1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Linea Visits God's Own Country

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Apr 26, 2011.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I returned to Bangalore yesterday [25 April 2011] morning from my Kerala trip.

While going, on Friday [22 April 2011], I took the route of Bangalore>Maddur [SH 17 - 4 lane]>[SH33] Malavalli>Kollegala> Chamarajnagar> Sathyamangalam [NH 209 - 2 lane]>Coimbatore>[NH47] Kochi.

The road [SH33] from Maddur to Malavalli was bad with a lot of potholes for a distance of about 25 km. But, after reaching NH 209, the scenerio changed completely. The road was very good all the way to Chamrajnagar. After crossing into Tamil Nadu, it became excellent all the way to Coimbatore. The scenic beauty of the Dimbum Ghats was simply breathtaking. We had a photo session en route at Dimbum.

The road from Coimbatore to Thrissur was rough and patchy. I didn't enjoy driving on this stretch. Thrissur to Kochi was a nice 4-lane road that ensured smooth ride although some flyovers were still under construction.

I met TFI member Deepu at Kochi. We had a nice interaction regarding tourist venues and the route to be taken for my return journey apart from our respective FIAT Linea.

After staying in Ernakulam for two days, we went to Kayamkulam to attend a marriage on Sunday [24 April 2011]. Though it was Easter Sunday, traffic on NH47 from Kochi to Kayamkulam was more than expected. Here too, I didn't enjoy my drive.

After lunch, we left Kayamkulam to Trichy/Bangalore via Mavelikkara>Kanjirapalli>Mundakkayam>Kumily>Theni> Dhindukkal>Trichy>Salem>Krishnagiri. I enjoyed each and every moment of my driving on this route, thanks to Deepu, who recommended this route. We had clicked many photographs on the way. If one wants to enjoy the Nature with leisurely drive, then this is the route to take.

I reached Bangalore after finishing my work at Trichy. The photographs are to follow.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    We await your photographs :D
    As usual you munching away highway miles, keep going and enjoying the beauty :)
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Viny, for nice words. I am editing the photographs and would post them here as soon as I complete the editing.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Photographs Clicked During My Kerala Trip

Here are some photographs clicked during my Kerala trip.

My MapMyIndia [MMI] Lx130 navigator recommended this route: Bangalore-Maddur-Kollegala-Chamrajnagar-Sathyamangalam-Coimbatore-Kochi. The distance from my home to The Senate, Kochi [where we had stayed] was shown as 504 km and the expected time of arrival as 2:38 pm. I had decided to follow MMI's recommendation in letter and spirit.
    MMI route.jpg MMI guide.jpg
    We left our Basaveswara Nagar home a few minutes after 3:00 am.
    TimeToStart.JPG
    Our first break was at Dimbum for about 10 minutes for clicking some nice photographs. Then, we halted at Bannari Mariamman temple for about 30 minutes for darshan. Later, we breakfasted at Hotel Annapoorna, Ramakrishna Hospital, Coimbatore, for about 1 hour. Afterwards, our Linea had its tankful of petrol at HP COCO retail outlet at Avinashi Road and continued our journey.

We reached The Senate, Ernakulam, at 2:30 pm. Here are some vital statistics of my fabulous Fiat Linea. As against 504 km, the distance shown by MMI, my Linea's MID recorded 512.7 km. FE of 13.3 kmpl, including Dimbum Ghat section and Coimbatore/Kochi city traffic, was also great.:up
    FE.jpg ActualDistance.jpg
    JourneyTime.jpg AvSpeed.jpg
    More photographs are in the queue.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Photographs at Dimbum

