1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My mini Maserati

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by GirishRaghu, Jan 1, 2012.

1. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Dear All,
    As the entire country is busy welcoming 2012, here I am writing my ownership review.
    Its been exactly one year today, since I got the delivery of my mini maserati. It was 31st Dec 2010, around 7 PM when I finally got the delivery of my 90 HP BNW GP from Galaxy Motors, Mulund, Mumbai.

Market Research -
    I had an Alto before, and was looking for a diesel hatch as my monthly run is in the range of 1500 - 2000 kms and so thought a frugal diesel hatch will help cut down my fuel bills. I am a die hard Fiat fan, so I was always inclined towards the GP but still, as per suggestions from my friends and colleagues did consider other hatches as well.

These are the ones I considered -
    1. Swift - Good car, one of my wife's favourite as well but then I wanted to go for something other than a Maruti. Besides, it has the same 1.3 multijet under the hood.

2. Fabia - Super hatch. Premium interiors, good brand image as well. But then, had an out-dated 3 cylinder engine and was way too expensive. I had also heard that the maintenance costs are also high.

3. Figo - Good hatch, but then lacked many features and I never liked its interiors.

4. Punto - Finally, did a TD of the punto, first alone and then with my Mom and wife. Both of them liked it.
    So, finally booked one from Galaxy Motors, Mulund. It was delivered on 31st Dec 2010, in the evening around 7 PM. Now one year down the line, I think I made a wise decision despite the fact that many people discouraged me and some had asked me to stay away from Fiat.

Experience -
    My Maserati has clocked 20,500 kms till date.
    The last one year with GP has been very exciting and thrilling. I am totally impressed by its ride and handling, it is undoubtedly the best riding hatch in the country. In a nutshell, it is "Queen of the highways". Rock solid stability at 3 digit speeds, execellent brakes, and returning terrific fuel efficiency figures all the time. During the monsoon when the city roads were fraught with pot holes of all sizes, the GP impressed with its ride quality. It just used to sail over most of the pot holes, looks like it is ready for anything that our roads throw at it.

Long trips -
    1. Mumbai - Shirdi.
    2. Mumbai - Daman & Silvasa.
    3. Many Mumbai - Nasik trips as I am from Nasik.

Likes -
    1. Looks. If looks could kill, my car would have killed many.
    2. Rock solid build.
    3. Ride and handling.
    4. Features. The Blue & Me is a very useful feature.

Dislikes -
    1. Dash - It is well laid out but then quality of materials used is not upto mark. Black color doesn't help much. This is one area which needs lots of improvement.
    2. Niggling issues - Of late, a wierd noise keeps emanating from the dash board. It is a very sporadic one. Guys at Galaxy motors could not fix it last time.
    Something wrong with the media player , since mid December, it keeps playing the same song over and over; doesn't move to the next song by itself.

Verdict -
    Overall, a very good hatch. It's road behaviour is excellent.
    I am planning to make a Mumbai - Chennai trip sometime this year; it is 12.55 AM :)
    I would definitely suggest Punto to people who are on the look out for a premium hatch.
    Fiat should definitely bring the Punto Evo to India with the Twin air and Multijet 2 engines.

Once again, wishing you all a very happy and prosperous 2012. Let us hope things change for the better for Fiat this year.

I will share more experiences later, as I look forward to another exciting year with my GP.

Cheers,
    Girish
    4 people like this.
  2. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Nice report. Keep rocking with the beast.

Wish you happy new year

Regards
    Vasu
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice review. Short, to the point. 90HP is such a good hatch.

This means you never read the manual thoroughly if you have already checked the loop settings of the windows media player. You have to turn the "Loop settings to OFF". Media Player settings can be accessed from the steering mounted controls.
    2 people like this.
  4. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Ah ok, let me give it a try.
    I am also looking for leather seat covers. How about the ones that are available on the Fiat portal? Has anyone got them ?
    In the pictures, they look very plush and premium so planning to buy one of them.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are talking about the U-Sport or U-chair seat covers shown on FIAT Portal, better to get them installed from outside from some good shop.

One advice- From wherever you get your seat covers done, if they remove the seats from the car, make sure two things:
    - They remove and put them back carefully as the metal part of the seat may damage your doors, dashboard or any part on which it strikes during removal if one is not cautious.
    - Seats are put back properly. So that there are no rattles from the seats.
  6. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Nice and crisp review. very much helpful for potential punto buyers n btw Congrats for your Maserati. :)
    An update on both the 5k and 15k service would help all punto/linea owners. Especially me, as i'm nearing 5k service. :cool:
  7. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The 5K service was a quick one, not much in it. All that was done was a wash, steering alignment, and some filter replacements. When my car was delivered to me, the sterring alignment was messed up; it used to pull towards the left and used to cause pain in the right hand. Luckily, the alignment done at first service was spot on and fixed the issue.
    In the second service, rear wiper blade was changed as the original one gave away.

The same thing, i.e. wash + steering alignment + oil change , was done during the second service as well, apart from the fixing of some niggling issues.

It might be worth going in for a routine service / check up, between 1st & 2nd service, as the interval is quite a long one.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Thanks Vasu. Wish you a happy and prosperous 2012 as well.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Girish, Congrats for the car. Black leather will give the interiors a premium look. Go for good quality one if the budget allow. In my Punto I spent 22K for stallion and I simply like the interior of my car.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Nice Review Girish,
    And of course who owns Fiat will never complain about its ride and the build quality. The TFI words goes perfect for it (Driven with Passion).
    No other car is a head turner as Punto/Linea even after 3 years of launch....
    1 person likes this.
  10. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks. I have decided to get the seat covers done from Orchis. Car Leather Seat Covers Mumbai, Car Seat Covers
    Any Mumbai members who have got the seat covers done from here, please suggest the one I should go for.