1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My New Search Starts......

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by pemmasg, Feb 2, 2013.

1. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    A little background
    My faithful companion, My beloved Punto 90 Hp Left me by last Thursday. She served me for past 20 months. The confidence instilled by her made me a frequent traveler. She made me to visit many places for the first time in my life. She clocked 34K KMS in her 20 months tenure with me.

Why I had to take this tough decision?
    I took car lease policy from my office, the policy came with some strings attached. If I need to use office cab facility I need to pay more then the ones who are not in lease policy and the interest I was paying was too much[14%]. The reason why I took the policy was to get some tax benefits but the tax saved got compensated with more interest paid and my office cab fees.
    The policy is good if I am utilizing office cab.

I started looking to transfer my car to another interested ones from my office. I met a guy who was looking for a well maintained Punto 90. As everything matched I transferred the lease to him. But it was not easy for me to do this as I had to convince myself first and then my family.

The Search

The search for another car started now!!

The new alternative is obviously a fiat Linea.

But I have these top questions in mind .......

1. Can I wait till 2014 for 1.6 Linea?

But for some reason the looks of upcoming linea is not impressive to me and though it is going to get the powerful engine, we don't know how the pricing will be for the face lifted one. So as of now I am sticking to current one though it is not finalized.

I went to RDC Fiat by 11th Jan and did a TD of 2012 Linea which had clocked just ~300 KMs. It was really awesome to drive that brand new vehicle, I think there is some tweaking in the tune when compared to 2011 vehicles, may be experts can comment. I wanted to TD others like Vento and Rapid as well.

Immediately I went to Sundaram Volkswagen showroom near satyam theater and took TD of Vento. The car looked nice, fit and finish of both interiors and exteriors are really great. I sat inside the Vento, the console was very simple and I felt the seat little bit hard and less comfortable when compared to my punto. People may think I am exaggeration, but this is what I felt. I started moving the car, I felt the engine is powerful when compared to Linea. But the steering and handling is not comparable to linea. It was very evident for that Linea is way ahead in this department. I came to know that they don't have free service :eek:. It appeared to me that the maintenance of the car will be high, again experts can comment.
    I started analyzing within myself between Vento and Linea.
    Power: Vento is having great power but am I going to race all the time?? If at all I need extra power I can get linea remapped by SID at any point of time.
    Maintenance: Clearly it looks like Vento maintenance will be more.
    Re-Sale: I am not doing any business with cars. Moreover I think it will be same.
    Brand Value: I care more about my experience than what others think :)

So... as of now I am Leaning towards Linea.

I want to drive Rapid and see[ You know I am not biased/obsessed :mischievous ].

I will keep posted as things go on .......

Now I am getting little confused regarding whether it is petrol or diesel as Govt has decided to increase diesel price by 50 paisa every month!

Best Regards
    Gopi
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I haven't driven the Vento, but i've had a fair amount of seat time in the Rapid. Here's how i felt about it. As an update to it, i drove that very same car when it had clocked 10,000km's and the engine felt a bit better, read smoother and less noisy than when it was new.

The only area where the Rapid scores over the Linea is in the engine - not because of refinement, but the sheer power on tap. That extra displacement does result in effortless driving. It's almost unfair to compare the two engines, 1.3 vs 1.6 - the 1.3 is no slouch, but it needs to be worked hard. The nice thing about the 1.3 is that it loves to rev, like a petrol.

Apart from that, the Linea bests the Rapid easily. It just needs the 1.6 Multijet with 120bhp & 320Nm to obliterate the competition. My sister drives the Rapid TDI daily and when she drove the Linea she was amazed at the sheer smoothness of the ride. Her only complaint was that the steering is heavy:sadblue. That puts the two cars and their differences in perspective. :)

Take a TD of the Rapid as well. If you can wait for a while, hold on for the new Linea. It promises to be even better.

Cheers.
  3. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    Little confused on the wait as the price range is not known for 1.6 linea. I am afraid of what if it falls on 13-14L Range!

Regards
    Gopi
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sad that you sold your 90HP. I have always felt that I made a wrong decision of selling my 90HP. Let's keep that aside now. :)

From the posts, it is clearly evident that you are more inclined towards Fiat and Linea and you are just finding some convincing posts from the members. I would say, go for it. Alternately, if you are ready to wait, just get a well maintained GTX/S10 for now and get the 1.6 when it is launched.
  5. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  7. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    The pain of wait.... will it end for me??

The July 2013 offers on linea diesel and T-Jet made me to consider the purchase of the new car again. I did a TD of T-Jet and was impressed with the performance.
    But I am confused on which one to choose as the price gap between emotion diesel and T-Jet is very narrow of mere ~20K. My family is favoring petrol vehicle as they think it involves less maintenance. But when I think of long drives I am for diesel.

Anyhow I am going to TD both the cars again along with my family members by this weekend and see how things will go.

Regards
    Gopi
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    There is no evidence of 1.6 linea and I would not pin my hopes on any automotive forum/journal on its actual arrival.
    So until such time as to when we can get proper info from FIAT and FIAT alone I would rather look elsewhere.

Now coming to the car per se.
    I dont know your driving conditions or how much you clock in a month but if petrol does justice to you then hands down I would say pick up the Tjet.
    If you are not satisfied with the power you can easily and Safely pump up the power to 140BHP and that trust me is mind blowing performance (dont ask me how i know this, i just know this).

if its a diesel your after then i dont have any opinions as i''m not able to think of any good car to substitute punto with.
    2 people like this.
  9. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    Hi Gopi,

I never believed when people said Fiats makes you addicted. But when i looking for drive in BGlore, in my mind i had already decided to go after the Punto. No matter how much i TD'ed other vehicles I was not satisfied. Again the other day, I TD'ed the Ford Ecosport after which I now firmly believe i will not be satisfied with any other vehicle ( on braking and Steering feedback aspects).

The refinement levels of fiat engines have become better with each passing year. Atleast that is what i felt with my Linea MJD(2011) and Punto MJD ( 2012) models.
    Punto engine is so smooth, you want to drive it in the city all the time while i felt older linea bit more difficult when compared in similar driving conditions. Even the NVH levels are better in 2012 models onwards

From your earlier figs you are commuting around 1700km per month. If you think you will maintain the same pace, Go for the MJD. Even if the prices go up, you have better fuel efficiency. Unfortunately that is the only factor which favors a diesel otherwise it is TJET all the way...No questions asked :)
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    Thanks 'theblack'

It is just Fiat vehicle for sure... So no doubts there.

Apart from 1.6 I was expecting MJD-II also, but we are not sure abt both in near future.

Regarding my usage, I will be clocking ~15K per annum and this will be mostly in highways. In city it will be just ~500KMs PM.

Regards
    Gopi