1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Punto had a brain surgery, she's come out a much smarter beauty now

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 7, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    5:30AM,"tring tring", rings a message on my HTC and as expected it was from "Siddhart" from Welcome to Tune-O-Tronics the mobile ecu remapping service, ecu tuning, remaps, performance, economy, fuel, cars. and the message says.
    "Morning dude, Leaving now will see you in 45mins" and my smile grew..( First time in my life i ever had a smile at that hour of my day).

6:20AM, My phone rings again and with a smile I exchange the greetings and he's at my door step.
    I walk out to see a white optra magnum with 16" alloys and 2 heavy fog lamps on the bumper, wow this is my day I thought to myself.

Parked outside was my car and siddhart told me we need to go for a drive first before anything and almost immediately we were in my car and heading towards the mysore rd at 7AM.
    That's when we discussed about all the flat ends on my car and where exactly I need more power so on and so forth.. We stopped by a tea stall.
    Had a cup of coffee and him being satisfied with the way my car drives (Siddhart is very particular about the car being maintained well and will not believe it unless he drives and feels OK , No matter what one says he wont take another step if its not well maintained).

So then we get back home , He opens the bonnet pulls out the ECU and we get back inside, Into my room for the fun stuff to being.
    There it was at 8AM that my smiles started to tear my face apart and siddhart was visibly happy to see me this way :)
    A few screws undone, a bit of hot air blown to loosen the sealant and the outcome was this,
    IMAG0133.jpg

I was blissfully happy to see them professionally handing the ECU which gave me the confidence that nothing would go wrong.
    Getting down to work, my concerns were these
    1.) I want more power in lower RPMs to an extent that I can pull out of a hill (facing the incline), with the AC on without much effort.
    2.) I want better timing in my 60-100kmph runs
    3.) The overall power gain after 120kmph to reach 140kmph should be linear and smooth and effortless.

Having seen how i drive already and after some discussions , He pulled out his 007 gadgets
    IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg

and started the work.
    It took all of 2 hrs for him to carefully detail the so called maps and the ones tuned were.
    1.) Rail pressure maps
    2.) EGR maps
    3.) Smoke map (so called because I didn't want a tune to increase smoke count come what may)
    4.) Turbo maps
    5.) Fuel maps
    (These in itself have sub maps, and I was told by Sid that there are roughtly 160maps in all for even a basic car).
    I was obviously impressed, I mean the only maps I had seen of cars were in Need for speed and Fast and furious , This time around it was my turn Mr Vin Diesel , I thought to myself. :)

Moving ahead , I went down to have breakfast and they continued to work on the ECU, at about 11:30AM ,Sid closes his laptop and says "Its time to see what's what" with a smile..
    I was smiling even more :)

Bolted the ECU back clamped in the screws started the engine almost immediately there was something different. My car was idling at a lower noise level.
    Hmm, I thought ok something definitely has changed.
    Doors locked ,chucked into 1st gear and rolled out for a TD.
    Drove out of my residencial area at a slow speed, I was hoping to open the taps and feel something new shortly.
    Up until then the only difference was that of the engine clatter .
    Coming up to an intersection the car was on AC and in 2nd gear, I pop the clutch and the car Jumps to glory :p , wow something really has changed I thought but it was too early.

Driving along the rather calm roads of Rajarajeswari Nagar towards Kengeri , I was shifting into 3rd, 4th 5th, back to 3rd and so on..
    Every shift felt there was something different, I just couldn't tell what it was but it surely made my hopes grow higher and higher...

THEN ,THEN ,THEN, I found a stretch of arterial road(2kms) that connects to N.I.C.E road and thats when my punto became ABARTH'ed :p:p
    I stopped there AC still running, put it to 1st and floored it, 200rpm swiftly changed to 2nd floored, 2500rpm changed to 3rd and floored,
    and so on. the revs just kept on coming , they kept on coming.
    I wondered if i was in a Porche or my beloved FIAT. It was just staggering :eek:
    The car just pulls and pulls and pulls all the way up to 4500RPM without a hick up and the way it pulls, MY GOD was i amazed.
    We did back to back runs for about 5-6 times on that entire stretch and I was thoroughly happy with the remap.
    Sid says this was only a slightly aggressive map with economy in mind as well and the moment he said that, I was pleasantly shocked..
    "if this is slightly aggressive then what is a performance remap", I asked

So what has changed now?
    1.) in gear accleration has improved A LOT
    2.) Engine feels a lot more quieter and smoother than before (I'm still running on selenia)
    3.) There is a fair amount of peppy'ness induced thought not savage its nice.
    4.) Drivability in city has increased a lot

What i dont like/ will get changed
    1.) 60-100kmph burst needs a bit more work. Especially the work from 80-100
    2.) In 4,5th gears at 3200rpm it take longer to reach 3500rpm and 4000rpm than what I would like, that needs a bit more work as well.

Final comments,
    This surely is a well executed remap, I'm very happy with it.
    But I would like to drive this for a few more days/weeks to see exactly where I need a bit more power and re-tune it accordingly.
    I started off this project of REMAPS with a view to only better my city driving feel and to add acceleration to my car which it deserves badly and that's all.
    I never was keen on increasing the MAX speed to 200kmph or 1000kmph or whatever, I just wanted to sail in any gear.
    I wanted the power delivery to be easy in any gear, And thanks to Siddharth and 'tune-o-tronics' , I have achieved my goal
    ( A bit is still left, will get that done once I fully know how to handle this)

Hearty thanks to,
    1.) Sat-chit-anand , for letting me drive his car and teaching so much about RPMS, turbo and everything else in general
    2.) Siddhard and Tune-o-Tronics for remapping the ECU is a safe way

PS:: "Mine is not a full blown component destroy kinda remap and its not tuned in anyway to get even slightly close to the component's thresholds"
  2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Thats Great...

I am sure everyone must be so happy for you being so very happy...

Cheers Buddy... :up
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How much it cost?
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    It was 27K for me.
    But I can revisit him anytime with any minor mods I need and they will do it free of cost, So i thought it was sensible.
    There are many guys in blr with puntos ,who have got it done from them.
  5. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    There is no way with a re-map to come even close to the limit of the Punto drive train components. At nearly doubling the torque delivery the components were holding together. The gearbox is from factory delivered with 105bhp variants and have been tuned with TUV certification to 160bhp. The engine components of all 1248cc variants are identical.
    2 people like this.
  6. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    you must be all excited to drive a new engine (well almost). enjoy the drive. how much for the remap??
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm glad you put in you're opinions as well..This would make the tuning business a bit more relaxed in the indian context for people who always hesitate to get such mods done (I was one among them)
    Where was this?

Any authentic docs that can justify claims?
    It would be really really helpful for everyone.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    drifter,
    will be helpful,if you throw some more facts to it ?
    what i know is that:- difference between 75(FGT) and 90 hp(VGT) is related to only turbo charger ?
    are you sure
    even for 90 hp ?

theblack,
    how is the deacceleration ? and mileage concerns ?
  9. Man and his machine. looks like both are happy.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Congrats for the power boost. Is it possible to know how much is the exact increase in power and torque.
    What is the change in MID compared to earlier one?