1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Punto had a brain surgery, she's come out a much smarter beauty now

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 7, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Thank you

Exact I cannot say, but according to his calculations it might be somewhere at 90-91BHP(at the crank) so I'm guessing about 82-84BHP at the wheels..
    Dynos are very expensive here so waiting until i find a cheaper place.

I will update on this after a week or so...
    I can have exact figures by then of what has changed ..
    But I know for one that there is a guy with these mods and he's averaging about 16-16.5 in blr city.. That says something.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

53kms update...
    I was told by Siddharth to drive around 50-100km to make the ECU more adaptive to my style of driving and I had to go out in the evening so both tallied up and managed to cover about 53kms in the City today.

I left my place at about 5:30PM (Peak traffic) and returned back at 11:00PM.
    Here are a few things I found out.
    1.) The engine is super super smooth, almost like a hot knife through butter (at least on diesel engine terms). I was surprised myself and almost believed that my car's engine had turned into a petrol one.
    2.) The torque increase is definitely visible and city driving has become so easy, I mean i almost had to re-learn gear shifts to make sure I dont drive too fast.
    (That is the eagerness that the car showed me today)
    3.) In my 53km drive, I've used AC liberally between 5:30 to 8:30PM on my drive in the thick of traffic and while on my way back i used AC for about 6kms and then rolled the windows down for some nice cool breeze( since it was 10:30PM already and very little traffic).
    All i can say is i got 15.6 kms as avg. This is stupendous if you ask me for I had never got anything beyond 13.8 no matter how cautiously I drove.
    The only change I made to my style was to hold gear 2000rpm and then shift.. Occassionally I did shift at 1800rpm, ( Earlier for casual driving I used to shift at 1700rpm,roughly)

All i can say is that in my 2 yrs of driving this beauty I've never reached 15kmpl in city, EVER
    I also have a pleasant feeling that I might touch 16-16.5kmpl in the city.

Highway driving and its review will have to wait for a while, but as for city driving my personal rating would be a 9/10. ( 9 because , to err is human) ;-)
  3. sungoa2010

Now the million dollar question is that if with new tuning it can give a better FE and boosted power, quick acceleration, Why Fiat has not gone for this kind of tuning.
    The answer will also explain the agility of swift? Without any reason Fiat will not do that.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Well not really a million dollar question if you ask me because...
    1.) FIAT has no R&D in india so they dont really know exactly what has to go in , I'm guessing no R&D in india is a big big loss and it shows in the product.
    2.) This is more evident when you look at the gear ratios of swift Vs Punto
    3.) punto is a good 120kg heavier than the swift, that also adds to the power loss, (again R&D if you ask me)
    4.) I saw the swift's(outgoing one) ECU maps as well today along with punto's and honestly there isn't a big difference at all between them, also true is the fact that they are almost similar ECUs

Answered, i guess

Finally pulling in quotes from "Drifter"
    I'm very sure that my car has not reached 105BHP, I'm sure its not even reached 95(at the crank), So component damages are hard to believe with this.
    To add to this, the 2009 models and the 2011 models of punto (talking about FGTs only) have a different map , this was told to me by the TASS guy.
    So looks like its again a case of Burn and learn from FIAT.
    1 person likes this.
  5. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Apologies if this is Off Topic and mods may kindly redirect it to the right place if they deem it to be necessary. I put it here as Ganges asked about this on the first page.

Kindly note that this information has not been verified and has come from various sources.

The differences in 75 HP and 90 HP would be as follows

1. FGT (Fixed geometry turbo charger - 75 HP) and VGT (Variable geometry turbo charger - HP)
    2. Larger injectors (on the 90 HP)
    3. Different (probably stronger) fuel pump (on the 90 HP)
    4. Reshaped combustion chambers (on the 90 HP)
    5. Lowered compression (on the 90 HP)
    6. Different ECU (or probably just maps)
    7. Difference in exhaust utilization (turbo waste gate and EGR - Exhaust gas recirculation)
    8. Heat treatment to the components (of the 90 HP)

This can be clear if we have the soft copy or hard copy (latest) of the parts catalog and some information about the manufacturing process details of the components.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    those were absolutely valid points and i believe the post was not offtopic, as we are discussing all about tuning here.where as mentioned by theblack about some other modifications/remaps to the EGR,Smoke,Turbo and fuel.

i would also like to add few more to the list about comparison of 90ps with 75 ps :-
    1. 90 ps engine has pistons with oil galleries/pockets at bottom (beneath combustion face) for better piston cooling.
    2. wiring harness, engine timing gears, intake manifold, catalytic converter, vacuum pump.
    3. Common Rail System operates at higher fuel pressure.

Above all:-
    More power from same CC engine means higher operating temperatures & thus requirement of better cooling. 90 ps operates at higher oil pressures to care of higher cooling requirement. This calls for different High pressure pipes, thermostat & different oil cooler (having bigger heat exchanger).
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

Have you done a emission test after the remap? Will it meet BS IV specification?
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

i've not done it yet, i think i have another 2 months left for it.. will do it shortly and post the updates as well.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Changes in values of MAP sensor, knocking sensor & fuel qty
  10. bna

bna Novizio

How much has your car clocked ? I am thinking of getting it done on my linea. Its run 16k as of now. Do no whether to go for it or not.