1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Linea's Dates With Punjab, J&K, HP, Uttarakhand And Chandigarh

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I am planning a 20 day-long trip of Bangalore-New Delhi-Amritsar-Srinagar-Manali/Rohtang Pass-Shimla-Chandigarh-Haridwar-New Delhi-Bangalore in my Linea with my family in August/September this year.

I would request the fellow-members to advise me on the following:

* Will it be okay to drive in my Linea to Srinagar and Rohtang Pass in August/first week of September this year? Will there be any issues like bottom-scraping of my Linea?

* Can I drive from Srinagar to Manali via Pathankot [674 km] in one day assuming that I leave Srinagar early in the morning?

* Do I have to take any special precautions while driving within J&K?

* This time, I want to take the North-South Corridor for my Bangalore-New Delhi stretch via Hyderabad/Nagpur/Jhansi/Gwalior/Agra on NH7/26/75/3/2 instead of GQ, which I did last year. Kindly enlighten me with the latest road conditions of this route.

* Advice on road conditions of New Delhi-Amritsar, Amritsar-Srinagar, Srinagar-Manali, Manali-Shimla, Shimla-Chandigarh, Chandigarh-Haridwar and Haridwar-New Delhi is also requested.

* Although I have MapMyIndiaLx130 navigator with v 6.0 maps, advice based on actual experience is welcome.

* Advice on vegetarian eateries along these routes and places of stay at Nagpur/Amritsar/Srinagar/Manali/Shimla/Chandigarh [budget: within Rs 3 k/night/room]

* I will be staying at Ginger Hotels, New Delhi [Vivek Vihar] and Haridwar.

Please advise me so that I can finalize the itinerary.
  2. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    Linea T-Jet
    One Important question:

When are you planning to do this madness?
  3. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Madness ? It would be pure fun.
  4. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    Linea T-Jet
    I know ..that's why I said madness.....
  5. Axn

Axn Regolare

GR8 trip, Sir. U r the boss.

Generally the monsoon would would have created their magic already and the re-carpetting of Manali-Rohtang road would be underway. Careful driving would take you to the pass. Around 22 yrs ago, I took a frnds Contessa to Rohtang Top just after it was opened. It was pure fun. Now a days roads are much better.

No way Sir, You may at best reach Pathankot. Pathankot to Manali would take another day.

Yes, time ur departure from ur loc such to stay clear of the convoys on the route. Else u may spend hours trailing in long convoys. These start from Jammu at 0730 to SXR and From SXR to Jammu at 0800 hrs. U are generally not allowed to overtake so it is better to start ahead of convoy from either side.
    The another famous bottleneck, Jawaher Tunnel is no longer closed to traffic during night. But avoid travelling during night on Jammu-SXR road. Else all the places are calm.

I know abt Agra Del, which is good. Only be careful abt tractor trolley which jump in from side roads unexpectedly fast.

NEw Delhi-Amritsar beyond panipat and upto Jullunder is under widening. Amritsar-Patanhkot-Jammu is not as wide but reasonably good. Pathankot-Manali is superbly scenic, travelled on this section long ago and traffic used to be thinner. Manali-Shimla is good in most of stretch except it is bit narrow in small stretches. Else Chandigarh-HAridwar is ok as is HAridwar -Delhi but both sections are crowded.

Will pm you my number. Once you are here in Nothern part, pls feel free to contact me for any help in SXR/Manali/JAmmu/Shimla. Once on JAmmu-SXR route, Do spare some time to visit Pir Panjal Railway tunnel which is at 11 km longest tunnel in India under construction. Which also happens to be my project, may be I will time my regular visit to meet u there at Banihal and also show u my project. In case u have time, do visit this.

Amritsar - KEsar da Dhaba, u dont need address for this. From Golden temple, ask any rickshaw wala.
    Srinagar - Luxmi Dhaba, Boulevard Road
    MAnali - No decent veg restaurant used to be there when I stayed there. There used to be a old dilapidated dhaba in manali market which used to give one dal one subzi without onion etc. It was always clean and good in taste. Welcome change from regular restaurant stuff. Will find out from my frnds and let u know.
    Chandigarh - Bhoj Restaurant in Sec 21 or 22??? Gurjinder or Yashik may help here.
    Shimla-Chd : Singh ka dhaba, Dharmpur. towards kalka.

Hope this is helpful. let me know if more info is needed.
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Thanks a lot, Vijyant, for detailed advice, which will enable me fine-tune my itinerary. I will PM you with more queries in due course of time!
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for finally heading to this place J Ravi sir. :dance

I am living in Chandigarh since 1986 (when I was one year old) but I haven't yet seen this 10x12km city completely myself. Me and TFI member Varoon999 got lost when I was the navigator during his recent visit to the city. :p

So, though I am not so good at it but, I would advise "Doaba Sweets" in Sector-22, Chandigarh. They have a nice place to eat "Chana Bhatura". Also, there is this Khyber restaurant in Sector-35 with a very nice Arabian themed decoration. Reasonable rates as well.

As seen in this photo, there are lots of hotels in Sec-35 and Sec-22

Hotel sites in Chandigarh.jpg

There are a number of hotel providing good accommodation upto Rs2000/day. I think it would be best if you select accommodation in Sector-35 as it is the heart of the city and all POIs will be just at a max 2.0-3.5km away. And you can have anything to eat at walking distance of 50-200 meters, whether it's fast food, snacks, breakfast, lunch or dinner.
    Or Sector-22 because it is adjacent to Sector-17, the commercial sector of Chandigarh.

See this page:

Sir, hope I'll be able to meet you when you are here. :)
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

+1 to Paddle

It'll be an honour to have J Ravi sir in our City Beautiful Chandigarh.

When in Punjab, do not miss out on our traditional Aloo Pratha with loads of butter and curd. :)

Do keep us updated on your itinerary.

9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Thanks, YB and gurjinder. Sure, let's meet during my stay at Chandigarh.
    How can I afford to miss my yummy, yummy favourite dishes, that too, where they originated!;)
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    J Ravi sir hats off to your energy.

We are also planning to visit Rohtang Pass in August/September. Date is yet not finalised. We will be leaving from Pune.

Now I am in search of used Linea MJD. Once I get the car I will finalise the date of this trip.

Lets meet somewhere in our trip.

Guys keep posting this will help us ( J Ravi & Me )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.