See the dew deposited on the stems and branches of the plants in this photograph shot at Dimbum.
    DimbumGhat1.JPG
    The road to Dimbum was silky smooth and continued like that all the way to Coimbatore. See the bamboo forest on both the sides of the road to Dimbum.
    DimbumGhat2.jpg
    The entire area was surrounded by fog and mist.
    DimbumGhat6.JPG DimbumGhat7.JPG
    My Linea posing for a snap with fog and mist giving background support.
    DimbumGhat4.jpg DimbumGhat5.jpg
    The descend from Dimbum to Bannari comprised 27 hairpin bends.
    DimbumGhat3.jpg
    More photographs are waiting to get exposed here.
    3 people like this.
  6. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Amazing pictures Ravi Ji, i envy you. You get to go to so many exotic places...........guess i still have to wait 35 years for my retirement......!!!!!!
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Perfect roads to test the Linea's abilities!
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, ansal11 and gurjinder, for the compliments.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Kochi Travelogue

My Kochi Travelogue continued.

Another snap taken while descending the Dimbum Ghat:
    DimbumGhat8.jpg
    We had stopped for about 30 minutes at Bannari Mariamman temple for darshan. Later, we breakfasted at Hotel Annapoorna, Ramakrishna Hospital, Coimbatore, my Linea had its tankful of petrol at HP COCO retail outlet at Avinashi Road and we continued our journey to Kochi. We lunched at another Hotel Annapoorna [nothing to do with the famous Coimbatore chain] at Areekal Jn., NH 47. We reached The Senate, Ernakulam, Kochi, by 2:30 pm. While we rested at our rooms, my Linea did so at the secured car parking.
    TheSenate.jpg TheSenate2.jpg
    In the evening, we went for a walk to Marine Drive [Shanmugham Road] which is just a km away from The Senate. We enjoyed a nice boat ride.
    Kochi1.jpg Kochi2.jpg
    Kochi3.jpg Kochi4.jpg
    We returned to The Senate and had a sumptuous dinner, thanks to the free dinner offer for booking two nights through makemytrip.com, and called it a day.

Travelogue to continue.
    1 person likes this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Kochi Travelogue

We had a busy Saturday [23 April 2011]. We left The Senate at 9 am for Mattancherry after complimentary breakfast with a good spread of delicious dishes. My MMI navigator played a perfect guide. We visited Mattancherry Palace. Then, we had stroll at Jew Street. But, the synagogue was closed, so we couldn't visit it.
    ClockTower.jpg
    JewStreet.jpg
    We visited the nearby International Tourism Police Station and Police Museum, which was worth-seeing.
    PoliceMuseum3.jpg
    PoliceMuseum.jpg
    We saw this painting at the Police Museum that depicted the old trading under barter system. It showed spices were bartered for chinaware.
    PoliceMuseum2.jpg
    Later, we visited St. Francis Church at Fort Kochi. Vasco Da Gama, the first European navigator from Portugal to India, was laid to rest in this church in 1524 AD. Later, his mortal remains were removed and taken to Portugal in 1538 AD by his son.
    StFrancisChurch.jpg
    We returned to The Senate, parked my Linea there and walked to the nearby Abhirami pure veg restaurant at Banerji Road. We had hearty Kerala style veg full meal costing just Rs 40 each. The unpolished rice served in Kerala was not only tasty, but also healthy. The pink-coloured warm drinking water soaked with aromatic roots was also good. After such wonderful meal, it goes without saying that we returned to the hotel for siesta!
    Kochi5.jpg
    In the evening, we drove to Subhash Bose Park as suggested by fellow-TFI member deepu [Sunny]. We enjoyed strolling on the walk-way. Later, Sunny joined us. Myself and Sunny discussed the matters relating to Linea. He clarified my doubts regarding the route to be taken for my return journey. He suggested BTH for our dinner and the nearby IOCL Civil Supplies pump for my Linea. He could not join us for dinner due to Easter festivities. After thanking him, I drove in to IOCL Civil Supplies pump for tankful of petrol for my Linea. Petrol costs Rs 61.49 per litre here.
    Ravi&Sunny1.jpg
    Ravi&Sunny2.jpg
    More to come.
    3 people like this.