourough inspectiom) MID shows airbag failure when turned on.
    a lot of other damaged parts ( meaning additional cost) will be evauated once things are opened up. :( (i might have to end up paying close to 90k plus 50% airbag cost as additional.)
    IDV of the vehicle is around 5.3 lakhs.
    ...my concern is after the huge list of items to be repaired at the workshop i am in doubt about the fitment quality of the workshop in general as compared to the factory fit. :(
    (not targeting TATA motors here, i am sure they are a lot better than a lot of other authorised garages)
    [ the engine is not damaged but the chasis needs some cutting and welding]
    my friend suggested tat i should look for the option of my car being totalled, as any way i might end up paying close to 1 lakh with air bag expense in tow and the fact that i might get a new vehicle with the IDV and 1 lakh.
    i need help from you guys with regards to total loss claiming conditions and whether i can make use of it:confused: please help me out as i am a total noob out here

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

i am at loss of words right now as still grieving with what happened..maybe once things get sorted i shall post a thorough documentation of what exactly happened.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Very sorry to hear about the accident and thanks to God that all the occupants are safe.
    I should be able to answer your question since I had posted the same question after my Linea met with an accident which cost me Rs.92k.For 3 plus lakh Rs damage work,would it not be prudent to go for a new car,since your car after repair will never be like before.Iam sticking with my old car after repair since I have a kind of bonding with my car and I teat it like a family member.Running behind TATA ASS is very tyring and is simply useless.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    how did the accident happen? do you have any pics to judge the damage?

if its hell lot of structural damage better to claim total loss.
  4. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

really sorry to hear that. Glad that every one is ok.

If this involves lot of body repair better go for total loss. I am not sure how much amount you will lose in this deal but it will be more peace of mind IMHO. Estimates are approximate values i believe, so you won't have to shell out that much.

R,
    Vishnu
  5. Really sorry to hear this!
    Thank god every one was safe..

The fitting definately would not be to the factory standards..
    Better try claiming for total loss and get a new vehicle.

How did this happen?
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    sad to know about the accident but thank god that everyone is safe. These things are part and parcel of life.. do not let it get over you. Given that all occupants are safe, all that you'll loose is some money.

Now coming to the total loss part, going for it is always advisable in any case of major accident. The reason for this is your car will never be the same as new. you' ll have to take much more care of her and keep taking her to the hospital (SC) every now and then. This happens because as you said there will always be some difference between a car built in the factory (lot of work is mechanized)and one built in an SC (everything is done by hand).

In your case, going by the normal procedure you wont get an option of total loss since your repair estimate is only 52% of the total IDV and i suppose it includes your share also. For any vehicle to be eligible for total loss, insurance company's share in the repair estimate should be more than 75% of IDV. All this considering that, in most cases the actual repair cost does not exceed the initial estimate.
    However i would suggest that you speak personally to the insurance surveyor and try for some alternate ways.

I have gone through all this when my punto met with a major accident when it was little over 3 weeks old. now its around 17 months old out of which 14 months she's been with me and rest she had spent in the hospital (SC).

Let me know if you have more questions, I 'd be more than happy to answer whatever I can
  7. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

I can understand how it feels. I have been through all this, my punto met with the major accident and I was in the same dillema. The total repair cost was coming around 65% of IDV so insurance company was not accepting it for total loss and for the repairs SA said it will take minimum 4 months(subject to the parts availability from FIAT). After the negotiation with insurance company they agreed to do it on net loss basis. My IDV was 6.15L and as a part of net loss i got 5.7L. so I would suggest you to negotiate with insurance company and try to get maxim,um out of it.
  8. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    Thank God that you and your family were safe. Do you have some pics of your Vehicles current condition?
  9. Sorry about the accident and good to know that all of you are safe. Please do post on the details of the accident on what exactly had happened as it seems to have caused severe damage.
  10. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thank you.

Thanks a ton Team Fiat:) for all the replies, i am at work right now so will have to keep things brief.. the insurance guy said that what i got from TATA motors was just an estimate and it is bound to be on a higher side. And the claim for total loss is only possible if the damages account for more than 75% of IDV.

will have to look for this option and see what it works out to be- "I can understand how it feels. I have been through all this, my punto met with the major accident and I was in the same dillema. The total repair cost was coming around 65% of IDV so insurance company was not accepting it for total loss and for the repairs SA said it will take minimum 4 months(subject to the parts availability from FIAT). After the negotiation with insurance company they agreed to do it on net loss basis. My IDV was 6.15L and as a part of net loss i got 5.7L. so I would suggest you to negotiate with insurance company and try to get maxim,um out of it."
    Gmittal
    user-offline.png