1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My new Fiat Grande Punto 90HP Bossa Nova White

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by redbull, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

redbull, the reason i could not write much of any ownership about my punto is only you . everything is like dejavu here.same feelings same experiences. i feel on top of the world. i was regularly enjoying every bits and word from you about punto..even though you posted the pics early but words came late and when it came felt like breeze....

you know what let me tell you.., try stopping your punto at steep roads and see the magic. there is no or very little effort to start over again that is due to extremely torquey first gear. where i used to struggle with my indica vista and where my other friends complain about the difficulty; such things do not exist for this punto. it just keep rolling thanks to that 209 nm torque whew!!

second gear has a long gap true . but it can be used for swift overtakings and it works. car goes like a rocket. especially when you are at bump-bump traffic in third gear,shift it to second(i was told by an old school fiatian ) pretty strange for other cars but punto will rush to 80 within split seconds. try keeping your foot on accel at 2nd gear.i think the the ecu mapping have been compensated for such sudden requirement in lower gears - i felt strange, probably have to learn new ways to tame italian machine.

jerk at gear shifting is really annoying and keeps reminding you that it is not regular car but infamous fiat punto..lol.....but i believe mastering it would make you one of the finest driver ..but be assured you will drive it without jerks one day..its not getting used to or something like that but related to knowing pulse of your engine/gear .

regarding the niggles i would recommend if you have some skills with screwdriver and some spare time (and obviously love) better fix it yourself .or call a trust worthy friend. better not waste your precious time in tass who know what all things may pop up next morning.
    its funny when i used to offer some challenging roads to my punto i would hear very very faint squeaks from doors ,under dash board etc..(please see they are very faint which could even be psychological as rest of family members couldn't hear it) the fun part is they have been self healing so far and never showed up. but still there is a faint tin tin sound from the left door ..i am getting ready with the screwdriver. :twisted:
  2. puntobihari

puntobihari

Baroda
    i also experience the jerky gear change in my 76 hp punto. but it is the sheer pleasure at highways that makes u forget these minor things. a week back did a 400 km round trip on highway from himmatnagar to baroda in my brand new punto and reached speeds of 160 kmph and i was wishing for some more power as the car was super stable at those speeds and really gave a very hard time to a verna, rest all did not even pose a challenge.
  3. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    In view of safety, Verna should not do 160. Somewhere I read Korean cars have chassis made of rubber. :mrgreen: (I own a Hyundai also).

Yes jayadev, taking off from stop on a slope in 1st gear is like being in automatic, take foot off from brake and press the accelerator. No nonsense of brake, handbrake, clutch, accelerator coordination. And infact if the turbo is spooling (1500 and above), it will climb good steep slopes and accelerate in any gear including the 5th - this is from experience. When the engine produces that growling sound - grr rrr rrr rrr - that is when it can climb any slope thrown at it.

At around 2500 rpm (100 kmph), engine note changes from growling to humming sound - somewhat loud in volume but I liked it - in fact I like the loud voice of the engine.

Yesterday I took her to Mysore - a total of 300 kms roundtrip. While returning, I could see people in tin cans like Maruti Omni driving as if they are playing Need For Speed on that busy highway at night time. Put an Indian behind wheels and he will lose all fear of death ::D . Of course I was not involved in the road party as good sense prevailed and also I had the engine to be runin. Once I got really mad, which I should not have done, one pesky guy was not overtaking a truck and was not giving pass also and a line of vehicles on the other lane will not let me move sideways to overtake, I was able to make snake like movements while accelerating to fill in gaps and move ahead of that convoy deadlock. This all the while in 5th gear. It is reassuring to know that so much accelerating power is at disposal when needed and the car chassis is able to handle really sharp movements at that speed. Actually people who were trying to "race" gave up after sometime, I could see headlights getting dimmer of the cars in that "race deadlock". But I was not going to "race", so I immediately slowed down after sometime when I reached the clear patch on highway. So one by one those cars came and went past. Ok I have the power, I have shown you, but I will not be irresponsible.
  4. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    I think the jerky gear change is because there is little overlap between the gears.

1. While upshifting the engine needs to be revved a little beyond comfort zone - I am constantly thinking of not reving beyond 2000 - 2500 rpm max, so I end up in jerky upshift. I think once I complete the runin, I will be psychologically prepared to rev the engine and get some overlap to the next gear. Actually the gear shift ratios seem to be tuned for petrol engines, which are naturally more rev happy than diesels.

2. While downshifting we need to slow down to the range of the lower gear otherwise again there will be a jerk as the engine will be revving a bit high at the lower gear.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i think it should be like: for 90hp though to avoid jerks...quick change on first is what i found great

1st 1000>2nd...2500 >3rd...2000.....
    second is very tall so it is better to give slow rpms in start to avoid the sudden drag.

else
    1st 2500 (3000)>2nd...2500 >3rd...2000.....as you said but head will bang on head rest..as by 2500 rpm it becomes a sudden power house on road.
    to compensate for drag in second gear, 3000rpm will provide enough torque for steadiness.

but the good thing is in city 2nd gear happens to be excellent i can forget about shifting alll together.
    and while as it can start from 2nd gear.
  6. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Changed stock headlamps to Philips XtremePower 60/55W H4. This is a really good upgrade.
    1. Though yellow light, beam is more whiter (color temperature higher).
    2. More intensity.
    3. Wide spread on high beam.

MRP Rs.1200/- per pair, got it at Rs.900/-. Made in Germany. Changing headlamps is a pain - cannot see from inside. Will have to manage with mental visualization while opening and closing the lamp clamps and look from the front - too many wires interfere.

Original headlamps - Osram also made in Germany.
  7. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Took my car to Pondicherry - through hell - NH66. I swear I'll never travel this route again. Scraped the underbelly 3 times, though I drove very carefully. I am surprised to see people have no love for their cars even new ones. For return I decided to come via Chennai on the absolutely butter smooth East Coast Road, though near Chennai it was hellish bumper to bumper traffic. I am in Chennai now, will start for Bangalore in a few hours (I am a late waking up person :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    wow look at the beauty-admiration guaranteed.
  9. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Thank you jayadev! I stopped at a petrol pump at Pondicherry and one Ford Figo full of people could not take their eyes off my car :wow
  10. redbull

redbull

Bangalore